Installing DCC in DMU with 2 or more cars

Rate this question

DiveController

Question

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to install a DCC decoder in an Irish outline DMU like the Bachmann 2700 class (30-051) with proper control of the directional marker lights and cab lights (I am not certain that it has the latter as I don't have one yet)

I did not see anything in our new DCC sub forum and was wondering if anyone has done this.

I had a look online at RMweb and the main solutions seem to be

1. A single motor control chip in the power car and a two-function second chip in the non-powered car to control lighting

2. A chip in each car (fortunately only two cars in this DMU) so they effectively run as 'a consist' (although one is unpowered). I believe the advantage of the latter method is to circumvent some issues the chip in the unpowered car would encounter working out direction of motion.

DESIRABLE

3. If possible it would be nice to separate the cars as required for storage or servicing, which is why I didn't want to send several long wires to the lighting on the unpowered car.

4. At some point in the (probably distant) future I would likely wish to light the passenger compartment of the cars and it would be good to future proof them rather than binning everything and starting from scratch.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

10 answers to this question

Hi Kevin

I may be facing the same dilemma later this year when I repaint and convert a 3car dmu to 1950s CIE aec green. I had planned on a single Lenz decider wired to the centre and trailer coaches using micro plugs and sockets painted dark brown (ie to vaguely resemble air hoses). Eoin who builds the Dart RTR models is possibley best placed to answer this one from experience.

Noel

Although not a DMU, I have a ScotRail push/pull set with a sound fitted Class 47/7 at one end and a sound fitted DBSO at the other. They are both set up as a double headed unit so that lights are white at the leading end and red at the other when the leading vehicle is selected for driving. It also means that the horn sound comes from the correct end of the train, not such an issue with a two or three car DMU, but a must for a six coach push/pull. Phosphor bronze strip is used on the DBSO for pickup on every wheel, along with a bit of extra weight. The loco already has all wheel pickup and the weight.

Although not a DMU, I have a ScotRail push/pull set with a sound fitted Class 47/7 at one end and a sound fitted DBSO at the other. They are both set up as a double headed unit so that lights are white at the leading end and red at the other when the leading vehicle is selected for driving. It also means that the horn sound comes from the correct end of the train, not such an issue with a two or three car DMU, but a must for a six coach push/pull. Phosphor bronze strip is used on the DBSO for pickup on every wheel, along with a bit of extra weight. The loco already has all wheel pickup and the weight.

Hi David,

Is the DBSO powered or its a true push/pull? You must at least have a second speaker in the DBSO for sound? THe DBSo pickups are for sound/light but are not connected back to the motor, correct?

Kevin,

The DBSO is not powered, and the pickups are purely for sound and lights. A speaker is installed in the DBSO. There is no connection between the loco and DBSO, the DBSO being treated as the second loco in a double headed consist, although at the other end of the train. Sounds other than the horn are also installed in the DBSO, such as a guard's whistle, doors slamming and brake squeal. Any sound is possible if you have a programmer. The sound decoder was one I picked up for peanuts on ebay, so the installation was not as expensive as it could have been.

Finally got this straight thanks to all of you.

Nice video and good little layout, Eamonn. Must be the sunny south-east to have it outside.

Thanks, David for your input.

Noel, is your center car the power car for your DMU? Have you triple headed anything with your DCC, it's NCE? If so, it's odd looking brown hose-pipes versus the cost of two lighting decoders one for each end car. Might be better in the long run?

One more question folks…

If I were to install something like Enniscorthyman's setup and later wished to have cab lighting for the cars and/or lighting for the passenger compartment, what would I need in terms of a decoder. I presume the TCS light decoder is good for maybe two functions (red and white marker nights, respectively). Do I need one to handle four functions (i.e.cab, and passenger comp lights)

Finally got this straight thanks to all of you.

Nice video and good little layout, Eamonn. Must be the sunny south-east to have it outside.

Thanks, David for your input.

Noel, is your center car the power car for your DMU? Have you triple headed anything with your DCC, it's NCE? If so, it's odd looking brown hose-pipes versus the cost of two lighting decoders one for each end car. Might be better in the long run?

One more question folks…

If I were to install something like Enniscorthyman's setup and later wished to have cab lighting for the cars and/or lighting for the passenger compartment, what would I need in terms of a decoder. I presume the TCS light decoder is good for maybe two functions (red and white marker nights, respectively). Do I need one to handle four functions (i.e.cab, and passenger comp lights)

I was also wondering after fitting the decoders, whether it will still run for testing etc. on DC?

Edited by DiveController
Typo