Rail Freight revival?

Rate this topic

dave182

http://www.handling-network.com/tracking-irish-railfreight/

Interesting article here, seems to be current, and from a source that would have accurate information. Cork seems to be next on the list for reintroduction of a container flow? Anyone can confirm this? There is obviously demand from the private sector for alternatives to road haulage. With Irish Rail in such a financial mess, surely the time is now for the introduction of a private rail operator?!

"One solution ...is increasing the platform length on currently unused ‘LP’ type wagons to allow carriage of 45’ long containers rather than their current 40’ limitation. A prototype is likely to be constructed during the next few months to prove the design."

Great. Just when I'm ready to launch the 42' bogie flat, they change the goalposts.... ;)

Josefstadt, you might have a valid point there- I couldn't pin down a date on that piece. The new Dublin Port connection, along with the IWT liner, were launched on 13th July 2011, so we are looking at an article less than 3 years old. Is it more opinion based than fact based I wonder?

Josefstadt, you might have a valid point there- I couldn't pin down a date on that piece. The new Dublin Port connection, along with the IWT liner, were launched on 13th July 2011, so we are looking at an article less than 3 years old. Is it more opinion based than fact based I wonder?

It can only be regarded as a speculative piece; written by a UK-based rail industry professional with an interest in the Irish scene, yet there are no references or direct quotes from any of the parties mentioned to back up the claims being made...

Edited by Garfield