Worst Tramway Accident compilation

Rate this topic

Flying Scotsman 4472

Nasty one in Prague.

[video=youtube;RPH-rNUmBjw]

When the 16-ton tram came at them, those waiting at the Karlovo namesti tram stop couldn't flee- a barrier separating the platform from the street blocked their way.

A 59-year-old man was crushed to death and three people were critically injured in the March 16 accident, while a 64-year-old woman standing nearby was killed when the tram flung her into the path of a car. City transit officials, however, point out that such accidents are rare and call Prague's 20-year-old fleet of trams safe.

The crash, the worst tram accident in Prague this year, brought the death toll involving trams to four in three months.

At first officials said track failure or a breakdown with the tram itself could have been to blame. But then witnesses said the driver had taken the 90-degree turn that leads into Karlovo namesti - heading westbound from the Stepanska stop - at an unusually high speed. The speed limit there is 15 kilometers (nine miles) per hour. Police later said the tram was going 32 kilomers per hour. The front car of tram 22 stayed on track, but the back car lurched off.

An eyewitness told Mlada fronta Dnes that the driver "was going like a crazy man."

The driver, only identified as Jiri P., had 13 years of experience without incident, said Michaela Kucharova, spokesperson at the city's Traffic Authority, and had passed his yearly "health, psychological and procedural" exams. He suffered a nervous breakdown after the accident, said Kucharova, and his license has been suspended pending investigation.

http://www.praguepost.com/archivescontent/40781-trams-called-safe-despite-accidents-deaths.html

About 15yrs ago a group of us went Wolztien in Poland for the steam experience, for a bit of a change we went to Poznan and hired the training tram complete with instructor they are an odd thing to drive, power and braking on the one control. I am not surprized at the accidents as the Poles just drove like madmen. The tram drivers needed eyes up their ---es. still didnt stop the trams going like bats out of hell on the roughest rack I had ever seen! Good fun though! Also hired a complete narrow gauge railway for the day complete with crew who brought the sosages.The line did not run on Saturdays so that was our chance! I think it cost about £50, bet it costs more than that today maybe I should post some photos if anyones interested?

About 15yrs ago a group of us went Wolztien in Poland for the steam experience, for a bit of a change we went to Poznan and hired the training tram complete with instructor they are an odd thing to drive, power and braking on the one control. I am not surprized at the accidents as the Poles just drove like madmen. The tram drivers needed eyes up their ---es. still didnt stop the trams going like bats out of hell on the roughest rack I had ever seen! Good fun though! Also hired a complete narrow gauge railway for the day complete with crew who brought the sosages.The line did not run on Saturdays so that was our chance! I think it cost about £50, bet it costs more than that today maybe I should post some photos if anyones interested?

Yes please Mike. Post plenty of pics please!!