Seats on the Bus ?

Rate this topic

Ben

They, unfortunately, are correct Ben. At one stage Dublin City Services (which was the division of CIÉ that ran Dublin's buses before the 1987 break up) fitted a number of buses with wooden bench seats upstairs in am attempt to curb vandalism. They were the most uncomfortable seats I ever encountered and, as the base was perfectly flat, one had the tendency to slide off the seat when the bus went round a corner at speed. The experiment fortunately didn't last too long and, along with piped music, was one of CIÉ's less successful ideas. I'm sure someone will have more details.

I went to ten schools, often a long way from wherever we were living at the time - for one year, I had to go eighteen miles there, and back, every day, in what amounted to a old van with wooden benches that were fitted fore and aft - whenever the brakes were applied we all slid up to the front in a heap...

There would be a queue of clip-boards a mile long if you tried it today.

And then there were the dreadful plastic seats on the old AEC railcars in their end-days as dilapidated push-pull trailers.....

Agreed, but at least in those days there seemed to be a 'can do' attitude in CIÉ - or at least the railway section. And of course there was one advantage with the push-pulls - they couldn't be 'robbed' on a Friday to provide extra capacity on the main line as the hauled stock was every week! Nowadays IÉ would cite H&S concerns and would cancel services rather than inovate.

I went to ten schools, often a long way from wherever we were living at the time - for one year, I had to go eighteen miles there, and back, every day, in what amounted to a old van with wooden benches that were fitted fore and aft - whenever the brakes were applied we all slid up to the front in a heap...

There would be a queue of clip-boards a mile long if you tried it today.

Any of these by any chance?

Artane Industrial School

Summerhill Industrial School

St Laurences Industrial School, Finglas

St Josephs Industrial School, Drumcondra

St Vincents Industrial School, Drogheda

St Vincents Industrial School, Goldenbridge

St Marthas Industrial School, Bundoran

St Josephs Industrial School, Letterfrack?

I dont think sliding around in a van would have been your greatest worry :((

Any of these by any chance?

Artane Industrial School

Summerhill Industrial School

St Laurences Industrial School, Finglas

St Josephs Industrial School, Drumcondra

St Vincents Industrial School, Drogheda

St Vincents Industrial School, Goldenbridge

St Marthas Industrial School, Bundoran

St Josephs Industrial School, Letterfrack?

I dont think sliding around in a van would have been your greatest worry :((

None of those - but I did go to one where the good lads got to march around with Lee-Enfields in the dinner hour. We discovered that the place where they were kept, under the stage, also housed a Bren-gun and a three-inch mortar.

None of those - but I did go to one where the good lads got to march around with Lee-Enfields in the dinner hour. We discovered that the place where they were kept, under the stage, also housed a Bren-gun and a three-inch mortar.

well, that ruled out spike island so....:rolleyes:

spike.jpg