Broad Gauge.

Rate this topic

Broithe

I found a stack of sleepers today in Shropshire....

AJUXuKH.jpg

...I had no means of measuring them, but they were way over even 5' 3" - I presume they were Mr Brunel's 7' ¼".

There can't be too many of them left lying around - or too much call for them, I suppose.

How fast would trains be running now, if only people had listened to him?

Was anything marked on the chairs?

Maybe leftovers from a broad gauge new build/replica project? Chairs are very close to the sleeper ends.

Thought maybe some BG sleepers might have survived incorporated into buildings or holding up signs and things, but not out in the open with chairs still bolted to them?

http://www.broadgauge.co.uk/library/images/locations/torquay_station/torquay_station_01_large.jpg

Edited by minister_for_hardship

AJUXuKH.jpg

...I had no means of measuring them, but they were way over even 5' 3" - I presume they were Mr Brunel's 7=))=))' ¼".

There can't be too many of them left lying around - or too much call for them, I suppose.

Broithe, you could have walked heal to toe & maybe got some kind of measurement, now go back to Shopshire & measure them :cheers:=))

AJUXuKH.jpg

...I had no means of measuring them, but they were way over even 5' 3" - I presume they were Mr Brunel's 7 ¼".

Broithe, you could have walked heal to toe & maybe got some kind of measurement, now go back to Shopshire & measure them =))=))

Edited by burnthebox

IIRC most of it was bridge section rail, spiked onto longitudinal baulks. Towards the end it looks like they went for something more modern; bullhead rail, cross ties and chairs.

The galv bolts look modern-ish.

Most, but not all.

GWR_broad_gauge_locomotives.jpg

It certainly looked more modern than a hundred years old, but the rails would have been well over six feet apart, I would say.

As the minister has said, the pallet lying underneath would stem from the early 60's, which may give a clue to a date

Mmm, the pallet may or may not be related to the sleepers, maybe it was just an attempt to avoid them being in direct contact with the soil without the benefit of ballast drainage - the "StreetView" pictures would suggest that they may have arrived in the last few years - possibly together, possibly not.