Backwoods miniatures TT gauge county donegal joint railways Committee loco

Rate this topic

On 6/6/2023 at 9:50 PM, Horsetan said:

The underside photo suggests it's been fitted with the "Porter's Cap" gearbox which was supplied as part of the kit and which is broadly similar to today's "High Level" gearbox kits. (I did wonder if "Porter's Cap" and "High Level" were related to each other.....)

Yes, they are, Porter's Cap gearboxes first appeared in Backwoods kits to start with, but the guy who designed them, then went on to develop the High-Level gearbox kits if you lose anything from a Porter's Cap gearbox, you can ask him at high level if he can help you locate any spares.

Neville Kent is in the process of updating all the backwoods oon3 kits since many parts of the old kit are no longer available you can contact him at:-

Email: ndriveproductions@yahoo.com
Phone: +44(0)7778 640336

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Colin R said:

...Neville Kent is in the process of updating all the backwoods oon3 kits since many parts of the old kit are no longer available ....

Yes, I'm aware. I had brief contact with Neville last year. It's a glacially-slow process because the business isn't his day job.

It's even slower with the Backwoods OO9 loco kits, as there's no visible progress. I did ask if I could buy a copy of the instructions for the Ffestiniog Double Fairlie (I have the kit already), but Neville wasn't willing to do even that, so I'm stuck.

I reckon we'll be lucky if any more Backwoods kits of any description  return within the next five to ten years, but I don't think we should expect too much.

1 hour ago, Horsetan said:

I did ask if I could buy a copy of the instructions for the Ffestiniog Double Fairlie (I have the kit already), but Neville wasn't willing to do even that, so I'm stuck.

Not any longer.

Backwoods-009-Double-Fairlie-Intructions.pdf (ngtrains.com)

Paul Martin (EDM Models is hosting an archive of all Backwoods Miniatures Instructions that are sent in (Only a few missing from the entire range.)

Edited by commerlad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Colin R said:

Of course, now there is no excuse for not getting on with the kit 😀

I still wonder just how many of these kits are in people's stashes with no hope of being built.

Probably just waiting to be assessed for Inheritance Tax purposes 

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Colin R said:

If it comes to it just dig a big hole and bury them in a time capsule they may be worth more to your great-grandkids, in that form rather than being made up 😀

I'll certainly be taking the better kits with me to the grave - there'll be plenty of time to build 'em down there in Hell, and the heat will mean no soldering iron will be needed.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Killian Keane said:

I dont suppose you have the instructions for that? I have one to build too but unfortunately no instructions

I have the Crane Tank in my instructions database. If you have an e-mail, I could probably send a PDF.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2024 at 10:54 PM, Horsetan said:

I have the Crane Tank in my instructions database. If you have an e-mail, I could probably send a PDF.

And to further complete the archive would you send a copy to 

paul <at> ngtrains <dot> com

For anyone else the archive of all sent in so far (which includes a near full set of the 00n3 instructions, just needs the Turntable and Vans) is

Backwoods Miniatures – Instruction Archive – NG Trains

FOOTNOTE – its become apparent that some scans are too large for e-mail. In that case use something like WE Transfer to send them

Edited by commerlad

2 hours ago, commerlad said:

And to further complete the archive would you send a copy to 

paul <at> ngtrains <dot> com

For anyone else the archive of all sent in so far (which includes a near full set of the 00n3 instructions, just needs the Turntable and Vans) is

Backwoods Miniatures – Instruction Archive – NG Trains

Given that the archive is for narrow gauge kits, would the Doxford Crane be relevant, being standard gauge?

26 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

Given that the archive is for narrow gauge kits, would the Doxford Crane be relevant, being standard gauge?

As someone who has spent much of his life studying  in archives, the more copies of a rare document in circulation, the better. Especially when the fragility of websites and electronic media is borne in mind. There’s probably a case for lodging physical copies of instructions with the HMRS! 

Edited by Galteemore

On 14/9/2024 at 9:23 AM, Horsetan said:

Maybe you could use the kit to make one of the pair the Rio Tinto had in Spain? 3'6" gauge.

Riotinto_150.jpg

Scan10010.JPG

085--.+Locomotrora+grua+en+Talleres+Mina

In fairness, at the time I recall it was advertised as being possible to build it to 009 with outside frames.

Edited by Brack
  • Like 2

On 15/9/2024 at 2:35 PM, Brack said:

Maybe you could use the kit to make one of the pair the Rio Tinto had in Spain? 3'6" gauge.

Riotinto_150.jpg

Scan10010.JPG

085--.+Locomotrora+grua+en+Talleres+Mina

In fairness, at the time I recall it was advertised as being possible to build it to 009 with outside frames.

Given that the kit is reputed to be 1:87, it would be more HOn3½ than OO9, on 12mm gauge track.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2024 at 10:13 PM, gwilliams3 said:

Must get this finished...nearly there but looking for a ready to run 0-6-0 chassis to use.

Nearest I've found is the Hornby Pecket B2 but even that doesn't quite fit

I was going to put the 3D model on Shapeways for printing but they went bust in July

Screenshot 2024-09-11 215643.png

Pity about shapeways alright. Maybe post a YouTube video about it linking the 3d files in the video description? Certainly a way to keep it easy to access and get it to more people. 

2 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

Pity about shapeways alright. Maybe post a YouTube video about it linking the 3d files in the video description? Certainly a way to keep it easy to access and get it to more people. 

It looks like Shapeways Eindhoven has resumed production as Manuevo https://manuevo.com/. The business appears to operate as a print bureau (customer/designer orders prints from their own designs) rather than a market place where designers put up 3D files and wait for customers to order prints.

I have used similar businesses locally (New Zealand) and Asia for 3D printing, usually there is a minimum order value whether regardless of whether you use an overseas or a local bureau. 

Most 3D print companies charge a 'set up" cost per per print for "Slicing' converting the 3D printing file into a format usable by the printer. 

Edited by Mayner
  • Informative 1