Sheehaun Light Railway

Rate this topic

LNERW1

Sheehaun is a small island off the west coast of Ireland. It has always been sparsely populated, with its largest town, Sheehaunmore, only boasting about 750 residents in 1857. It wasn’t the kind of place you would expect a railway being built.

But Arthur Tilselby, an Englishman who had made his fortune building railways in the North of England, was not one to bow to anyone’s expectations. In 1860, he bought all the land on the island, and began the process of turning it into a rich industrialist’s paradise. He decided to take advantage of the fact that there were more sheep than people on Sheehaun, and set about establishing it as a centre of woolen clothing production.

A large industrial area was set up on the outskirts of Sheehaun, and a three-foot-gauge railway around the island to transport the wool into the industrial area. It began construction on 1861, and initially ran into issues with lack of labour, but workers were brought on to aid the construction, with the promise of jobs in the factories once construction was finished, which it finally was in 1867.

Having fought their way through Sheehaun’s unforgiving limestone landscape, they settled down to work in the factories. These were a small but profitable industry, keeping the island and the railway going until 1953.

During the Emergency, Sheehaun’s factories stayed going, as the demand for woolly jumpers and the likes increased during times of gas and coal rationing. After the war in Europe ended, however, Sheehaun’s industry began to lose more and more money. By 1950, it had gotten bad enough that the current landowner, George Tilselby III, began to alter sales quotas, income figures and expenditure quantities- in short, trying to decrease the amount of taxes he would need to pay. He was found out in 1952, and after he was convicted and fined, there was little money left for the factories.

In 1953, the Sheehaun Wool Company went bankrupt, and the Sheehaun Light Railway, which had served the island for over 80 years, closed in 1956. It had never been taken over by CIÉ, it was not particularly focused on passengers, but still provided a lifeline for those living near the line. It’s main line serving the island’s farms closed first, in 1955, leaving only the mile or so running from the former factory site, now being demolished, to Sheehaun Harbour, or the Sheehaun Tramway. This lived on only for a few months, closing on the 3rd of January, 1956. The last train, the 18:07 from Sheehaun Harbour to Sheehaunmore Town, stopping at the Tilselby Botanical Gardens, an amenity for the local residents built by Arthur Tilselby, the man who built the island’s industry. This last train was captured emerging from the Harbour Tunnel, passing under the former main line, by local photographer Seán O’Sullivan. His haunting photograph is shown below.

IMG_0946.thumb.jpeg.6a0bab5407b0186104aa39a76d125a13.jpeg

And so, Sheehaun was left to be, its inhabitants making do with the potholed roads that criss-crossed the small island, as it slowly reverted to agriculture, with some extra income provided by a hotel and golf course near the harbour. However, its inhabitants had never been satisfied with its mediocre road network, and in 2009, they finally decided they would do something about it. They set up a company, the Sheehaunmore Light Railway Ltd, and set about purchasing track and stock to rebuild the island’s U-shaped railway system. They received planning permission, and with the cooperation of the Tilselby family, who still owned most of the island, they began construction of their new railway, starting by connecting to the Sheehaun Tramway, whose rails had remained in place since closure in 1956, and continued construction, completing the project in 2019. It now operates as the primary means of transportation around the island, and is run by a mix of volunteers and paid staff.

The above is, of course, entirely fictitious. It is, in fact, the story I dreamed up to explain the existence of my garden railway. As it stands, construction has not yet begun, but I do have over 40m of track and a large fleet of rolling stock, ready for construction to begin, which it will in spring 2024. This is where I will share updates on the progress of the layout, as that seems to be the sort of thing you people like. I hope you enjoy reading through my mindless rants about the irregularities in the geometry of LGB track.

Edited by LNERW1
Spelling mistakes- I keep saying I need to proofread, but god forbid I’d take my own advice…
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 1

9 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Looking forward to reading your updates in Spring!

There are a lot of one-hitter-quitters who appear, make grand promises, then disappear, so hopefully the SLR doesn't fall down that same chute.

Do G Scale and Gauge 1 share the same track?

Don’t worry, this is a project that I’m relying on to keep me going through first year, so it’s not something I’m likely to give up. In fact, planning is already well underway, and I have already begun to plan out Botanical Gardens station, where the double- track main line diverges into the Sheehaun Tramway, and the “back line” around Sheehaunmore, for freight and express passenger services (I’m planning on running slow passenger services along the tramway, just to make things more interesting) and the tramway. Just to clarify, the line down to Sheehaun Harbour, along with the harbour itself, is not going to be modelled. I’m using the “get out” clause of claiming that the hotel was built above the 250ft tunnel, and that the foundations required it to be partially demolished. I might end up modelling the harbour in a smaller scale eventually, but on the model the harbour line will branch of the tramway, running through Sheehaunmore town, and disappear into a blocked-off tunnel under the “back line”. The spur remaining will probably end up being used for stock storage.

Also yes, gauge 1 and G scale share the same 45mm track gauge.

On 18/12/2023 at 9:07 PM, jhb171achill said:

So, this island actually had Ireland's first ever narrow gauge line...

Good point, hadn’t thought of that… just adds to the story, I guess.

PROGRESS UPDATE:

The railway is still in the planning stages.

Just to clarify, progress updates won’t be a daily thing, this is just because a lot happened today. 

Firstly, some “prototype research” was  undertaken today. Me and my dad walked along the Bord na Móna line south of Portlaoise, from where it crosses under the N77 to the point, slightly west of the packing/processing/whatever-it-is plant, where it crosses a small lane. All of the track, apart from the temporary stretches running straight out on to the bog, is still there, and upon reaching the plant, we discovered that three Hunslet 0-4-0s were still there too. Given that there was no sign of any of the distinctive boxy wagons, I presume they were sold off for scrap. This does leave the question of why the locos remained. My guess is that Bord na Móna may be trying to sell them as locomotives, rather than as hunks of metal, ie trying to sell them for preservation. Unfortunately, I was too caught up in the fact that I had walked along an abandoned railway, and found three locomotives, to take any photos, but my dad did. I’ll post them tomorrow.

On the model side of things, myself and my brother assembled a “test track” on our patio. This runs under the picnic bench, through the brick-built “tunnel” I used to take the photo of the “last train”, and onto a short embankment and makeshift bridge to carry it over the entrance to the “quarry” my brother built. It consists of one main loop, as well as two run round/passing loops and two sidings. It’s made up of track that is totally covered in grime and unusable with track power. However, I plan to work my way around the loop, cleaning the track by Christmas (and yes, I’m aware that’s in 6 days- I’ll have a lot of free time on my hands from Friday on). That’s all for now, so I’ll leave you with these photos of the “test track”.

IMG_0970.thumb.jpeg.b1d8583b9e8c84e2c1c08abbf35412c7.jpeg

The line from the tunnel to under the table

IMG_0969.thumb.jpeg.62c8979c4944307e60e4e4db79a9b8c5.jpeg

The tunnel

IMG_0968.thumb.jpeg.eccf73b9e62c7e9eed0fa509f87d18f0.jpeg

The embankment round the end- you can see the “bridge”, where the track crosses over a gap in the brickwork, in the top right hand corner.

IMG_0967.thumb.jpeg.04f2225836b81bb72036825ab345d780.jpeg

One of the loops, and one of the sidings.

IMG_0966.thumb.jpeg.75681345c6620a5bbf6ec2c9ca13e85c.jpeg

The approach point work to the loop and siding shown above. The second siding can be seen diverging to the left.

IMG_0964.thumb.jpeg.316e02f2bb1bce8724fc6fac2ba6c422.jpeg

The other loop, situated below the bench.

PS I forgot to mention- my little brother built one siding, and ballasted the other- he’s not even in 1st class yet!

Edited by LNERW1
I wrote this up on mobile, not realising that the format meant that if I hadn’t properly separated photos and captions, the errors wouldn’t show up.
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Metrovik said:

My my, that's quite the detailed backstory, very nice to see. As a fellow laois man it's good to see another young modeller in the county. Lookin forward to seeing some of your models running in the future.

Thanks, I’m quite proud of the backstory. Interesting to see yet another modeller from Laois- are you a volunteer at Stradbally? Also, I’m planning on making a “what if” model of Abbeyleix station(My “local” station) in the 70s at some point in the next few years- maybe in N.

Were you aware of the bog railway?

Aware of the bog railways of the county, I was although I never got to see them in action or not in action as you've seen. I pass by your local station "Abbeyliex" 3 times a week and was thinking of making a model of it myself (only mine would be the station in its prime). Unfortunately I'm not a volunteer at stradbally at the minute but I am open to the option in the future. 

Its worth while looking at the option of battery rather than track power for a garden railway. Some very good/reliable cheap Chinese "Wild West" battery sets with radio control https://www.ebay.com/itm/374239915861?hash=item57226fef55:g:yzQAAOSwg01jE9Qr&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8Dih0xr0hI9tHsF2r2f7LKUVYw7RliQXv8sNykgCHW826cv6zOt1YzufhQvwXk8aAcvmypFKHNzzCn7hYzdaB4fXSsiOjiiXgUU%2FStASKPWPdZgm%2B9ceE%2Bkq5dwXgUnO9J9nlsdxzia2lXzu5dVWJaZ1roJfqo9DoYZg67wa0k%2BhBDcyIJbTMXOYxUJwcOLfKdy5OnR%2Fz5BDpC%2FxVcp9zwQEtSqH3w0wDeewOI0jwdBtH6pvXUBpFQLCiEmyXCyvRQ4cmwYmaz4KoDj%2FH9OUnKmxqxA1YiFnISup5TvuUkeORGg7A4qhfT%2BL5PrPNmurDQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5z2otGQYw

The Wild West Set once available through the NZ equivalent of Walmart or Tesco Superstore was popular with garden railway modellers, who sometimes kitbashed the locos and stock into models of British outline narrow gauge. I bough a set for my daughter when she was 2 and the engine was still going strong when we donated it to a charity shop when she was 13.

I use battery remote control on my garden railway using a system similar to RC Trains https://www.rctrains.co.uk/Receivers.htm , Crest Revolution is a more widely available battery RC system https://www.revoelectronics.com/. Most of my locos are American 3' narrow gauge proprietary models mainly of brass construction with a couple of kitbashed Bachmann locos.

IMG_5301.jpg.fc4acbf8dcafc6099fe30fb7f5d61c44.jpg

The Accuracraft DRGWR K27 2-8-2 463 is basically the pride of the line  and very heavy with batteries and electronics in the tender

I have one Irish 3' gauge loco a model of Schull and Skibbereen 'Erin' with a scratchbuilt plasticard body on an early Playcraft (LGB) 0-4-0 chassis. The model is likely to be 20+ years old bought second hand from its builder in the UK, with no sign or warping or deterioration to the plasticard body. 

I started to convert the loco to battery RC with a LiPol battery in the boiler, but had second thoughts with the fire risk early liPols

IMG_5531.jpg.413db03e41839c84e8e78945548edccc.jpg

IMG_5537.jpg.63eabf4f9149165ef5e343e37a5e61db.jpg

IMG_5538.jpg.19dffe51ff5fce480c733702a29108ba.jpg

Chassis block is Playmobile (made by LGB) bogie fabricated from plasticard.

I need to fabricate a replacement cow catcher after the original was damaged.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mayner said:

Its worth while looking at the option of battery rather than track power for a garden railway. Some very good/reliable cheap Chinese "Wild West" battery sets with radio control https://www.ebay.com/itm/374239915861?hash=item57226fef55:g:yzQAAOSwg01jE9Qr&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8Dih0xr0hI9tHsF2r2f7LKUVYw7RliQXv8sNykgCHW826cv6zOt1YzufhQvwXk8aAcvmypFKHNzzCn7hYzdaB4fXSsiOjiiXgUU%2FStASKPWPdZgm%2B9ceE%2Bkq5dwXgUnO9J9nlsdxzia2lXzu5dVWJaZ1roJfqo9DoYZg67wa0k%2BhBDcyIJbTMXOYxUJwcOLfKdy5OnR%2Fz5BDpC%2FxVcp9zwQEtSqH3w0wDeewOI0jwdBtH6pvXUBpFQLCiEmyXCyvRQ4cmwYmaz4KoDj%2FH9OUnKmxqxA1YiFnISup5TvuUkeORGg7A4qhfT%2BL5PrPNmurDQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5z2otGQYw

The Wild West Set once available through the NZ equivalent of Walmart or Tesco Superstore was popular with garden railway modellers, who sometimes kitbashed the locos and stock into models of British outline narrow gauge. I bough a set for my daughter when she was 2 and the engine was still going strong when we donated it to a charity shop when she was 13.

I use battery remote control on my garden railway using a system similar to RC Trains https://www.rctrains.co.uk/Receivers.htm , Crest Revolution is a more widely available battery RC system https://www.revoelectronics.com/. Most of my locos are American 3' narrow gauge proprietary models mainly of brass construction with a couple of kitbashed Bachmann locos.

IMG_5301.jpg.fc4acbf8dcafc6099fe30fb7f5d61c44.jpg

The Accuracraft DRGWR K27 2-8-2 463 is basically the pride of the line  and very heavy with batteries and electronics in the tender

I have one Irish 3' gauge loco a model of Schull and Skibbereen 'Erin' with a scratchbuilt plasticard body on an early Playcraft (LGB) 0-4-0 chassis. The model is likely to be 20+ years old bought second hand from its builder in the UK, with no sign or warping or deterioration to the plasticard body. 

I started to convert the loco to battery RC with a LiPol battery in the boiler, but had second thoughts with the fire risk early liPols

IMG_5531.jpg.413db03e41839c84e8e78945548edccc.jpg

IMG_5537.jpg.63eabf4f9149165ef5e343e37a5e61db.jpg

IMG_5538.jpg.19dffe51ff5fce480c733702a29108ba.jpg

Chassis block is Playmobile (made by LGB) bogie fabricated from plasticard.

I need to fabricate a replacement cow catcher after the original was damaged.

Yeah, battery power is definitely on the cards. Track power is difficult when using brand new track, but the stuff I’m using is nearly 30 years old, and aside from being filthy, some pieces are damaged and individual rails are pushed out of place, shorter than they need to be, etc. In fact, I think my great-uncle, who I inherited the stock, track, etc. from, may have used radio control- I’ve found Radio Shack equipment attached to the locos and buried in all the spare parts.

I’ve also been quite convinced by the YouTuber Ge Rik, who runs RC Trains (the business, not just RC trains in general) and has a garden railway that is entirely RC- and sound-equipped.

9 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Great story lad 👏

Are you saying I made it up?

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while- long story short, the loop on the patio still isn’t clean, I have to re-ballast it and I haven’t worked out how to provide power (power track that’s connected to the controller is wonky), and I’ve decided to buy an LGB 50040 track rubber, which I haven’t even ordered yet and will probably be shipped from Germany. I’m not too fussed about any of this though, to be honest. 

I look forward to 2024, and wish you all good health in the new year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/12/2023 at 8:27 PM, LNERW1 said:

Good point, hadn’t thought of that… just adds to the story, I guess.

PROGRESS UPDATE:

The railway is still in the planning stages.

Just to clarify, progress updates won’t be a daily thing, this is just because a lot happened today. 

Firstly, some “prototype research” was  undertaken today. Me and my dad walked along the Bord na Móna line south of Portlaoise, from where it crosses under the N77 to the point, slightly west of the packing/processing/whatever-it-is plant, where it crosses a small lane. All of the track, apart from the temporary stretches running straight out on to the bog, is still there, and upon reaching the plant, we discovered that three Hunslet 0-4-0s were still there too. Given that there was no sign of any of the distinctive boxy wagons, I presume they were sold off for scrap. This does leave the question of why the locos remained. My guess is that Bord na Móna may be trying to sell them as locomotives, rather than as hunks of metal, ie trying to sell them for preservation. Unfortunately, I was too caught up in the fact that I had walked along an abandoned railway, and found three locomotives, to take any photos, but my dad did. I’ll post them tomorrow.

On the model side of things, myself and my brother assembled a “test track” on our patio. This runs under the picnic bench, through the brick-built “tunnel” I used to take the photo of the “last train”, and onto a short embankment and makeshift bridge to carry it over the entrance to the “quarry” my brother built. It consists of one main loop, as well as two run round/passing loops and two sidings. It’s made up of track that is totally covered in grime and unusable with track power. However, I plan to work my way around the loop, cleaning the track by Christmas (and yes, I’m aware that’s in 6 days- I’ll have a lot of free time on my hands from Friday on). That’s all for now, so I’ll leave you with these photos of the “test track”.

IMG_0970.thumb.jpeg.b1d8583b9e8c84e2c1c08abbf35412c7.jpeg

The line from the tunnel to under the table

IMG_0969.thumb.jpeg.62c8979c4944307e60e4e4db79a9b8c5.jpeg

The tunnel

IMG_0968.thumb.jpeg.eccf73b9e62c7e9eed0fa509f87d18f0.jpeg

The embankment round the end- you can see the “bridge”, where the track crosses over a gap in the brickwork, in the top right hand corner.

IMG_0967.thumb.jpeg.04f2225836b81bb72036825ab345d780.jpeg

One of the loops, and one of the sidings.

IMG_0966.thumb.jpeg.75681345c6620a5bbf6ec2c9ca13e85c.jpeg

The approach point work to the loop and siding shown above. The second siding can be seen diverging to the left.

IMG_0964.thumb.jpeg.316e02f2bb1bce8724fc6fac2ba6c422.jpeg

The other loop, situated below the bench.

PS I forgot to mention- my little brother built one siding, and ballasted the other- he’s not even in 1st class yet!

How's the engineering work going?

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/1/2024 at 8:07 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

How's the engineering work going?

Progressing slowly- track was cleaned to the point where trains could be run, but unfortunately my phone was not syncing to iCloud or something- no photos or videos i took in that week or so were saved, including all the footage of the running session, and while trying to rectify the issue with my phone, the recent bad weather dirtied the track to the point where very little could run on it. I now have to go through the painful track cleaning process again, but the railway should be in good enough running condition in about a week's time, if i get enough work in next weekend (i cant do anything on weeknights, as i get home either at about 5 normally, and 7 when i have rugby training).

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, LNERW1 said:

Progressing slowly- track was cleaned to the point where trains could be run, but unfortunately my phone was not syncing to iCloud or something- no photos or videos i took in that week or so were saved, including all the footage of the running session, and while trying to rectify the issue with my phone, the recent bad weather dirtied the track to the point where very little could run on it. I now have to go through the painful track cleaning process again, but the railway should be in good enough running condition in about a week's time, if i get enough work in next weekend (i cant do anything on weeknights, as i get home either at about 5 normally, and 7 when i have rugby training).

iCloud?

I thought that iPhones etc were just for old people and luddites?

Is it videos that are stored online-only, and images are stored both locally and online, or how does that work?

How did you provide power to the track in the end?

Sent from my iPhone.

On 28/1/2024 at 3:41 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

iCloud?

I thought that iPhones etc were just for old people and luddites?

Is it videos that are stored online-only, and images are stored both locally and online, or how does that work?

How did you provide power to the track in the end?

Sent from my iPhone.

Yes, I do have an iPhone, rest assured us “young ones” use them too. The concept of iCloud, as I understand it, is photos and videos being saved online as well as on your phone, so that if your phone gets lost or damaged, you can still access your photo library on a new device.

Ended up using crocodile clips, attached to the lower part of the rail, similar to the chairs, to power the set-up. I’ve found a straight power track now, though, and that should work.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to clean absolutely filthy railheads quickly? There’s about 15m of track in the circuit, and that means 30m, or about 100ft, of rail to clean. I can’t do all that manually, so feel free to provide suggestions. Please.

below is a clip of a catastrophic rail accident.

Just had an idea- I could leave the test track in situ, even when the main railway is completed, and say it’s the harbour. Any opinions? Could allow for a shallow pool of water, etc. to make everything more interesting. The patio, being made from concrete, does resemble a quay of some sort. I think that’d be interesting to see, anyone else?

• Like 1

Midterm break beckons- I think it’s time to clean the track again. Working on an indoor 00 project though, so I might not completely finish it over the break. Here’s the 00 project so far, by the way.image.thumb.jpg.a377d117b579c495218a4a7569424d44.jpg

A quick question, actually- inspired by Wexford O’Hanrahan, I wanted to make a quayside layout. I want to create a concrete or stone surface over the goods shed road and the adjacent siding using DAS clay, but I’m not sure whether to use cork underlay for the two sidings, as I’m worried it may mess up the clay, or mean the track is high enough that more clay is needed to match the height of the sleepers than I actually have.

So, should I cork the sidings or not?

• Like 2

On 5/2/2024 at 7:35 PM, Metrovik said:

I for one am not losing interest in this project, especially not one so close to home.

Metrovik, speaking of projects close to home, there’s a lad I used to live near who is a very talented modeller. If any of ye are on instagram (I know I’m not, I’ve had enough of Mark Zuckerberg just with WhatsApp), his account is called “Fairways models” or some variant of that with missing or excess punctuation.

• 4 weeks later...

The Sheehaun Railway Historical Society is delighted to announce the discovery of several colour photos, the only known to exist, of the pre-closure SLR. Below are the two clearest found.

IMG_1466.thumb.jpeg.41dd9d53c0e19fe40fd2ee610017e9c1.jpeg

Above is No. 3 shown at Sheehaun Quay.

IMG_1469.thumb.jpeg.52680d3289298c6b0f85c1ce744cfb13.jpeg

This photo was not captioned, but appears to show Number 3, one of the imported German saloons, and Railbus 1.

The SRHS has also been notified of rumours of 8mm film of the SLR taken by Seán O’Sullivan, known to most enthusiasts of the SLR for taking the haunting photograph of No. 3 on the last train of the pre-closure SLR. No comment will yet be given on the credibility of the rumour.

LNERW1, SLHS Chairman

• Like 5

On 11/3/2024 at 1:21 AM, LNERW1 said:

The Sheehaun Railway Historical Society is delighted to announce the discovery of several colour photos, the only known to exist, of the pre-closure SLR. Below are the two clearest found.

IMG_1466.thumb.jpeg.41dd9d53c0e19fe40fd2ee610017e9c1.jpeg

Above is No. 3 shown at Sheehaun Quay.

IMG_1469.thumb.jpeg.52680d3289298c6b0f85c1ce744cfb13.jpeg

This photo was not captioned, but appears to show Number 3, one of the imported German saloons, and Railbus 1.

The SRHS has also been notified of rumours of 8mm film of the SLR taken by Seán O’Sullivan, known to most enthusiasts of the SLR for taking the haunting photograph of No. 3 on the last train of the pre-closure SLR. No comment will yet be given on the credibility of the rumour.

LNERW1, SLHS Chairman

The LGB Tram and 4w coaches are good sturdy models capable of running forever and not unlike early Schull and Skibereen stock. 

Deltang https://www.deltang.co.uk/ are a good UK source of battery radio control equipment. Unlike DCC large scale battery radio control the majority of suppliers are 'cottage industry" businesses some of whom use Deltang components, the RCS (Australian) radio control system on my garden railway is based on Deltang components. Traditionally people placed the battery in a coach or wagon behind the Tram or Stainz loco, though I used a custom made battery of AA NiMh cells to power my LGB DRGW 0-4-0 diesel loco.

1 hour ago, Mayner said:

The LGB Tram and 4w coaches are good sturdy models capable of running forever and not unlike early Schull and Skibereen stock. 

Deltang https://www.deltang.co.uk/ are a good UK source of battery radio control equipment. Unlike DCC large scale battery radio control the majority of suppliers are 'cottage industry" businesses some of whom use Deltang components, the RCS (Australian) radio control system on my garden railway is based on Deltang components. Traditionally people placed the battery in a coach or wagon behind the Tram or Stainz loco, though I used a custom made battery of AA NiMh cells to power my LGB DRGW 0-4-0 diesel loco.

Unhappily, John, They've ceased trading - see your link!

On 15/3/2024 at 12:24 AM, leslie10646 said:

Unhappily, John, They've ceased trading - see your link!

IIRC the business was bought by the man who runs the "Peckforton Light Railway" YouTube channel, and rebranded as RC Trains. I'll see if i can find a link.

Here it is: RC Trains Homepage

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/3/2024 at 10:27 PM, Metrovik said:

How am I only seeing this masterpiece now!? You have a beautiful thing going on right there.

Thanks- might be more beautiful if I bothered me arse to clean the track... It's just a layout i set up on my patio in a sudden spurt of modelling enthusiasm. I haven't run anything on it under its own power yet, but I hope to clean the tracks so I can run something before I dismantle the layout to use the track for the main railway. It may be reassembled at a later date, though, but if anyone with G scale models living near me (see community map) is interested, I could have a running session with the layout if I get it clean. If you know anyone who might be interested and lives near enough, let them know. Thanks!

PS- I didn't address the fact that, quite honestly, it's probably the way I've photographed it that makes it look good.

• Like 1