Portugal 2015

Rate this topic

I was in Lisbon last weekend and managed to get some photos of some trams and trains while I was there...

First, some photos of trams on the city's streets. The track gauge is 900m or 2ft 11 7⁄16in.

2q84oav.jpg

skvzhh.jpg

2na4bjd.jpg

2wp6ts7.jpg

A quick snap of a metro train.

rlm81d.jpg

And some shots taken at Gare de Lisbonne-Santa Apolónia. The mainline gauge in Portugal is the same as in Spain - 1,668 mm or 5ft 5 21⁄32in (Iberian Gauge).

2u5ff39.jpg

(That logo looks oddly familiar...)

kevk3p.jpg

9jp4c2.jpg

10nu69d.jpg

2rotc3m.jpg

2cze2r.jpg

2sani4j.jpg

(These coaches look very like the old Inox coaches formerly operated by SNCF)

2r60ao3.jpg

2ytw8kl.jpg

(Two EMUs waiting to depart. The one on the right is a double-decker unit).)

244rxo7.jpg

(The station pilot. Pretty sure this is an English Electric loco, judging by the bogies and the whistle from the engine.)

4jrhbo.jpg

14ccrgx.jpg

A couple of shots taken around the area of Belém, where the railway runs between two parallel roads...

50sga0.jpg

2hgdc3l.jpg

And finally, a shot of Gare do Oriente taken from the outside at night.

16lbasg.jpg

Edited by Garfield

Thanks folks! :)

Nice shots, I believe the English electric loco is basically a class 20 in a different body. They used to have a small fleet of locos closely related to class 50s too. I think their Alcos are gone now too?

Yeah, fairly sure the ALCOs are gone now... would love to see one in the flesh. However, it looks like the EE design team took its queue from the RS-2's profile!

Thanks folks! :)

Yeah, fairly sure the ALCOs are gone now... would love to see one in the flesh. However, it looks like the EE design team took its queue from the RS-2's profile!

They're quite similar alright. Are the big French diesels that ran in Portugal gone now too? They always sounded impressive, 56esque and 071 levels of noise.

They're quite similar alright. Are the big French diesels that ran in Portugal gone now too? They always sounded impressive, 56esque and 071 levels of noise.

I'm not sure, Fran... I don't know an awful lot about Portuguese railways, to be honest. They did have some locos which were based on SNCF's BB 6300 class. Are these the ones you're referring to?

I'm not sure, Fran... I don't know an awful lot about Portuguese railways, to be honest. They did have some locos which were based on SNCF's BB 6300 class. Are these the ones you're referring to?

Erm, I have little knowledge of the French stuff. These fellas!

7279796992_37f7c635d8_b.jpgCP (Comboios de Portugal) 1900 Series Diesel Locomotive, Poceirão, Portugal by Pantufa, on Flickr

Erm, I have little knowledge of the French stuff. These fellas!

Ah ha! Haven't a clue... however, their French cousins (CC 7200) are an extremely endangered species now - only two left in traffic to haul dead TGV sets between depots.

Edit: Looks like they may still be in service. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_Class_1900

Edited by Garfield

Ah ha! Haven't a clue... however, their French cousins (CC 7200) are an extremely endangered species now - only two left in traffic to haul dead TGV sets between depots.

Edit: Looks like they may still be in service

As far as I know there is still one operating from Cacia to Aveiro Port as the line is not electrified.

Here is a photo on flickr taken two months ago of CP 1902:https://www.flickr.com/photos/42358390@N03/16446478900

On my last trip to Portugal last summer I seen one in a loco transfer with a 1960 and two vectons.

I hope to get some more shots this summer as they sometimes work wood trains from Tuy - Gaia in Porto.

Nice video. Must actually visit Porto again myself... it's a beautiful city. :)

Great pics Garfieldsghost!!! I was in Lisbon last year, really liked it! Got a night train from Madrid. Were you in the Alfama area by any chance. Some of the pictures look like it. Unbelievable views!

Cheers! We covered a lot of ground there, so it's possible some of those tram pics were taken around Alfama. :)

Edited by Garfield