Model Rail May & Shapeways

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Reading may's edition, there's a bit about a chap making warflats and such from Shapeways, Wild Board Models. Now I know there has been a fair bit of discussion on Shapeways before, but I had a look at what Wild Boar are producing, and it's much improved. Take a look at the ramp wagon at the end of the link, it is mighty impressive. Perhaps the 20ft chassis is no longer a pipe dream?

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/News/Wild_Boar_Models_announce_range_of_OO_gauge_wagon_kits/

More photos....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50852-printed-warwell-wagons/page__st__50&do=findComment&comment=647667

Richie.

Richie

A 20' chassis from Shapeways ( when available) would cost around €30 posted to Ireland

Multiple buys in the past had postage of around €5 on each item, they really ripped me off on postage

Dont know if they have fixed the postage cost now but they do work out expensive.

Fair point Wrenn, it's not cheap. I was actually thinking about it from a casting - moulding perspective. The quality yer man has got is pretty good, and If the detail were brought to a really high standard, then 30 notes seems fair enough, if you could then cast as many sideframes for chassisss [?] or bogie sideframes (Y25) as you needed. I think RedRich mentioned something about custom bogies once. Just a thought is all...

I have used Shapeways for producing parts with their Frosted detail material, apart from cost the biggest drawback for rolling stock particulary for wagon chassis is the sheer lack of weight.

Several modellers have used 3d printed models as patterns for resin castings or wax masters for lost wax casting.

I am not sure if its possible to get a wax model from shapeways or the plastic materials are suitable as patterns for whitemetal castings.

Going back to the 4 wheel flat wagons I am working on the design for a fold up brass chassis for the 22'6" skeletal flats, a bit more work to assemble than a casting but should combine a nice combination of weight and free running.

John

Will it be possible to convert them for 21mm John. I will be very interested to see how you design the outside w irons. Having seen your other designs I imagine it will be a top notch model. I will certainly be interested in purchasing some when they are ready.

Rich,

Rich

I am working around a design based on a 28mm axle suitable for 21 or OO gauge. I have worked out the basic principals for a chassis suitable for glued or soldered assembly.

I am looking at a rigid chassis with the option of Bill Bedford springing as a conventional rocking W Iron design is not feasible with these wagons.

I cn turn over the etch designs fairly quickly the challenge will be in producing the castings as for some unknown reason my computer software no longer converts to a usable 3D modelling file.

John

'I had a look at what Wild Boar are producing, and it's much improved. Take a look at the ramp wagon at the end of the link, it is mighty impressive. '

riche, i agree that the product looks good, but i would want to hold it in your hand before commenting. i got 2 sulzers and 4 of the e class and none of them were right. 2 of the e class were completely out of shape. they were replaced but even they were wrong. for the cost involved , i expected better. would need a lot of convincing to purchase from them again.

John the j hangers, axle boxes, sprung buffers were the one area that I was seeing as a potential stumbling block for myself when considering a complete scratch build. I looked at the idea of having them designed and manufactured by a company, but the initial outlay for the design alone wasn't worth it as I only needed enough for 16 wagons.

The Bill Bedford type springing is the way to go John as the bearings move up and down with the use of the supplied wire. I had looked at using an inside bearing but that would create too much drag on so many wagons.

I hope you don't have too many problems getting the 3D software problem sorted John, and the best of luck with this venture. I will certainly support you and purchase the kits when they are released.

Rich,