To Cork or Not to Cork

Rate this topic

Geordiekerryman

Hi Fellas

I'm confused. There are so many differing opinions regarding whether to lay cork or not on the layout baseboard.

Many swear by it, many say that it serves no useful purpose, some say that benefits sound wise are negated by the sound created after ballasting.

Is there any consensus within IRM

Help

Please

Geordiekerryman

In my experience the best sound reduction is achieved with ballasted foam underlay. Gauge master/noch make excellent versions in both grey and brown ballast. Followed by woodlands scenics foam and copydex fixed ballast.

Foam or cork with Pva set ballast is in my opinion just about the same as ballasting right into the baseboard from a sound point of view but you do get the elevation and ballast shoulder.

Vey much agree with BosKonay on the merits of cork, but continue to use it nevertheless & it does, as he says, work well as the ballast shoulder. An alternative is to use some sort of light foam underlay. the type sold to go under wood/laminate flooring springs to mind, but you'd need to be building a big layout [or laying a floor] to make it worthwhile buying as it only comes in quite large rolls.

Vey much agree with BosKonay on the merits of cork, but continue to use it nevertheless & it does, as he says, work well as the ballast shoulder. An alternative is to use some sort of light foam underlay. the type sold to go under wood/laminate flooring springs to mind, but you'd need to be building a big layout [or laying a floor] to make it worthwhile buying as it only comes in quite large rolls.

Dear Kerryman

When I started work on Portadown, I asked Colm Flanagan about this ballasting thing. He recommended cork underlay, but also said he used the Gaugemaster stuff for curves.

So, I did exactly that for my first circuit.

When I read your thread the other day, I rushed upstairs to the loft and ran both a 201 and a Class WT round with the same results - the foam Gaugemanster stuff is a BIT quieter - a definite change of sound.

This is laid on a plywood baseboard with quite deep framing, which COULD produce a noisy result - but with either of these solutions, it's pretty quiet. So, take your pick - the Gaugemaster stuff ain't cheap at over £20 a roll!

DON'T use the Peco stuff, which crumbles to sticky dust after about 15 years - having been used on the previous German layout (which, needless to say got nowhere during my working years).

Of course, you couldn't tell at all the difference at all if you're running sound locos - you're so busy listening to the lovely chuffs and clanks that the house could be falling down ..........

Leslie

• 4 weeks later...