Ncc dcc sound chip

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

24 answers to this question

Howes of Oxford do a sound decoder for the LMS/BR Jinty 3F 0-6-0T locomotive, which of course is exactly what the Bachmann NCC loco is.

https://www.howesmodels.co.uk/product/LMS/BR%20Jinty%200-6-0T%20MICRO%20sound%20decoder%20(8M)

Even though an ESU decoder, this well exceeds the value of the locomotive itself at Stg117,50. Where's the speaker? Is it all in one or you need to purchase that in addition

Hi all, anyone on here know if there's a sound chip available for the NCC loco, thanks in advance

Just a thought. If investing in DCC 'steam' sound might it work more reliably in a longer wheel base loco with more axils and more power pickups? (i.e. pick ups on bogies and tender instead of just 0-6-0) Also a tender loco may be able to house a larger speaker.

I wonder how reliable sound might be on an 0-6-0 loco with limited pickups when travelling over points at low speed, unless of course the decoder has a keep-a-live module and capacitor but that all needs more space (i.e. speaker + decoder + capacitor).

Just a thought. If investing in DCC 'steam' sound might it work more reliably in a longer wheel base loco with more axils and more power pickups? (i.e. pick ups on bogies and tender instead of just 0-6-0) Also a tender loco may be able to house a larger speaker.

I wonder how reliable sound might be on an 0-6-0 loco with limited pickups when travelling over points at low speed, unless of course the decoder has a keep-a-live module and capacitor but that all needs more space (i.e. speaker + decoder + capacitor).

I think BTB was enquiring about fitting a sound decoder specifically to a Jinty, and not about steam sound generally. I would agree about more pickups and bigger speaker with a tender engine, but a Jinty would look kind of strange with a tender, even though the UTA did experiment with a Jeep fitted with a Fowler type tender for working Belfast-Dublin services.

South West Digital also do a sound decoder for the Jinty, a little cheaper than Howes. ESU sound decoders do come complete with a speaker, although it would be a generic speaker and may not fit into the loco the decoder was purchased for.

Retro fitting sound to 0-6-0 tank locos can be quite tight for space. There are a few factory fitted sound on 0-6-0 models. One might think having electrofrog points or keep-a-live DCC module necessary to get smooth running. If a sound loco experiences short power loss, the sound can trip out until switched back on by function key.

PS: I wasn't advocating use of a tender with the Jinty. :)

Morning Noel & guys, I won't say I thought of that, but as I have 2 0-6-0 loco's that are DCC, I'm going to give one of them a try, not just yet though, it may have to be on the dining room table, & yes I know that's not perfect but I might get some idea as to the logic !! in continuing to do this, I do remember reading an article some years ago where a guy had a DCC loco, 0-6-0 connected to a wagon which had the speaker installed inside, that may be the way I'll have to go, time will tell, thanks again,

Paul

Retro fitting sound to 0-6-0 tank locos can be quite tight for space. There are a few factory fitted sound on 0-6-0 models. One might think having electrofrog points or keep-a-live DCC module necessary to get smooth running. If a sound loco experiences short power loss, the sound can trip out until switched back on by function key.

It was a tongue in cheek remark about the Jinty and tender. Due to lack of space, a keep-a-live module would be difficult to fit without serious modification to the loco, and/or losing ballast weight.

If going DCC with a small tank engine then it is vital that track and wheels are kept spotlessly clean. Also, pickups should be kept clear of any fluff or other deposits, and should be making contact with the wheels at all times. Points should be live frog if possible.

I have to say that I have not cone across any factory fitted sound in Jintys, although some retailers do offer a fitting service.

I had a look at my own NCC Jinty, to which I fitted a non-sound decoder some time ago, and there seems to be a couple of options for fitting a sound system to it. Firstly, in the smokebox is a metal weight with space above it for a decoder, which is where I put my decoder. By removing part of this weight it would be possible to fit a round speaker not exceeding 15mm diameter facing backwards, with the decoder behind it above the what is left of the weight. By sealing the speaker in with blu-tac, or similar, the smokebox would then become a sound chamber.

Option two fits in with the 'two foot rule'. If you can't see it from two feet away, then that is fine. This involves fitting a rectangular speaker and sound box, not exceeding 29mm X 15mm into the cab, facing upwards. The shallower the soundbox, then the less obtrusive the speaker would be. Covering the speaker with some sort of black mesh would hide it even more. The only modification needed to the loco, would be to remove the reversing lever from the floor, and possibly some raised detail from the lower front of the cab. The decoder would have to be a Micro size, as a standard size decoder would not fit anywhere.

Option three, of course, is the permanently coupled wagon, housing the speaker.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Loksounds can be fitted with a keep-alive module.

Have to be honest, I'd be very reluctant to fit a sound chip to a 0-6-0 loco without either keep-alive or extra pickups. I would install pickups on a coach or brakevan and have it permanently coupled to the loco.

Either way, as Dhu Varren says, space is tight in those Jintys.

Edited by irishthump

Even though an ESU decoder, this well exceeds the value of the locomotive itself at Stg117,50. Where's the speaker? Is it all in one or you need to purchase that in addition

Bloody hell! That's about €165 at the current exchange rate. Another option if you plane to install sound in more then one loco might be to buy blank decoders (they can be got for €99 each with free delivery from Modellbahn Lippe) and get them "re-blown" with the required sound.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Loksounds can be fitted with a keep-alive module.

Have to be honest, I'd be very reluctant to fit a sound chip to a 0-6-0 loco without either keep-alive or extra pickups. I would install pickups on a coach or brakevan and have it permanently coupled to the loco.

Either way, as Dhu Varren says, space is tight in those Jintys.

Loksound decoders can be fitted with a keep-alive module, http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/locomotive-decoders/small/54670-esu-powerpack.aspx but it would never fit in a Jinty, unless it was not sound fitted.

Loksound decoders can be fitted with a keep-alive module, http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/locomotive-decoders/small/54670-esu-powerpack.aspx but it would never fit in a Jinty, unless it was not sound fitted.

I stand corrected!

I had recently read an interview with Matt Herman from ESU and he was describing how fitting stay-alive to the V4 was "problematic". I guess they've solved the problem, good news!

Many thanks guys, following on what DV said, I just of this, nobody has said anything about the coal bunker, would that not be another option,

I already thought about the coal bunker, but I am afraid it is not an option. There is not enough depth without cutting into the chassis, plus it is not very wide. Personally, when I eventually get around to it, I am going to go for the speaker in the cab.

Slightly aside from the Jinty sound issues, anyone know anything about MM sound decoders, which are available for the 071, thanks guys,

What do you want to know? I don't think they would sound right in a Jinty.... :D

Edited by irishthump

Sorry about that it, should have said what's the difference in the decoders in the MM as compared to ESU, etc. is the quality better or what, thanks,

Paul

I believe that the MM decoders are in fact ESU decoders, as there are sound programs on the ESU website available for download, for MM 071s and 201s.

Sorry about that it, should have said what's the difference in the decoders in the MM as compared to ESU, etc. is the quality better or what, thanks,

Paul

No problem!

The MM sound decoders are regular ESU Loksound V4's.

As Dhu Varren said the files are freely available on the ESU website for the 071's and 201's. These can be programmed to the decoders if you have the ESU lokprogrammer.

All of my 201, 071 and 141/181 decoders have been programmed this way.

Edited by irishthump

Thanks IT, so is it a sound chip, sound decoder, or sound card that go's into the loco, or are they all the same thing, just different names for the same thing, & yes I haven't got a clue about these things, thanks

Paul

Yes there are several names for it, decoder chip, sound card. They're all valid!

32-231A.jpg

To answer my own question, after backing a page or so on their site, it appears that the micro decoders do come with a speaker ….. but still expensive

Edited by DiveController