Scots Mac's workbench

Rate this topic

Scots Mac

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys, thanks for the thumbs up,... leo,the card I'm using looks to me to be about 1mm ,but don't quote me on it for my eyesight isn't the best but its about that. Anyway, worked away at this tonight (now 2 AM). I think??:confused: I have the belpaire just about right. She should taper in at the bottom more I know but by the time i get the wheel splashers in place and the rest of the detail she should look OK. I gave the whole thing a blast of primer just to see how its looking. I do that quite a lot when I'm modelling,especially when you have the white of the plasticard interspersed with the grey of the catalloy it can confuse the eye as to what the finish is like.So I find that at different stages its handy to blast it with primer to get a uniform picture of the finish. Anyway here she is with the belpaire extended. Next on the agenda is re-working the cab and fitting the wheelsplashers. Then I'll wrap the smokebox and get the chimney fitted.Hopefully the new domes will turn up this week from the suppliers.DSCN3018.jpg

DSCN3017.jpg

Edited by Scots Mac

Hi Guys, got nothing done yesterday because I ran out of glue however am in the middle of doing the cab right now. New sides new roof now in place ,backfilled with catalloy. Just some smoothin off to do. Then its wheel splashers and smokebox/chimney etc. Hoping to get it to that stage tonight. DavyDSCN3019.jpg

hi Guys, smokebox wrapped and chimney applied...starting to look like a locomotive again !! The tender in this pic is from a Hornby LNER

B17 . Its too short but its the nearest looking tender I can get and is similar to similar shorter types that some Irish engines sported. DSCN3021.jpg

Hi Nelson, I don't mind brush painting.I like Humbrol paints,Railmatch,and Revell enamels too, but I always use satin spray varnish for finishing.Speaking of which I just ran out of satin varnish 5 minutes ago while trying to finish this second 400. However this picture of her next to 402 shows the difference in the running plates. Neither model is perfect but I think I've managed to capture the essence of the real thing.

When you consider that both locos together cost me around £60 to £65 in total its no bad methinks. Still some detailing to go of course !!DSCN3028.jpg

Hi Jhb,I'd love to see that picture,is there anyway you can scan/send me it ?..or post it here ? Anyway heres a pic I took of my two 400 types and the 650 tank. I've now done the 650 rear end but still need to do some work inside the cab/cab steps and fit a trailing wheel and some handrails etc. Likewise the two 400s need a fair bit of tarting up yet too. DSCN3033.jpg

Those look great Scots Mac! I would say, as a constructive comment, the grey was generally darker, though Senior recalls seeing a single loco sitting outside the paint shop in Inchicore in the late 1930s in even lighter wagon grey!

The conversion is superb too.

All you need now is a dose of heavy weathering!

I don't have a scanner but I will see what I can do re getting a copy of that pic put up here. Leave it with me and I will consult those with a better "tech-head" on them than I have when it comes to computery stuff!

Hi Jh, that grey looks lighter because of the close up photo-flash.In normal light it does look not too bad and quite dark As for the 400s in the Mclements book they are definately recorded as having been given the green treatment in the 50s. On the smugmug CIE gallery there are monochrome photos in which a few of the 400s look very clean and could quite possibly be in lined green but its hard to know if its rivit lines or lining on the tenders. Class B 2 - 402 - GS&WR Class 400 4-cylinder 4-6-0, built 1921 by Inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1927 rebuilt as 2-cylinder simple, 1945 to CIE, 1946 rebuilt with superheated Belpaire boiler, 1953 rebuilt with superheated Belpaire boiler - withdrawn 1961.

This photo pf 407 certainly looks like shes imacculate and quite possibly in the,lined green....http://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/CORAS-IOMPAIR-EIREANN-STEAM/18279129_TbnP49#!i=2844309905&k=m57B4cv&lb=1&s=X2

Edited by Scots Mac

The pic of 402 at Mallow certainly seems green as I see some trace of lining, though interestingly there seems no trace of the number on the buffer beam. For a free, grey or black loco that would be highly unusual. All locos were generally numbered there under all ownerships.

The one of 407 I'm not sure about. No lining seems visible, and the numeral and "snail" seem clean enough - it could be grey.

Hi JH, you could be right about the lining. I did read somwhere thouigh that numbers on drawbars were dispensed with on locos that got smokebox door numbers. This seems to be the case on 402, theres also a photo of Macha or Tailte? without drawbar numbers , On that photo you have of 401 in green JH is there any sign of lining ? Cheers Davy

Hi Guys, dead day today,other commitments having to take priority .... such is life. Aye I;d love to see that picture of the green 400 JHB. Is there a view of the tender ? I;m curious to see how the tenders were lined .Especially those with the outwardly curved top body flanges as opposed to flat sided tender or the 800 tenders.???? As for the green. I think the green paint I'm using is maybe a wee bit on the dark side BUT its as near as I could get to the Bachmann Irish 2-6-0 I have and the accompanying Bachmann coaches so I'll stick to it,accurate or not.

Scots Mac, if your green is a bit dark I wouldn't worry too much, as locos painted green could either fade badly, or get a lot darker with wear, depending on the amount of cleaning done, and the quality of the paint. I have seen more than one pic of CIE green locos looking very dirty in very late steam days when everything was being run down. At least one Woolwich as well as 402 ended up like this.

Hi Leo, would you believe it, the tender drive unit just stopped working, absolutely dead.It was a lovely smooth running quiet unit and it just died.I can't see anything obviously wrong so I'll need to strip it down when I get a chance and see what the problem is. But having said that , the three Mainline loco mechanisms on my 800s are running fine so adding tender drive methinks will be overkill because I never enviseage big long heavy trains.The mainline units are a wee bit noisy but they actually don't sound un-steam engine-like in character when doin so.So they'll do the job. I'm afraid due to work and other commitments all modelling activity has had to stop for now .But work is work. A living has to be made !! But in the words of Scwarzeneger...... I'll be back !:trains: