I felt a Turf Burner coming on, but ....

Rate this topic

BZ24InchicoreTBcopy.thumb.jpeg.b5caa0dc32c87074967ef1bb5554231a.jpeg

CC1 at Inchicore at the time of the Grand Tour in 1961                          Photo Lance King        Copyright Irish Railway Record Society

I got an e-mail about this:

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/sr-bulleid-the-leader-prototype-grey-early-crest-0-6-6-0-articulated-steam-locomotive-dcc-fitted

My 77 year old memory failed me when I thought that the chassis from this might have a secondary use on CC1, but alas:

The bogies look pretty different and

CC1 was 7 feet shorter than 36001 (the Leader Prototype).

Much easier to find a 60ft CoCo loco, unscrew the body and get to work with the Plastikard?

That said, I'm very tempted to have one for the "Glass Case".

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3

One of the MRSI Loughrea group built a presentable model of the Turfburner CCI about 20-25 odd years ago, plasticard body on an Athearn SD9 (Co-Co) Chassis.

In the days before MM brought out its 1st 201 there was quite a cottage industry in the club turning out quite presentable 201s and other IE diesels in plasticard and resin only one Turf Burner was built.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mayner said:

One of the MRSI Loughrea group built a presentable model of the Turfburner CCI about 20-25 odd years ago, plasticard body on an Athearn SD9 (Co-Co) Chassis.

In the days before MM brought out its 1st 201 there was quite a cottage industry in the club turning out quite presentable 201s and other IE diesels in plasticard and resin only one Turf Burner was built.

Is that the one Denis Bates did? I think it even made it on to Adavoyle. 

45 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Is that the one Denis Bates did? I think it even made it on to Adavoyle. 

It looks like we are thinking about two different  models of the "Turf Burner" built to two different track and wheel standards!

The Turf Burner that ran on the Loughrea layout was built by Brian Fennel, the trackwork on the Loughrea layout was laid to 21mm gauge to modified EM standards while Adavolyle was laid to P4 Standards.

• Funny 1