Which Book?

Rate this question

Mike 84C

Question

11 answers to this question

I had the same conundrum years ago, and had a flick through the "other" version expecting a massive difference. Turns out the same mistakes are present - wrong photo/caption combo. One of the most cutting and brilliant books i've ever read. The section on carriage heating from steam to diesel transition is Elmore Leonard-esqe. Buy 2. You'll wear one out. R.

Desmond Coakham's articles in Railway Bylines Summer Specials (Irwell Press) are well worth looking out for. Excellent articles with brilliant photos on Grand Canal St (Number 5) Branch Lines (Number 3) & The Harcourt St Line (Annual No 3) and cutting comment on the Celtic Tiger Economy that turned out all too true.

I also bought this book, but for me it was a huge disappointment. There were two pictures of the Laminates and one of the Park Royal Coaches. There are only five pages about the entire mk2 mk3 de Dietrich and NIR mk2 coaches with five pictures. There is also no drawing in this Book. "Locomotives& Rolling Stock of Irish Rail and Northern Ireland Railways" Third Edition is considerably better, every Coach has a picture and the whole Book has more structure.

But this is only my opinion.

I also bought this book, but for me it was a huge disappointment. There were two pictures of the Laminates and one of the Park Royal Coaches. There are only five pages about the entire mk2 mk3 de Dietrich and NIR mk2 coaches with five pictures. There is also no drawing in this Book. "Locomotives& Rolling Stock of Irish Rail and Northern Ireland Railways" Third Edition is considerably better, every Coach has a picture and the whole Book has more structure.

But this is only my opinion.

I can see where you are coming from but if like me you model pre 1960 then its a must have in your book collection.

Maybe someone should do a book that covers the last 50 years only?

Of course the book is valuable for steam era modellers. A book about the last 50 years would be great and I would buy it.

Drawings of each vehicle were also great, like in this publication: http://www.amazon.de/Deutsches-Wagen-Archiv-Reisezugwagen-Reisezugwageneinsteller-Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft/dp/3344707833/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381225207&sr=1-2&keywords=Reisezugwagen+Archiv

A truly great book for northern and pre-CIE eras. But the entire CIE/IR/IE era is covered in six pages, so 'nuff said.

I'd go to Hirch and Doyle "Locomotives and Rolling Stock of the Coras Iompair Eireann and Northern Ireland Railways " as a far more comprehensive alternative if it's laminates and the multitude of variants you're after.

Guys, is there any difference in the content of the first and second editions of "Irish Broad Gauge Carriages" by Desmond Coakham? I ask because the covers are different and I can buy either edition so want to get the one with the better content if there is a difference. Please advise!

Hi

I just got a copy of this book on Amazon, I chose the new cover book on the site but received the old cover book!

murrayec

Transport Research Associates produced 'GSWR Carriage Diagrams' in 1975. This covers all the GS&WR stock still in existance in 1924 immediately before the the amalgamation which resulted in the formation of the GSR. The volume includes not only coaching stock vehicles (carriages, restaurant cars, luggage and brake vans) but also other vehicles which, because they were vacuum braked, could run in passenger trains (horse boxes, carriage trucks, fish vans etc). A lot of these vehicles lasted into the 1960s and some even were not withdrawan until the 1970s.

Each class of vehicle has a page devoted to it. Included are a drawing of one side and one end of the vehicle, as well as a plan view of the interior. There is also a table of dimensions and seating. Also included are details of build and withdrawal dates for each vehicle. - most useful for deciding which vehicles would be appropriate for a particular era.

I'd say this would be hard to find now but the IRRS would most probably have one which could be referenced.