do long distance layouts exist?

Rate this question

bgnworks

Question

10 answers to this question

and if so, what would be the maximum length of a straight run of track?

Hi and welcome! Do you mean long distance as in 'long running'? If so, then this layout is quite long, we've timed a train at about 25 minutes to do one complete circuit. http://www.irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/795-A4-Mallard-s-new-layout-Progress-so-far

As for longest straight? I have no idea. More a 'gentle curves' man myself! ;)

At what speed? Although Brens layout is very long you would need to measure the track to answer the above question. Also bgnworks are you talking about the actual part of the layout that is visible with scenery or the entire layout with hidden sections of running track. Check out YouTube for some of the American layouts as some of them are very big and don't forget Wonderland in Germany.

At what speed? Although Brens layout is very long you would need to measure the track to answer the above question. Also bgnworks are you talking about the actual part of the layout that is visible with scenery or the entire layout with hidden sections of running track. Check out YouTube for some of the American layouts as some of them are very big and don't forget Wonderland in Germany.

Scale speed. Brendan would be able to tell you himself how long it is but it's worth remembering there are 6 or 7 levels involved.

thanks for the replies. I am interested in building my own layout but want a long stretch of track, going outside. I am wondering would I have to add batteries of power supplies every so often, to keep the train going. I'm not sure of the engineering aspect of this.

thanks for the replies. I am interested in building my own layout but want a long stretch of track, going outside. I am wondering would I have to add batteries of power supplies every so often, to keep the train going. I'm not sure of the engineering aspect of this.

Simply run a pair of decent wires alongside the track and make connections every now and then, so that you're not just relying on the fishplates for continuity. If you use flexi-track in yard lengths as well, then this will also cut down the number of connections.

A problem that you may well have outside is the connection between the wheels and the track. You'll need to clean the track fairly regularly...