Freight Photos Limerick Christmas 2012

Rate this topic

Excellent collection Richie. I am particularly taken by the pics of the chassis and J hangers on the ballast wagons. The whole collection will prove to be a great resource for multiple modelling exercises. It's sad though to see most of those wagons parked up and not working any more. These are invaluable pics and thanks for posting them.

Rich,

Great photo's Richie, didn't realise there was such an array of stock still lying about, particularly the bulk cement wagons, thought they had met the cutter's torch a long time back. Do you think it would be possible to get close enough to get some detail shots or are they completely inaccessible.

Apologies for not thanking you for these pics earlier Rich!

The detail shots of the ballast wagon(s) where just what I was looking for - I'm trying to size up my next (mini) project, and I've always had a strange attraction to per way paraphernalia.

With those detail shots of the bogie timber wagons, I can see how they were constructed - strategic cutting and shutting of the ex 4 wheeler upper decks on a 40ft bogie flat. In fact, looking at them again, you could do the same with the Shapeways uppers and a Hornby lower....

Hmmm... :D

-Rob

Great photo's Richie, didn't realise there was such an array of stock still lying about, particularly the bulk cement wagons, thought they had met the cutter's torch a long time back. Do you think it would be possible to get close enough to get some detail shots or are they completely inaccessible.

They appear to be on the storage sidiings out beyond the carriage/freight works area completely, and the only way I can figure that a photo is possible, is if you commit yourself to St. John's Mental Home alongside and hop the fence, you might be able to get some shots. However, to preserve your sanity, I have a couple of vids taken from DMU's heading for the junction, just focussing on freight, which I can upload to the toob. They were taken pretty much every time I went home, so there should be a fair amount floating about on the hard drive. (locos don't do it for me so it's just freight:tumbsup:)

Rob,

I reckon if you made a couple of 42' bogie flats, you could swap out almost the entirety of heavy goods simply by changing the load carried - Anything from cable trains, to rail laying trains, bogie transporters, wheel carriers, timbers, PW spoil wagons, and so on. It's such a versatile unit I don't suspect that IE will be doing away with them any time soon. Does that give you more scope for headscratching? ;)

I'm glad they're of some use and hopefully may encourage the "red oxide all over" crew to look at puny freight wagons in a different way. Check out the bogie detail of the 42' flat, most of it is rusty green! Rich, if I put numbers and arrows on the ballast wagon photo, you think you could annotate what's what? I haven't an earthly idea what a J hanger is :confused:

I have higher res versions if anyone wants them, just drop me a note. Richie.

Guest hidden-agenda

DSCF6634paint.jpg

A j iron (circled)

A W iron is the big piece the axle box is sticking out of.

Compliments of the Red oxide brigade.

Edited by hidden-agenda