JM Design March 2023 Update: Resumed production and some new wagons!

Rate this topic

Mayner

We have resumed production of 3D printed wagons, a number of variations of GSR/CIE Covered Wagons (H Vans) available to order from our web site. https://jmdesignmodelrailways.com/.

While a small quantity of Covered Wagons are available from stock, I am planning to introduce a pre-order system to assist in our production planning and respond to demand.

We have been unable to identify a supplier capable of printing wagon chassis in a resin with similar resilient characteristics to our original supplier, our wagon chassis are now printed in a nylon material using the SLS process for its strength and resilience, our wagon bodies are printed in a detail plastic using the SLA process because of its visual process.

IMG_4400.thumb.jpg.bbfbb153a384eb73fa2c0a0e6eee9581.jpg

While the SLA process used by our new supplier is capable of re-producing finer detail than our original supplier, the trade off is that the detail resin is rigid and brittle and not really suitable for wagon chassis.

The SLS process used in the chassis results in a slightly coarse finish when viewed in close up.

New Models: planned release July 2023.

We produced test prints of new models including 2 variants of the Brake Van and a variant of the GSWR van while out of production, but there was little point in ordering decals until we resolved our printing problems.

IMG_4402.jpg.e1dc679a61043b5069095f8f65641252.jpg

20T Brake planked body with sheeted duckets.

Based on an early 70s photo of 23544 the ducket sides covered in sheet metal.

IMG_4405.jpg.e7f315176b9dd2b1561711b348d92c58.jpg

20T Brake Van, Cabin sheeted in plywood, with pressed metal duckets, planked balconies.

Based on a photo of 23508.

IMG_440717103.jpg.26827de2bfd3abc207bcd6302f1818ff.jpg

10Ton ex-GSWR/GSR 10T Covered Wagon aluminium body sheeting planked doors.

Based on an early 70s photo of 15653

I am planning to prepare decal sheets for these wagons with additional running numbers, but currently only have one running number for each type!

I would appreciate it if anyone can provide further running numbers of these variants.

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...

Some completed wagons!

IMG_4481.jpg.d17b3b3e9dd30ce726a4d350db217492.jpg

20T Brake with metal sheeted duckets 23544

Based on a late 60s early 70s photo of the van in Tralee complete with torpedo roof vents.

I am planning to supply this version of the brake van in undecorated CKD form complete with decals and roof vents on a pre-order basis 12-14 week delivery.

IMG_4471.jpg.f33a0e9a98342f2aca8ea8b7c5537e5f.jpg

"Hybrid" ex-GSWR van 15653 with metal sheeted sides and ends planked doors, I am again planning to release this van in undecorated CKD form with decals (Snail & Wheel) & running nos.

IMG_4473.jpg.014040e9c12cba6f5e17ba4e80639c3f.jpg

CIE 1946 H Van 17200. with metal sheeted body.  currently available from stock in CKD form with CIE snail and wheel logos and choice of 10 sets of running nos.

The LMA and ex-GSWR planked van are also currently available from stock.

John

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

HI guys I am thinking outside of the box here.

I wonder if a deal could be done so that John produces a run of say 20 wagons of each type and IRM could then do the importing and distribution bit, I wonder if that could bring the postage cost down to make it viable for a lot more of us to encourage this sort of joint working, what do you all think could it work?

Colin

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Colin R said:

I wonder if a deal could be done so that John produces a run of say 20 wagons of each type and IRM could then do the importing and distribution bit, I wonder if that could bring the postage cost down to make it viable for a lot more of us to encourage this sort of joint working, what do you all think could it work?

Colin

Only problem I can see with that is IRM's Midas touch. Suddenly, twenty of each wouldn't be enough.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Colin R said:

Colin

I went down the direct sales Shopify route because sales and distribution through IRM and retailers like Marks, Rails and Hattons would have resulted in a significant increase in the price point of our models even before UK or Irish vat was added, which would not have excatly helped sales.

The underlying problem is the relatively low level of demand for Irish pre-Liner Train era wagons and the fact that a kit or 3D printed model cannot compete on price point with a mass-produced plastic injection molded Far-Eastern models.

Initial feed back when we sent samples to model railway clubs in Dublin was that people 'could not see the point" of paying a higher price point for an accurate model of an Irish wagon than they could buy a rtr model of a similar British Rail wagon at a lower price.

Edited by Mayner
  • Informative 5

On 12/4/2023 at 4:43 AM, Mayner said:

Some completed wagons!

IMG_4481.jpg.d17b3b3e9dd30ce726a4d350db217492.jpg

20T Brake with metal sheeted duckets 23544

Based on a late 60s early 70s photo of the van in Tralee complete with torpedo roof vents.

I am planning to supply this version of the brake van in undecorated CKD form complete with decals and roof vents on a pre-order basis 12-14 week delivery.

IMG_4471.jpg.f33a0e9a98342f2aca8ea8b7c5537e5f.jpg

"Hybrid" ex-GSWR van 15653 with metal sheeted sides and ends planked doors, I am again planning to release this van in undecorated CKD form with decals (Snail & Wheel) & running nos.

IMG_4473.jpg.014040e9c12cba6f5e17ba4e80639c3f.jpg

CIE 1946 H Van 17200. with metal sheeted body.  currently available from stock in CKD form with CIE snail and wheel logos and choice of 10 sets of running nos.

The LMA and ex-GSWR planked van are also currently available from stock.

John

These are all very appealing for my next project John, order(s) will be forthcoming...

I have bought a few of these wagons, three brake wagons, two 17012-17211 series wagons, two LMA wagons, two 15147-16812 series wagons and two 12 ton open wagons. And I do intend to buy more. They do work out expensive  with the NZsterling/euro conversion and then import tax when they arrive here, but i like the idea that they are uniquely Irish and I like to support anyone manufacturing Irish stock.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, the Bandon tank said:

I have bought a few of these wagons, three brake wagons, two 17012-17211 series wagons, two LMA wagons, two 15147-16812 series wagons and two 12 ton open wagons. And I do intend to buy more. They do work out expensive  with the NZsterling/euro conversion and then import tax when they arrive here, but i like the idea that they are uniquely Irish and I like to support anyone manufacturing Irish stock.

Exactly the same here.

Currency conversion, postage, import taxes and a handling fee all take their toll, but it's worth it to support somebody manufacturing Irish stock.

Posted this video of John's wagons before but it's worth posting again:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, the Bandon tank said:

They do work out expensive  with the NZsterling/euro conversion and then import tax when they arrive here.

Without going into too much detail its unlikely that shifting production and distribution to Ireland or the UK would lead to a reduction in the price paid by customers for our 3D printed wagons.

Basically its cheaper to print our wagons in New Zealand and Asia than in Europe. Higher printing costs are likely to cancel out any savings on shipping if I moved manufacture and distribution to Ireland or the UK.

The bottom line is that 3D printing is only really suitable for prototyping (one offs) or low volume production which comes with a higher price tag than a similar mass produced item.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 2