-
Posts
861 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
3
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by Flying Snail
-
Dunshaughlin Harvest Festival - Model Railway event September 2026
Flying Snail replied to MikeO's topic in What's On?
Looks like a nice event - good selection of models and layouts. Will it become an established festival event now, do you think? -
Wow! They look excellent!
-
Cork, Blackrock & Passage pre-1900 (5'3" gauge)
Flying Snail replied to Mol_PMB's topic in General Chat
There's also a faded picture of a bridge and the permanent way on the National Library's website in the Joshua H. Hargrave Collection. Not sure if its 5' 3" or 3' - I think its the former, but someone more knowledgeable can confirm: https://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000289089 -
Cork, Blackrock & Passage pre-1900 (5'3" gauge)
Flying Snail replied to Mol_PMB's topic in General Chat
The National Museum of Ireland also have a photographic reproduction of a photograph from the Locomotive Magazine, Engine number 1, C.B. and P.R. Sharp single tank engine No. 1. https://www.museum.ie/collections/collection/object-159691/?return=%2Fcollections%2Fcollection%2F%3Flimit%3D100%26page%3D3%26term%3Drailway%26media%3Dyes edit: it appears to be a reproduction of the same photo as the transportsofdelight one linked above -
Brass etches for Mol's GSWR 50ft GSWR third - ORDERING NOW!
Flying Snail replied to jhb171achill's topic in Irish Models
Here's the link to the main thread with details on pricing and ordering process https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/19825-gswr-50-open-gangwayed-coaches/page/3/#findComment-284384 -
Interesting Early Irish Railway photos
Flying Snail replied to Westcorkrailway's topic in General Chat
There's also some models, diagrams etc on the NMI website. This is a rear view of the Dublin and Kingstown Railway locomotive Alexandra: https://www.museum.ie/collections/collection/object-166396/?return=%2Fcollections%2Fcollection%2F%3Fterm%3Drailways%26limit%3D100 images of side and front views can be found there too. Here's a front view: https://www.museum.ie/collections/collection/object-159643/?return=%2Fcollections%2Fcollection%2F%3Fpage%3D2%26term%3Drailway%26media%3Dyes%26adv_sub%5B%5D%3DHistorical%2BCollection and here's a side view: https://www.museum.ie/collections/collection/object-166397/?return=%2Fcollections%2Fcollection%2F%3Fpage%3D3%26term%3Drailway%26media%3Dyes%26adv_sub%5B%5D%3DHistorical%2BCollection -
Interesting Early Irish Railway photos
Flying Snail replied to Westcorkrailway's topic in General Chat
@cheesy_peas found an interesting railway collection on the National Museum of Ireland page (thread here) , and its thrown up some interesting images, like this one dated 1942 of GSWR 1st class carriage 282 https://www.museum.ie/collections/collection/object-166391/?return=%2Fcollections%2Fcollection%2F%3Fterm%3DGreat%20Southern%20and%20Western%20Railway%26media%3Dyes%26adv_sub%5B%5D%3DHistorical%20Collection -
National Museum of Ireland, railway collection
Flying Snail replied to cheesy_peas's topic in General Chat
Looks like it .... the third image in that sequence has 'Pat' written on it too I've been having a play with this site and there's more images there than I originally thought - the original link cheesy_peas posted was for 54 items filtered for items associated with the GNR. If you knock off the filters, a search for "railway" then returns just over 250 items with a wider range of railways and subjects: https://www.museum.ie/collections/collection/?term=railway&media=yes&adv_sub[]=Historical+Collection -
They look great - crying out to be modelled indeed!
-
National Museum of Ireland, railway collection
Flying Snail replied to cheesy_peas's topic in General Chat
... and here's something for the bus aficionados: a tin plate bus repainted in yellow with 'CIE Cavan' added https://www.museum.ie/collections/collection/object-11020696/?return=%2Fcollections%2Fcollection%2F%3Fterm%3DC%C3%B3ras%20Iompair%20%C3%89ireann%26media%3Dyes crude but quaint ... it must have many given many hours of pleasure to some Cavan child fadó -
National Museum of Ireland, railway collection
Flying Snail replied to cheesy_peas's topic in General Chat
Thanks for sharing - there's some lovely photos there, whatever about the dates. I ran another search for the keyword 'train' and it threw up some interesting items https://www.museum.ie/collections/collection/?term=train&media=yes ... including this lovely model 0-4-2 'Bray': https://www.museum.ie/collections/collection/object-30320/?return=%2Fcollections%2Fcollection%2F%3Fterm%3Dtrain%26media%3Dyes -
I'd get on board that train. 071 hauled Mk3s = peak nostalgia for me. I'd probably end up buying a few 071s if they're re-released. I have only one 071, and its not in one of my preferred IR/IE tippex liveries but I got it for a good(ish) price before the second hand prices went completely mad. However, given that there's still plenty of the new batch of 141/181s available I wonder if the market for re-runs of Irish locos is a bit soft at the moment?
-
Roger! Sorry about that commerlad, I don't know how I mixed you two up ... maybe it was the fish I had for dinner?
-
thats some nice looking benchwork and cabinets!
-
Good views of it in Dublin. Brought back memories of '99 when when I squinted at it from a mark 2 set on my way down to Rosslare Europort
-
Never heard of them either, but from that middle video you can clearly see they operate Spain's high speed fleet .. with a few 37s thrown in for good measure WH Davis vid was very interesting though, I look forward to Leslie's photos!
-
crikey .... that was a holiday to remember. Thanks very much for sharing, and I hope the treatment continues to go well.
-
According to this there were a couple of specials out of Westport (one had a connection from Ballina), another special from Sligo, and .........<checks notes>.... Dundalk. https://www.dublinpublictransport.ie/blog/irish-rail-adds-extra-trains-for-all-ireland-football-final
-
Didn't realise tractors had graduated to top link services but hey ... Massey is classy but if she ain't blue, she won't do!
-
I have the first edition of Iain Rice's Cameo Layouts book, are there many changes in the new expanded version?
-
I would expect there would be copyright issues (Irish and UK copyright law i think is pretty similar), whether or not the copyright holder is prepared to do anything is a different matter. If you want to avoid copyright issues, you could reference the Irish stuff - issue, page nos, author and title etc. so that people can go source the article themselves.
-
Part 2: I went and purchased two more pre-owned Cravens this week from the main Rails of Sheffield website. This time the ex. VAT value of the goods was below the €150 customs threshold. UK VAT was paid at point of purchase, as before and so was a £3.15 customs duties fee (I presume this is the €3 plus some sort of handling charges) ... and then that was it. The two carraiges were delivered to Dublin without any further customs charges or handling charges being applied by An Post. Something to note, the €150 customs charge threshold is calculated in the ex. VAT value of the goods before Rails added in UK VAT. Edit: Also I should note, the £3.15 customs duties fee was applied just once.
-
Carriages of the Schull & Skibbereen Railway
Flying Snail replied to Wexford70's topic in General Chat
Agreed - it really makes these much easier to find in future. -
I'd say, given that the painted sample has had a spin around New Junction, it’s safe to assume the model is currently being reviewed, or has been very recently, and that we can expect an update once they have some feedback from that process. To be fair, they’re very good at letting us know once they have news to share. I take the project status page with a large pinch of salt until the model actually moves into the “In Transit” stage. So many issues can crop up during the tooling and production stages that those deadlines are aspirational at best. That’s just the nature of the beast. Accurascale have a great crew of project managers, but there’s only so much they can do if a factory makes a mistake or if the FIFA Peace Prize laureate decides very strongly to make international trade and shipping rather more interesting than it needs to be.
-
National Library of Ireland publication permissions
Flying Snail replied to Mol_PMB's topic in General Chat
Thats very restrictive - you should revert back to them to tell them why you can't sign the permission form.
.png.c363cdf5c3fb7955cd92a55eb6dbbae0.png)