Irish Steel Haulbowline

Rate this topic

Here's a few photos of the 4' 8½" gauge line used by Irish Steel on Haulbowline. They were taken during an IRRS visit, but I can't remember the date. First there are two views of one of the three Unilok road/rail shunting locomotives used on the system - the number would seem to be IA01 (or 1A01):

Haulbowline 1.jpg

Haulbowline 2.jpg

The next photo is of one of the system's bogie flatcars. These were previously used on a variety of US railroads:

Haulbowline 3.jpg

Next is a photo of the end of the line on the site's pier, looking towards Great Island. Cobh station is just out of view to the right:

Haulbowline 4.jpg

Finally a photo of the ferry 'Thomas Óg' which provided the service from Cobh to the island:

Haulbowline 5.jpg

• Like 5

• 7 years later...
On 23/12/2013 at 2:25 AM, josefstadt said:

Here's a few photos of the 4' 8½" gauge line used by Irish Steel on Haulbowline. They were taken during an IRRS visit, but I can't remember the date. First there are two views of one of the three Unilok road/rail shunting locomotives used on the system - the number would seem to be IA01 (or 1A01):

Haulbowline 1.jpg

Haulbowline 2.jpg

The next photo is of one of the system's bogie flatcars. These were previously used on a variety of US railroads:

Haulbowline 3.jpg

Next is a photo of the end of the line on the site's pier, looking towards Great Island. Cobh station is just out of view to the right:

Haulbowline 4.jpg

Finally a photo of the ferry 'Thomas Óg' which provided the service from Cobh to the island:

Haulbowline 5.jpg

Two bogie wagons there - am I right? I think I read that somewhere.... perfect for a "mini-layout"!

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/12/2013 at 2:25 AM, josefstadt said:

Haulbowline 1.jpg

Haulbowline 2.jpg

Haulbowline 3.jpg

Haulbowline 4.jpg

Haulbowline 5.jpg

While looking for something else earlier Josefstadt I found the slides I took on this trip, it was Saturday 7th July 1984, our train from Cork to Cobh and back to Cork was Aclass 005 5 coaches and small van, our train back home was 076 17.30 Cork Heuston with newly introduce MK3 coaches, I remember when we were out at Haulbowline  the guy proudly telling us ''this was the only 4'8'' gauge railway in the whole of Ireland at the time.

• Like 2