Old BR Blue Mk3's

Rate this topic

Indeed, a lot of their Mark IIIs are a lot older than ours too, running almost 1,000 miles a day and at up to 125mph. The blue grey livery was adopted by a charter company called 'Cargo D' (who had a rake of Mark IIs done out too) but they went bust. The coaches were on hire to DB Regio for Wrexham & Shropshire services and they have now bought up the coaches for Chiltern services.

It would appear to be a short sighted decision to pull them so quickly from service, it was part of the process of switching away from locos in favour of DMUs. For me they are so much more quiet and comfortable than the units and other stocks now covering the various links.

It would appear to be a short sighted decision to pull them so quickly from service, it was part of the process of switching away from locos in favour of DMUs. For me they are so much more quiet and comfortable than the units and other stocks now covering the various links.

I would tend to agree with this. It did appear to be quiet short sighted pulling the Mk3s half way through their lifespan only to end up parked up in marshalling yards up and down the country. I have no problem with the 22Ks, the business case for DMU's on commuter and intercity routes is pretty water tight, less staff needed to operate a service, quick turnaround between services etc... Plus, for someone from Waterford, the 22K's are heaps better than the antiquated stock that used to operate the Dublin route.

What I dont get is the CAF Cork train? Well apart from the ugly coulour scheme... wouldnt Mk3's operating exclusively on this route (freed up by DMU's on other routes) be able to offer the clockface time table that IE moved to? Was there not enough of them to cover the schedule? Was a cost benifit analysis of refurbished Mk3's + DVTs versus brand spanking new CAFs ever undertaken? It seems such a waste especially when you see these still in everyday service in the UK.

Mk3 First Capital Connect Service at London Paddington Spring 2009

l&h (37).jpg

Any one have any thoughts on this? Im sure its been covered before at great length over the years on other forums. But I am new to the Rail scene and would be interested to find out. Never got to travel on the Mk3's in Ireland, pass the rake parked in Waterford West every so often and it makes a sad sight :( Speaking of which, has anyone tried modelling a 'withdrawn' Mk3?

Withdrawn Mk3 Stock at Waterford West, Summer 2012

Waterford Plunket Stn. (37)_sm.jpg

Cheers, Tom

Waterford Plunket Stn. (34)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (34)_sm.jpg

I would tend to agree with this. It did appear to be quiet short sighted pulling the Mk3s half way through their lifespan only to end up parked up in marshalling yards up and down the country. I have no problem with the 22Ks, the business case for DMU's on commuter and intercity routes is pretty water tight, less staff needed to operate a service, quick turnaround between services etc... Plus, for someone from Waterford, the 22K's are heaps better than the antiquated stock that used to operate the Dublin route.

What I dont get is the CAF Cork train? Well apart from the ugly coulour scheme... wouldnt Mk3's operating exclusively on this route (freed up by DMU's on other routes) be able to offer the clockface time table that IE moved to? Was there not enough of them to cover the schedule? Was a cost benifit analysis of refurbished Mk3's + DVTs versus brand spanking new CAFs ever undertaken? It seems such a waste especially when you see these still in everyday service in the UK.

Any one have any thoughts on this? Im sure its been covered before at great length over the years on other forums. But I am new to the Rail scene and would be interested to find out. Never got to travel on the Mk3's in Ireland, pass the rake parked in Waterford West every so often and it makes a sad sight :( Speaking of which, has anyone tried modelling a 'withdrawn' Mk3?

Cheers, Tom

Tom, the MkIV (CAF) sets were not ordered to replace the MkIII stock, but to allow for the withdrawal of the Cravens and some of the worst examples of the MkII fleets. The MkIVs were to take over all services on the Cork line with the displaced MkIIIs being cascaded to other lines. This would have allowed the withdrawal of the Cravens, along with some improvement in frequencies on these lines.

It wasn't until later that the decision was taken to replace all loco-hauled services, except for the Cork and Belfast ones, with railcars. Indeed, Dick Fearn is reported to have stated that if he had been in charge when the new stock for the Cork line was being ordered then it would also have been railcars and not the MkIVs.

Hi Josefstadt,

Thanks for the info, gives it a bit more of a historical context. I guess at the time it appeared to be the way forward. But for me looking back (and I'm no expert) it looks like they went crazy splashing the cash and didnt mind under utilizing/throwing away what good things they had already (201 locos & Mk3 stock). There definitley was some ropy stuff still on the network in the not too distant past, so at least there is some progress to be greatful for.

Cheers,

Tom