John's Workbench projects

Rate this topic

irishmail

Thought I would  show  my  latest  project  here.  Thanks to @Gabhal Luimnigh, I have two old Lima 08/09  shunters.  One working  and  one non runner.   I have  always  been interested  in making one  of the  class 13  Tinsley  hump  shunters  and  this  provided  me  with  the opportunity for this  project.  There  are a few detail  errors  with  the  Lima  model,  but  I  did  not  want  to  start cuting  up a  Bachmann or  Hornby version.  

I also  have  a Lima  08 in Silverlink  livery  which   got  from  Hatton's last  year  as  a  non runner, (motor  mounting  bracket  was broken),  so  I took  the  bracket  from  the  blue  09  non  runner  and 08874  was  back in working  order.

Next  it  was  a  case  of  carefully cuting the  cab off one of  the  donor  bodies, then  using  bits  of plasticard trying  to  replicate  the  'calf' unit.  Extra  pick ups  have  been  added  and  both  main  unit  and calf  are connected  electrially. Additional  weight has been added.

Its  still a  work  in progress at  this stage, needing  numbers  and buffers.   

20240612_095708.jpg

20240612_095730.jpg

20240612_095741.jpg

20240616_115736.jpg

20240616_154050.jpg

Edited by irishmail
  • Like 7
  • WOW! 1

I have a 2019 ABC which says there were 179 still around, including 11 09s.

The Lima 08 is a useful model for 7mm narrow gauge, not least because of the outside cranks. The pancake motor can take a bit of disguising, but on the other hand the crank pins unscrew easily, enabling you to add con rods to outside cylinders. Runs well enough too, albeit not at the same level as the later Hornby ones.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, David Holman said:

I have a 2019 ABC which says there were 179 still around, including 11 09s.

The Lima 08 is a useful model for 7mm narrow gauge, not least because of the outside cranks. The pancake motor can take a bit of disguising, but on the other hand the crank pins unscrew easily, enabling you to add con rods to outside cylinders. Runs well enough too, albeit not at the same level as the later Hornby ones.

Wow - 179 still in actual railway service? Or including industrials and preservation?

On another front, with a generous 2ft rule, a coat of green or black paint and CIE logos will make a half-acceptable "D" class shunter out of one of those.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Wow - 179 still in actual railway service? Or including industrials and preservation?

On another front, with a generous 2ft rule, a coat of green or black paint and CIE logos will make a half-acceptable "D" class shunter out of one of those.....

Like this? 🫣

IMG_20230528_220216.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Like this? 🫣

IMG_20230528_220216.jpg

Good to see that close up, as I was thinking of doing that myself! Just wondering where the right style of numbers (e.g. D302) might be obtained from - larger for the sides and cab end, and smaller for the front end....?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Good to see that close up, as I was thinking of doing that myself! Just wondering where the right style of numbers (e.g. D302) might be obtained from - larger for the sides and cab end, and smaller for the front end....?

No idea Jonathan but I'm sure they can be obtained.

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Railtec bound to have something JB

• Like 3

Bit more  progress on the  class 13 project.  Glazing fitted  on cab  windows, (absent  on the  Lima  models), and now  applying  transfers.  I am  using modellers licence/ rule  1  for  the  numbering  as the  Lima  donors  would not be an exact match for  the origional  13001 -13003.

So a bit of  fictional back  story. After  the  sucess  of  the  three class 13's at  Tinsley,  BR  wanted  another 7 to  make  10 units  in total.  As  the yards  they  were  destined  for  were  not as steeply graded  as Tinsley,  some of the  origional  modifications  carried  out  on the Tinsley  three were not  required such as the  modified  buffer  beams. I have  gone  for 13007.

20240618_184611.jpg

20240618_184625.jpg

20240618_184640.jpg

• Like 3

On 16/6/2024 at 7:39 PM, Galteemore said:

Celsa Steel in Cardiff was a regular sighting for me of numerous GBRF 08s, as recently as within the last twelve months. Sadly about to be replaced by some kind of Unimog yoke.

Inverness still has one tootling about as well, pretty certain I saw at least two passing Longsight depot in Manchester a while back too.

• Like 1