Anyone remember Leisure World?

Rate this topic

Darius43

Located in Queen Street in central Belfast - the Belfast Model Shop was next door and the sporting goods shop (and school uniform supplier) SS Moore was across the road as I recall.

I spent many a Saturday morning in their model railway section.  They even had a few continental HO items (mainly Fleischmann) in a locked glass cabinet.

Happy Days 😀

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Recall it well. We had a few Mainline locos out of it. The modelling side gradually got smaller I think even before the whole outfit shut. I seem to recall a display layout ?? https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/history/leisure-world-belfast-toy-shop-22207332?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

Most definitely.  The model railway section was initially on the right as you entered on the ground floor, then it moved up to the first floor to the far left.  Jim, Gary and others were the people I remember, there were many others, including a particularly grumpy older gentleman who yelled at me once when I was looking through a catalogue, firing out some cr*p about it being a shop and not a library - my mother went back down immediately and gave off to the manager who must have been a bit intimidated by her because she got an apology from him.....

The Model Shop was great, seemed to have more in the way of radio controlled stuff etc then it moved to smaller premises further down Queen Street under new management before relocating out to Boucher Road, before ceasing trading altogether.

• Like 3

I have been to Leisureworld number of time.

In Summer 1978 trip to Belfast by ulsterbus with family and stopping by checkpoint patrols Three times - Old A4 road near dungannon, M1 moira and M1 at end at roundabout to city centre via Donegall Road (no westlink traffic until 1981). 

I went into leisureworld and I see large stock of Hornby stuff (too many red package!).

In early 1980s it stock large of Hornby and lima stuff, Some Peco, Airfix, Mainline, wrenn, fleischmann and Farish N gauge.

But in from 1989 it stock Hornby only, All other brands to clear out to half price. In later 1997 it no long stock trains but Model shop back selling model trains.

Internet begin from 1994 see leisureworld sales falling in the next few years and insurance and rates goes up but Owner David Crowe forced closed doors in April 1998 with 40 lost jobs after 22 years in business.

Do you remember Frederick and Thomas toy shop on North street and Great Victoria street opposite Europa hotel? It did sell triang to Hornby, Dinky toys  vehicles etc - I brought damage boxed diesel hymek from preowner told me and bomb damage up to half price sale trains in 1976,  F & T toys shop in belfast ceased trading in 1983.

Edited by steventrain
  • Like 2

Yes, I remember Leisureworld. In fact, when going through model stuff recently, I found a few items with Leisureworld price stickers! A visit there was usually an effective bribe to get my brother and myself to not moan too much about the other boring shopping that my parents did insist on doing when we made trips to Belfast from the bucolic depths of Co. Down in the late 70s/early 80s.

Michael

• Like 1