B25 Mitchell under construction

Rate this topic

Noel

Another side of my modelling hobby is RC model aircraft

B25 Mitchell of 'Dolittle Raiders' fame. The MM 141 loco on bottom of pic gives a sense of scale. Construction is spruce spars, lite ply formers and carved balsa planked sheeting. Its a Nick Ziroli plan, about 101 inch wingspan.

IMG_4760.jpg

Part of the tail plane.

IMG_4761.jpg

When finished she will be covered with a very thin layer of fibreglass cloth (i.e. instead of dope and tissue as used on smaller models) and then painted. She will have a pair of Zenoah 38cc petrol engines and controlled by Multiplex radio kit.

Have an 80% completed AT6 Texan/Harvard ready for spraying which will have a Zenoah 60cc petrol motor. But the RC scale hobby is being parked now for a long break while I get working on the layout.

Edited by Noel

Another side of my modelling hobby is RC model aircraft

B25 Mitchell of 'Dolittle Raiders' fame. The MM 141 loco on bottom of pic gives a sense of scale. Construction is spruce spars, lite ply formers and carved balsa planked sheeting. Its a Nick Ziroli plan, about 101 inch wingspan.

IMG_4760.jpg

Part of the tail plane.

IMG_4761.jpg

When finished she will be covered with a very thin layer of fibreglass cloth (i.e. instead of dope and tissue as used on smaller models) and then painted. She will have a pair of Zenoah 38cc petrol engines and controlled by Multiplex radio kit.

Have an 80% completed AT6 Texan/Harvard ready for spraying which will have a Zenoah 60cc petrol motor. But the RC scale hobby is being parked now for a long break while I get working on the layout.

Are you in the Shannon Club Noel, Seen a B-25 on the Flightlines Mag last edition, Might be the same scale, Looks the Job, Are you putting in a Working Bomb bay?

Is that a Chipmunk Canopy in the Background?

Hi George

No I used to be a member of SRFC in Wicklow. Most of my old flying pals now operate out of a club up in Roundwood. It's been a while since I was on that scene. Well spotted, the canopy in the box behind belongs to an AT-6 Texan/Harvard which is also about 102" scratch built from plans. And yes the bomb bay will have operating doors and working bomb releases (micro parachute types for recovery and flower bombs for target competitions). The cockpit panel beside the MM loco actually belongs to the AT-6. Also used to fly choppers and pattern aerobatics many moons ago, but once I got used to petrol motors I never wanted to hear the screech of a high revving glo motors ever again! :) That end of the hobby has pretty much gone electric now anyway, and quad copters have ruined flying.

Noel

• 4 weeks later...
Noel that looks amazing, can I sit in the bomber's seat =)) anyway, you mentioned my adopted county, Wicklow, did you ever go up to the featherbed, as there's always guys flying all types of craft up there over the valley below,

No hadn't flown up there. Calary bog opposite the sugar loaf where the SRFC was based used to be my regular haunt. I used to commute via the featherbeds until the M50 south section was built. Spent a day snowed in up there 18 years ago in a blizzard when twits in cars blocked the road both in front of me and behind me. They hadn't chains, not even a shovel, no rope, boots, gloves nor jackets - townie folk who thought 4wd cars could drive through 2ft of drifted snow. Had to dig the cars out using 4x4 tractors later that night! Many years ago when I used to participate at public air shows and flying displays we used to operate 'toffee bombers'. We would fill the bomb bays with sweats tied to miniature parachutes and streamers, then fly over the crowd dropping the load over exited children who would excitedly run hither and thither trying to catch a falling sweet. Happy memories.

Many years ago when I used to participate at public air shows and flying displays we used to operate 'toffee bombers'. We would fill the bomb bays with sweats tied to miniature parachutes and streamers, then fly over the crowd dropping the load over exited children who would excitedly run hither and thither trying to catch a falling sweet. Happy memories.

Hopefully, they all came down singly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKo2Nm9ZO0Q

No hadn't flown up there. Calary bog opposite the sugar loaf where the SRFC was based used to be my regular haunt. I used to commute via the featherbeds until the M50 south section was built. Spent a day snowed in up there 18 years ago in a blizzard when twits in cars blocked the road both in front of me and behind me. They hadn't chains, not even a shovel, no rope, boots, gloves nor jackets - townie folk who thought 4wd cars could drive through 2ft of drifted snow. Had to dig the cars out using 4x4 tractors later that night! Many years ago when I used to participate at public air shows and flying displays we used to operate 'toffee bombers'. We would fill the bomb bays with sweats tied to miniature parachutes and streamers, then fly over the crowd dropping the load over exited children who would excitedly run hither and thither trying to catch a falling sweet. Happy memories.

Well Noel, where I live in Wicklow I know exactly what you mean by "twits in cars " as I remember I think the year was 2009, when I was stuck at home because of the depth of snow, not one, but two four wheel drives drove up past our house to wait for it, "Have a Look at the snow on the featherbed " & yes they got stuck & again I say, not one but two Air Core choppers flew up past us to airlift them out, & the really sic part of this, one of them a Company owner in yes Dublin was interviewed on RTE TV about their "Trauma" & you've guessed it they did'nt get a bill ! I think there called "Sunday Drivers " or something like that !!!!!

Well Noel, where I live in Wicklow I know exactly what you mean by "twits in cars " as I remember I think the year was 2009, when I was stuck at home because of the depth of snow, not one, but two four wheel drives drove up past our house to wait for it, "Have a Look at the snow on the featherbed " & yes they got stuck & again I say, not one but two Air Core choppers flew up past us to airlift them out, & the really sic part of this, one of them a Company owner in yes Dublin was interviewed on RTE TV about their "Trauma" & you've guessed it they did'nt get a bill ! I think there called "Sunday Drivers " or something like that !!!!!

Well we're drifting a little off topic and that's my fault, but as helicopters were mentioned and I also build model choppers, and the silly people in cars drove the SAR services off the rails it could be vaguely considered related to model aviation on a model rail forum. :) And yes the three SUVs I towed out of trouble in 2009 (families out to play in dads tank) did not even have tow bars, and one was switched into 2wd drive mode. I'll post more model aircraft pics when I get a chance. :)

Ps. I was driving a 4x4 but knew what the diff lock switch did and to turn all the auto guff off in snow & ice. Quadradrive rocks.