Crowdstrike bluescreen issue 19th July

Rate this topic

Hi all,

What a fun start to today in the IT world! 

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0719/1460759-outage-tracker/

This would have affected machines that were on overnight - if your machine was off overnight, it wouldn't have taken the update that caused the issue.

If you have a machine that is affected, then here is the fix below:

1. Boot Windows into Windows Recovery Environment – (Shift + F8 when booting)
  2. Advanced options
  3. Select Troubleshoot
  4. Select Command prompt
  5. CMD will open
  6. Navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\CrowdStrike directory - type: cd windows\system32\drivers\crowdstrike
  7. Locate the file matching “C-00000291*.sys”, and delete it. - type: del c-00000291*.sys
  8. Exit CMD. - type exit
  9. Boot the machine normally.

Hope this is of use to someone

Edited by skinner75
added the commands to type in
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Featured on the 6pm TV News in this part of the World with widespread IT outages reported this afternoon in Australia affecting Banking, retail and service sectors. Self service checkouts out of action in supermarkets, similar problems with ATM machines.

My wife told me her internet wasn't working when she tried to start working from home this morning. Turns out it was her corporate network she was VPN'ed into. Down for the whole DIN Group both on-site and remote. Crazy how much economic damage one bungled update can cause. 

• Like 2

I was unaware of the worldwide transport chaos when I attempted to set off to the hardware shop on my bike.

However, it functioned correctly, without any apparent software issues.

On the way there and back, I had to pass through a temporary single-file traffic management zone, where the new houses are being finished, on the old petrol station.

The traffic was controlled by two lads with Stop/Go boards and they seemed to still be interfaced in a functional manner, by means of a line-of-sight communication system.

Phew.

• Funny 3