ICR Maximum Length

Rate this topic

27 minutes ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

Just curious as to what the maximum possible lengths for ICR sets (combos and full units) and what the longest set to operate in service was… heard rumours of a 5+3…?? Surely not…

I could be wrong on this - maybe someone more knowledgable on modern image will comment - but I have certainly seen a 7-car at Heuston on several occasions, and I just THINK there might have been an 8 or 9 car one time some years ago on a Cork train?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Vaguely remember seeing a 5+3 a few years ago on the cork route (travelled on it). 8 coaches prob within platform gauges. On other single track routes length of passing loops the main limiting factor. As ever with specials with exceptional long trains there are procedures to protect the doors of coaches beyond platforms. It was not uncommon in the 60s and 70s to have 14 coach trains although they were shorter coaching stock than an ICR coach.

3+3 were the most common before they bought more intermediary units in recent years.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I could be wrong on this - maybe someone more knowledgable on modern image will comment - but I have certainly seen a 7-car at Heuston on several occasions, and I just THINK there might have been an 8 or 9 car one time some years ago on a Cork train?

Yeah I think I had seen a 7 car set before actually thinking about it now, and they’ve definitely brought the 6 cars back but 8 or 9? Wow that would be some sight to behold!! 

9 cars are the longest combination cleared for certain platforms but most of the time that combination is usually a transfer to/from Train Care to Heuston. 7 cars in the form of 4+3 is common occurance on the Galway line, there's a turn where one goes to Galway as a 7 piece to spilt into the 17:20 and 18:10 departures. Or at least that's what happened back when I was in college there ~10 years ago!

Edited by DoctorPan
  • Like 2

Maximum in normal service is nine cars - although there, are length limitations at certain stations (eg eight at Ballybrophy) and routes (four or possibly five on Rosslare IIRC). Apparently in emergencies they can operate as 18 - ie a nine car rescuing a nine car. Only seen eight and nine cars in special circumstances like reduced frequency onbCork line during engineering works, but seven is quite common. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MidlandDeltic2 said:

Maximum in normal service is nine cars - although there, are length limitations at certain stations (eg eight at Ballybrophy) and routes (four or possibly five on Rosslare IIRC). Apparently in emergencies they can operate as 18 - ie a nine car rescuing a nine car. Only seen eight and nine cars in special circumstances like reduced frequency onbCork line during engineering works, but seven is quite common. 

Is that 9 in one set rather than 4+5? That would be crazy to see, I can’t even imagine that, let alone a 9+9 car formation!

As stated above:

Max size is generally 7 ICR (4+3), but the 2100 Heuston - Cork is booked 8 ICR (5+3) currently on Saturdays (does not serve Ballybrophy). I personally have been on 9-car formations (3+3+3) but limited to where it can stop (0540 Portlaoise - Heuston back when it was limited stop sometimes threw one up as a way to get sets back in the right place).

10/11/12 ICR have operated in multiple versions between Heuston and Laois TCD (the only regular permitted route).

Fixed 7 ICR won't be permanent due to Laois TCD shed only being able to accommodate a 6 ICR length.

There's currently one 6 ICR (22040), more to follow as the 41 B2 cars start filtering into regular traffic

• Like 2
  • Informative 3

10/11/12 ICR formations are uncommon but sometimes the 2245 Heuston - Laois TCD Mon-Sat is that, it's entirely dependent on the maintenance requirements to get sets in the right place. Pre or post engineering work is more likely.

It happened on 10 November 2023, 22013+22059+22001

• Like 1