Abbey Jnct Signal Box being removed.

Rate this topic

With the closure of the New Ross line and the planned new development of a station opposite the clock tower in Waterford as part of the North Quays development, Abbey Junction Signal Box is soon to be removed by the contractors, BAM. 

Edited by Wexford70
  • Like 1
  • Informative 4

The main function of the Heritage Office was to tick the box in terms of recording the 'Hertiage" element of the railways in the planning and execution of the big projects and route modernisation schemes of the late 90s early 2000s. The Government was prepared to spend public money on the Passenger railway in terms of increasing route and train capacity, replacing worn out rolling stock and infrastructure.

Its interesting that people on this thread are getting more worked up about the removal of a standard GSWR signal box than a major investment in a new Waterford Station and Transport Hub https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/projects/public-consultations/sdz-transport-hub/Part VIII Report Main-Document.pdf.

It would be stretching it a bit to justify '"preserving" Abbey Junction Signal Box within a context of an operational railway"  with the City, County Council and IE showing joined up thinking about private and public transportation with a new two platform station on the site and an overbridge replacing the existing level crossing and filling station. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wexford70 said:

Mayner, I was simply noting changes on the line.

Actually there is an effort to preserve what is left of the mechanism by the WSVR. 

IMG_20230605_161447.jpg

I was critical of the posters whinging about "The Heritage Office/IE" and not looking at the bigger picture, not your reporting that cabin is being removed in connection with planned development of the new station.

The cabin is a small timber framed structure and fairly easy to move/re-locate without damage.

I am not sure if the lever frame is intact, when I last visited the cabin about 20 years ago it was being used simply as a crossing cabin to control the Level Crossing, possibly 2 levers controlling the distant signals protecting the crossing

Block Instruments and signal interlocking controlling the Junction with the New Ross Line and Frank Cassin Wharf had been removed

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2023 at 10:32 AM, Mayner said:

I was critical of the posters whinging about "The Heritage Office/IE" and not looking at the bigger picture, not your reporting that cabin is being removed in connection with planned development of the new station.

The cabin is a small timber framed structure and fairly easy to move/re-locate without damage.

I am not sure if the lever frame is intact, when I last visited the cabin about 20 years ago it was being used simply as a crossing cabin to control the Level Crossing, possibly 2 levers controlling the distant signals protecting the crossing

Block Instruments and signal interlocking controlling the Junction with the New Ross Line and Frank Cassin Wharf had been removed

Believe 4 levers left and some of the mechanism below. Inspecting of the timbres is due to be undertaken this week. Unsure how much is worth saving. Windows are basic aluminium frames. Wooden sills and panelling fairly rotten.