Track Geometry

Rate this question

Alan564017

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi Alan. It is possible but the geometry of Peco streamline 00 points is different to Hormby set-track. You will need very short lengths of flexible track to link the SL90 to hornby set-track. There is nothing worse looking than kinked joints in track work or gaps in sleepers at track joints, but a few CM of flexitrack can easily avoid this and look great. Noel

Hi Alan, cut up some flex track would be best. I'm building a layout at the moment for a customer and it's 7' 6" x 4'. Because it's small I am spacing the track to 67mm for clearance but I am using all Peco flex track. I had to fit extra pieces of track between the points. Here's a pic

2015-01-21 16.20.47.jpg

2015-01-21 16.20.26.jpg

Guys, thanks for the answers, Dave thanks for the pictures. I thought hornby and peco were geometrically compatible. The double slip is a very useful piece of track for managing siding etc., and after messing around on anyrail software it looks like the flexi track is the only answer.

Dave, with respect to your layout, if the hornby and peco are the same and your looking for 67mm centers why did you have to add an additional piece of track between?

Alan, I think that the issue isn’t the difference between Hornby and Peco but the difference between Setrack and Streamline geometry. For example, a crossover using a pair of Hornby R613 turnouts or one using a pair of Peco Setrack ST240 turnouts will be identical and will give a 67mm gap between track centres.

Geometry - Setrack.jpg

However, a crossover using Peco Streamline, e.g. the SL88 type, turnouts will give a narrower gap, 50mm, between track centres. To achieve a 67mm gap requires the insertion of a short section of track between the two turnouts and I presume that this is what Dave has done on his layout. The SL90 Doubleslip conforms to the geometry of the SL88/SL89 turnouts, so would also require the inclusion of a short extra section of track:

Geometry - Streamline SL90 v Setrack.jpg