"The Quiet American", opening sequence - what was the locomotive ...

Rate this topic

Roger Vipond

Hello there, from freezing and soggy London Town ...

Let be begin with a confession. I am a pure-bred Englishman, and as such, not sure if I'm allowed to post on this site!

But, if no-one objects, and as a Railway Modeller, I have a very simple question ...

Prompted by a visit last night from my Irish mate, Gerry Gilligan by name, I'd really like to find out the type of locomotive that was filmed in the opening sequence of The Quiet American.  It turns out that Gerry's late father was himself an engine driver for the CiE. Amazingly, he was also present at the station when that opening sequence was being filmed!

Gerry looked at a couple of my 00 locos, and said they reminded him of the locos his Dad used to drive.  One of them was an 0-6-0 Johnson 3F. So ...

If any of you kind folk could help me, I'd love to try and recreate a part of Gerry's history ...

With kind regards and thanks.  Roger. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Hi Roger - I’m Irish but live off the Met line so not far from you’. Welcome to the forum. Loco is an GSWR 52 class 4-4-0, no 59. You’d be looking at a very elderly English 4-4-0 to recreate that!!! 

Class D17 -   1 - Aspinall GSWR Class 52 4-4-0 - built 1890 by inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1953.

At the very least the cab would need to be completely replaced on an English loco!

• Like 1

Welcome Roger,

About the 3F - perhaps it reminded your pal of the 101/J15 locomotives https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS%26WR_Class_101. These were the most numerous class of steam locomotives in Ireland. OO Works are currently doing a RTR model of them.

By the way,  Hatton's Genesis coaches in the dark green CIÉ livery would be a reasonable approximation of the carriages making up the train in the Quiet Man ... and also hauled by the 101s too

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1484058/1000588/1000636/1000830/hattons_originals_oo_gauge_1_76_scale_coaches_republic_of_ireland/sceneprodlist

Edited by Flying Snail

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Depends on the loco….;) 

34 E&MR Eastern & Midland Railway livery class A 4-4-0 rebuild

New smoke box door and get ride of the outside cylinders…

presumably a model of that has not been made cause if it was…

9 minutes ago, Flying Snail said:

Welcome Roger,

About the 3F - perhaps it reminded your pal of the 101/J15 locomotives https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GS%26WR_Class_101. These were the most numerous class of steam locomotives in Ireland. OO Works are currently doing a RTR model of them.

By the way,  Hatton's Genesis coaches in the dark green CIÉ livery would be a reasonable approximation of the carriages making up the train in the Quite Man ... and also hauled by the 101s too

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1484058/1000588/1000636/1000830/hattons_originals_oo_gauge_1_76_scale_coaches_republic_of_ireland/sceneprodlist

The dark green hattons coaches would be almost perfect 

I would say a 101 too. They worked till the end of steam in Ireland….and beyond 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Hi Roger - I’m Irish but live off the Met line so not far from you’. Welcome to the forum. Loco is an GSWR 52 class 4-4-0, no 59. You’d be looking at a very elderly English 4-4-0 to recreate that!!! 

Class D17 -   1 - Aspinall GSWR Class 52 4-4-0 - built 1890 by inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1953.

1884 to be precise, McDonnells 38 class for the North Eastern Railway, originally fitted with the more familiar double smokebox doors as per the 52 class

158 McDonnell NER Class '38' 4-4-0 Locomotives

Edited by Killian Keane
  • Like 3