Deafening at Deepcut (Clan line celebrates fifty years in preservation)

Rate this topic

Ten o'clock this morning saw me risking my life on the single lane bridge over the railway at the summit of the long climb to Mile Post 31 on the London and South Western Railway mainline. Why, well, the Engine of Engines, "Merchant Navy"  Class 35028 was heading a VSOE Pullman to Bath. This is the last 20 seconds to the top - I filmed her for the previous minute as the line is straight here. You may wonder why I didn't show the whole train. I stopped videoing, hoping to get a "going away" shot, but when I turned round, the deep cutting was literally filled with steam from the hard-working loco!!!

Enjoy, it's worth 20 seconds!

• Like 8
  • WOW! 2

Not to be outdone, I returned to the lineside tonight in POURING RAIN - you can hear the rain beating on my hood!

Not every day a Bulleid Pacific passes within a mile of the house! Like @Galteemore, this is my "home line" - where I timed engine doing 97mph in 1967.

A very grey scene, but not lacking in atmosphere - she was four minutes early with over 400 tons behind the tender. At least it shows that SMOKE DEFLECTORS REALLY DO WORK!

• Like 5
  • WOW! 2

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Not to be outdone, I returned to the lineside tonight in POURING RAIN - you can hear the rain beating on my hood!

Not every day a Bulleid Pacific passes within a mile of the house! Like @Galteemore, this is my "home line" - where I timed engine doing 97mph in 1967.

A very grey scene, but not lacking in atmosphere - she was four minutes early with over 400 tons behind the tender. At least it shows that SMOKE DEFLECTORS REALLY DO WORK!

"Without wishing to be pedantic, a Britannia is merely an enlarged Atlantic.

For something really terrific, see a Bulleid Pacific!"

• Funny 3

Thanks for Sharing Leslie, Great catch and worth the memory! No durty diesel at the back too so she must be in fine fettle.

Some fab Videos on this run on you tube, It was flying along the tracks My wife Remarked is that going scale speed as the connecting rods were flying around!!

I mentioned it could do about 30mph more most likely!!

Just need a full blown Accurascale one now, with lighting in front and below the running plate. firebox flicker., Daycent 3 Cylinder sound and dare we say smoke!!

He is some more vids you mostly likely have seen!

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Thanks, George for the pointers to DECENT film of the train I tried to video on my "Stills" camera! Much better with a video thingy.

Yes, an Accurascale all bells and whistles (and lights) version would be hard to resist.

For younger viewers - the Bulleid Pacifics as built had lighting all round the motion and working parts so that the crew to see the motion at night when oiling round, or just checking that all was well. It was "all mod cons" in 1941.

The story goes that as a Southern crew came into Exeter St Davids at night off the LSWR line to the West (SR used the same tracks as GWR for a couple of miles), they made a point of SWITCHING ON ALL THE LIGHTS to make the GWR men jealous! The GWR guys had to go round with an oil lamp!

• Funny 2