Anyone had problems with Silverfox DMU bogies?

Rate this question

Mike 84C

Question

I ask because I have been tasked with repairing a bogie off our CIE AEC DMU, it looks a a very flimsy concoction made of different types of plastics which I think rules out glue. And the wheels jump out of the frames at the slightest excuse! I have a plan! which involves making a brass subframe to support the wheels and bolting it to the existing bogie frame.  Onward into the unknown!

i think the problem has been caused by by bigfingershortsightedismness so a rerailing ramp would be a good plan.  :dig:

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

I ask because I have been tasked with repairing a bogie off our CIE AEC DMU, it looks a a very flimsy concoction made of different types of plastics which I think rules out glue. And the wheels jump out of the frames at the slightest excuse! I have a plan! which involves making a brass subframe to support the wheels and bolting it to the existing bogie frame.  Onward into the unknown!

i think the problem has been caused by by bigfingershortsightedismness so a rerailing ramp would be a good plan.  :dig:

Look at my workbench Mike. I had big issues with mine 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Eoin, totally agree with that idea but I am going down the armour plate route as these run on a club layout and the members are not always gentle in the handling department. The plastic frames will become cosmetic.

Mick

MJT & Wizard (Comet) produce reasonably priced rigid bogie frames. https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2556.php may have something suitable for the Silver Fox AEC railcar

Thanks for that John, its the shape I was thinking of and  dart  produce a 10ft WB version which will substitute for the Silverfox bogie if my plan does not work.  I would like to beef up the S/F bogie as it has the coupling and bogie centre fixing pin moulded in. But nice to have a plan B.

Mick