NCE powercab

Rate this question

richrua

Question

I decided to switch from the Hornby rail master software to the NCE power cab.

While I did find the railmaster software ok, it became a little too much screen for me. I am a bit more of a hands on type, no problems with computers , but railways are a bit different.

I have the NCE on order and will let you know how I get on. It just looks like a more hands on type controller, plus will mean i won't have to sit behind a screen !

What do you think ?

16 answers to this question

I expect you will really enjoy driving with the powercab. It's quite user friendly and good ergonomics. One piece of advice, the 'momentum' button is unnecessary and recommend you never use it (ie it reprogrammes CVs). I find powercab function ergonomics good for sound locos. It feels good for single handed use. The buttons feel just the right size. It's also a very expandable system.

I prefer it to my smartphone app.

Edited by Noel

I expect you will really enjoy driving with the powercab. It's quite user friendly and good ergonomics. One piece of advice, the 'momentum' button is unnecessary and recommend you never use it (ie it reprogrammes CVs). I find powercab function ergonomics good for sound locos. It feels good for single handed use. The buttons feel just the right size. It's also a very expandable system.

I prefer it to my smartphone app.

Yeah the momentum button can cause havoc with sound decoders especially Loksounds.

All good news so! I sort of always planned to move to an NCE. Decided to sell a few bits on eBay that I never used and came out with more than I expected so I finally took the plunge.

You won't regret it. :-bd

Yeah the momentum button can cause havoc with sound decoders especially Loksounds.

Interesting piece here on ESU/NCE momentum issue.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89097-beware-nce-and-esu-momentum-idiosyncrasies

I used the 'momentum' button once on a LokSound decoder and it did mess up the sound until I did a 'soft' decoder reset to reinstate normal behaviour. Btw, be careful never to do a full reset of a sound decoder because it can wipe the sound project and not just reset CVs. I prefer Zimo decoders F5 light engine mode which does not mess around with CVs.

Btw, be careful never to do a full reset of a sound decoder because it can wipe the sound project and not just reset CVs. I prefer Zimo decoders F5 light engine mode which does not mess around with CVs.

If you're talking about resetting cv 8 to a value 0, 2 or 8 (some makes of decoder use different values) then this won't wipe the sound project. But what it will do is reset settings like start/top/mid voltage and acceleration/deceleration which are often set to match the engine sounds. If you reset them all to default then the loco sounds could be out of sync.

You can only change/remove the sound file by using the correct programming interface.

Edited by irishthump

Powercab rocks. NCE know their business. Happy man .

Glad you like it. The NCE cab is the reason I went with them rather than ESU eCos (i.e. handheld v games console ergonomics). All DCC system controllers basically do what they say on the tin, but it is the cab infrastructure that makes the difference to suit individual preferences and tastes.

Hi noel. Now that i have had a bit more time with it i am delighted with the whole powercab. Everything software wise is very simple and intuitive . Step by step manual written in simple steps. It is also packed with features. plus the little thumb wheel allows you to look at the loco rather than the controller, just like DCC. I fully recommend it and in comparison to dcc railmaster , this is the way to go.thanks.

Have to agree with the above comments regarding the NCE Powercab. Got one at the Glasgow show and found it quite easy to set up, even for a complete novice in the world of dcc. Had been thinking of the Lenz 100 starter set, but the Powercab's cost was less than half that of the Lenz and it got a better recomendation from the staff on the Digitrains stand.

Well it's just over a year ago since I switched from DC to DCC and after much investigation went with NCE Pro cab back then. Have to say it has its good points and a few weaknesses, but overall delighted using it this fast year. Ergonomically the dog bone shapped hand held cab excels because it becomes invisible and doesn't get in the way of operations. Unsighted single handed use suits me.

I like the inexpensive cab bus. I've put cab sockets all around the layout so can operate inside or out. The feel in hand of the cab is my favourite pro point, however I'd love a few minor tweaks (ie colour screen with loco names, ability to use buttons while in info display mode, get rid of the daft momentum button, etc). The reason I didn't go for the ESU was the fixed console nature of the twin cab controller would not have suited our layout.

I've been using the NCE Powercab for about 8 years and love it. I chose it after testing various other systems because I found the user-interface and the ergonomics of it far more user-friendly than other systems. As a matter of fact my club switched from Digitrax to NCE after they tried my NCE and saw how simple and user-friendly it was.

I don't use the momentum button very often but on the occasions I have used it it has not caused any problems.

I might suggest everybody keep the NCE Yahoo group in their backpocket so to speak....its a group that has been around for at least 12-14 years...nice guys and very knowledgable about all aspects of the NCE system,if one runs into the odd problem.

Cheers

Gene

Has anyone here bought the SB5 Booster to go along with the original Power Cab?

I know that the original PCP adaptor that you plugged your track wires and connectors into becomes redundant, and they tell you to use a UTP adaptor. However I don't think this comes with the SB5 package, or does it?

If not, how did you get around this? Are they readily available from reliable suppliers or is there another workaround?

Edited by Blu Bianco