creating running river-water

Rate this question

The Derry Road

Question

16 answers to this question

Fellow modellers, I'm seeking information on ways and or methods on creating a flowing river. Any info, suggestions or experiences would be helpful TDR

Do you mean one with genuinely flowing water? I saw a N gauge layout a couple of years ago with an actual flowing river in it and, to be honest, it looked less real than a good static 'river' would.

To create a small river on my layout I borrowed an idea from an old Railway Modeller and used clear silicone to simulate flowing water. I found putting a layer of PVA on top of the river 'bed' and then covering it with the silicone sealant to work best. Not ideal in cramped locations due to the odour though!

To create a small river on my layout I borrowed an idea from an old Railway Modeller and used clear silicone to simulate flowing water. I found putting a layer of PVA on top of the river 'bed' and then covering it with the silicone sealant to work best. Not ideal in cramped locations due to the odour though!

Madness...

I love it... :-)

Novel idea but real water and electricity? It will eventually go green and provide fungus. Unfortunately at 4mm scale real running water has the wrong texture and viscosity so won't look like a real stream or river. The stream/river bed would need to a made of a really waterproof material that is also UV proof. If using a circulation pump the water would need to go through a filtering system. I think products such as woodlands scenic would create a far more realistic visual effect even though it is static. Don't mean to dappen your enthusiasm for a novel idea but that's just my tuppence.

Do you mean one with genuinely flowing water? I saw a N gauge layout a couple of years ago with an actual flowing river in it and, to be honest, it looked less real than a good static 'river' would.

Broithe, I don’t think I would use real water for the reasons described by Noel but thank you for your input.TDR

Edited by The Derry Road

Barl have you the number of the railway Modeller you got the idea from or can you show some pictures.TDR

We've used woodland scenics realistic water to create a steady lake, (ill grab some pics tomorrow) but woodland scenics also do realistic water effects and it is used to create ripples and such, here's a video, I did have another one but I can't find it now lol.

[video=youtube_share;Heq3varRv_Q]

I think Glenderg and Dunluce castle, hit exactly on what I’m seeking to create. TDR

Broithe, I don’t think I would use real water for the reasons described by Noel but thank you for your input.TDR

Phew!

You had me worried there - it just doesn't really work. For physical reasons, you just can't "scale down" the flow. Surface tension, gravity, Reynold's Number, etc, all conspire against you.

In the same way that a load swinging on a crane will always be too fast at 1/76 scale, because it's swinging in 'real world' gravity.

I have seen canal boats magnetically drawn whilst floating in real water on Gauge 1 layouts, and that did look OK.

Barl have you the number of the railway Modeller you got the idea from or can you show some pictures.TDR

Hi TDR, its been years since I read it so sorry can't remember the number but I do remember there was a seaside scene in the front cover. There's a few pics which show the river on my layout thread which may be of use;

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/1043-Barls-Layout

As promised here's the pics of the exhibition layout water feature, maybe not what your looking for but it's just 2 layers of woodland scenics realistic water.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18747[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18748[/ATTACH]

Nelson thank you for the pictures. Yes, something similar only wider and slightly deeper effect. There is a waterfall behind the viaduct, left hand side leading from the back scene, so a mixture of your river and that one in the woodland scenic video. Many thanks TDR

Having watched the videos posted several times in response to my request I've decided to go with the woodland scenics method. The necessary components have been ordered and awaiting delivery. Will put up pictures of the progress in my layout thread. Many thanks to all contributors whom offered advice. TDR