Studio Scale Models locomotive

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

It's brass, I can't see any indication of whether it's SSM or not though.

Have a look at the instructions. There is a 1993 amendment that refers to ex TMD kits which include a note that the mouldings for the tender axleboxes and springs are included with the J15 kit.

The bag of castings looks similar to the castings supplied with a pair of J15s kits I bought from SSM in 2007-8.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mayner said:

Have a look at the instructions. There is a 1993 amendment that refers to ex TMD kits which include a note that the mouldings for the tender axleboxes and springs are included with the J15 kit.

The bag of castings looks similar to the castings supplied with a pair of J15s kits I bought from SSM in 2007-8.

This John?

IMG_20240518_131053.jpg

14 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

This John?

IMG_20240518_131053.jpg

Yep: It looks like its the SSM version of the J15 Kit

TMDTender.jpg.df915d3a89642584139aa2c418a83a15.jpg

SSM continued to used the original 1985 tooling for the etched parts, main difference between TMD & SSM versions seems to be the replacement of the original turned brass chimney and dome supplied with the original TMD version with a comprehensive set of whitemetal castings, the change in the frame spacers from square section brass to turned brass spacers and the etched parts produced in nickel silver at some stage during the past 30 years.

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, Mayner said:

Yep: It looks like its the SSM version of the J15 Kit

TMDTender.jpg.df915d3a89642584139aa2c418a83a15.jpg

SSM continued to used the original 1985 tooling for the etched parts, main difference between TMD & SSM versions seems to be the replacement of the original turned brass chimney and dome supplied with the original TMD version with a comprehensive set of whitemetal castings, the change in the frame spacers from square section brass to turned brass spacers and the etched parts produced in nickel silver at some stage during the past 30 years.

Thanks John, that's good to know. 👌

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to post this, but i emailed dezsullivan@gmail.com 10 days ago and have received no response, is he still active and have I the right address? looking to pick up a small order from him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Metrovik said:

Wasn't sure where to post this, but i emailed dezsullivan@gmail.com 10 days ago and have received no response, is he still active and have I the right address? looking to pick up a small order from him.

He will get back to u eventually

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Metrovik said:

He is still in action but not the quickest to reply so I presume he's busy at other stuff, join the queue lad 🤭

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Metrovik said:

He can take a while to reply, partly because the e-mail software he uses isn't exactly the best. That said, sometimes he happens to be online and replies within minutes.

I've had an e-mail from him in the last couple of weeks as he is ready to send me that J15 kit....which I now have to find "near enough" wheels for....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Metrovik said:

Strange, he still hasn't gotten back to me.....

I told him I would pay him once i received a confirmation email. Perhaps this is why I've received no reply?

Let me have your details if you think it might help. I had e-mails from Des yesterday confirming the J15 was in the post. I'm happy to send him an e-mail on your behalf. It is important not to lose sight of customers.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Forum at its best in such matters 

I think it's in all our interests to ensure SSM keeps going. Apart from Worsley Works, Des is pretty much the only established Irish etched kit producer/retailer that we have, with a range we can actually see.

If we lose him, that's basically curtains for Irish kitbuilders.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

I think it's in all our interests to ensure SSM keeps going. Apart from Worsley Works, Des is pretty much the only established Irish etched kit producer/retailer that we have, with a range we can actually see.

If we lose him, that's basically curtains for Irish kitbuilders.

Agreed - and he’s the only SLNC brass supplier. In 7mm, Roger at Alphagraphix occupies an analogous position. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

On 15/6/2024 at 10:58 PM, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Keep me posted lad 🤞

The wheels are a bit of a challenge, as the correct diameter just isn't available - nobody makes a 5'1" wheel, and even when Sharman was still in business he didn't have an appropriate pattern - and the nearest equivalent recommended by Des is a slightly larger diameter.

Most of the time, this isn't a problem unless the wheel centre makes the whole thing look bigger than it actually is. 

EDIT: the instructions mention on page 2 the source of MJT hornblocks as still being in Croydon. This is somewhat out of date, as the MJT range was taken over by Dart Castings years ago. Des knows about this, and is updating the instruction sheets accordingly.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1