450 Class running day at Downpatrick Sunday August 13th

Rate this topic

Niles

Another few decades from now, while hanging onto his Zimmerframe, @Niles posts:

Turn the volume up for a taste!

If anyone is looking for a heritage railcar fix, the preserved 22000 will be operating regular services at Downpatrick on Sunday August 13th.

This set is painted in the popular "Tippex" livery that it wore towards the end of it's life, in itself paying tribute to the long forgotten 071 Class locos, while the rest of the 22000 sets wore all-over advertising, after IE remembered that they have the largest mobile advertising capacity in the country.

😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

10 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Another few decades from now, while hanging onto his Zimmerframe, @Niles posts:

Turn the volume up for a taste!

If anyone is looking for a heritage railcar fix, the preserved 22000 will be operating regular services at Downpatrick on Sunday August 13th.

This set is painted in the popular "Tippex" livery that it wore towards the end of it's life, in itself paying tribute to the long forgotten 071 Class locos, while the rest of the 22000 sets wore all-over advertising, after IE remembered that they have the largest mobile advertising capacity in the country.

😁

I remember back in the 2000s online forums (who remembers the MSN groups?) people joked about the idea of a 450 being preserved one day, yet, here we are (and it's really come into its own too).

I know @jhb171achill loves 450s...😁

Similarly 2600s were once seen as "just railcars" but our jaunt from Cork to Waterford in one proved more popular than even its organiser (eejit I hear) envisaged. Everything has its time...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

31 minutes ago, Niles said:

I remember back in the 2000s online forums (who remembers the MSN groups?) people joked about the idea of a 450 being preserved one day, yet, here we are (and it's really come into its own too).

I know @jhb171achill loves 450s...😁

Similarly 2600s were once seen as "just railcars" but our jaunt from Cork to Waterford in one proved more popular than even its organiser (eejit I hear) envisaged. Everything has its time...

Apparently enthusiasts spat on the Metrovick diesels when they first appeared in service at Westland Row station during the 1950s.

The Mitsui 2600 railcars are continuing to out-live their AEC predecessors that barely lasted 20 years in service mainly because British Leyland ceased to supply engine/gearbox parts.

Although they were uncomfortable the BREL MK3 Multiple Units including the NIR 450 Class had a certain Buck-Ugly charm.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 3

I’m aware of one committed “timer” who wouldn’t let his companions time diesels in the 1950s - only steam - such was the contempt in which he held ALL diesel railway vehicles….

As recently as the 1980s, most enthusiasts believed that despite IRRS days out, actual diesel preservation would never catch on.

Now there’s more diesel than steam action at Downpatrick…..

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Drew Donaldson commented about one GNR(I) (operating) modeller who built BCDR locos and hauled stock to work trains that were worked by diesel railcars on the prototype "because no one wanted to see diesel trains"

The knowledgeable observer knew that trains operated by a BCDR loco represented a diesel railcar set on the prototype.

Interestingly families visiting a UK narrow gauge heritage railway on which I volunteered sometimes could not recognise the difference between a steam and a diesel loco, they had a cab at one end and a chimney/exhaust pipe at the other.

Naught so funny as folk as they say!

• Like 3

David Weston, one of Britain’s premier railway artists back in the day, was finishing off a portrait of an A4 when a lady visited his studio. ‘Oh, I see you’re painting diesels now’, she said! I’ve a fair idea who that GN modeller was, having met him. An extremely gentle and gracious man, he nonetheless had strong convictions! He was a leader in his local church and always arranged GN motive power to haul their Sunday School excursion to Portrush…..

• Like 1