Cheap trucks from Tesco

Rate this topic

Dhu Varren

Tesco do a couple of cheap trucks which are ideal for tarting up, or converting to something better. The are the right size for 00, and sell for £2.00 in the UK, or E2.99 in ROI. There are two trucks, the first a Mercedes tractor unit having a 40ft articulated box trailer, and the second a MAN tractor unit with a 40ft tank trailer. There have been two versions of the tank trailer, the first being in Tesco Fuel livery, the second, and current version being in Momentum Fuel livery. The livery detail on each truck is on self adhesive stickers, and is easily removed, leaving a good surface for replacement decals. I have a number of these vehicles waiting to be dealt with, with one livery change shown below. The wheels are not ideal, but could be changed for something better, or toned down a bit with less garish paint. I have done the wheels on the Shell tank with silver paint, but even that is not ideal.

IMG_2404.JPG

Tesco Tanker.jpg

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

The Shell tank has decals produced on a PC and printed on decal paper. The tractor unit has Hoyer decals, again printed on a PC, Hoyer being the distribution company for Shell in the UK.

IMG_2405.JPG

They are certainly not 1/87, they are bigger than that. On the basis that the box trailer is as near as damn it, a scale 40ft, they are as near 1/76 as you are going to get.

Fair enough.

There's people flogging them on eBay for eight quid and three quid postage - unboxed..!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I picked up a few Tesco trucks last week

Just to clarify on the scale as the discussion was never resolved- these are cheap and great on a layout if you keep them away from OO stuff as they are more akin to HO

Some shots up against a Oxford Daf and 40' container! (keep in mind I have always suspected Oxford are at 1:74 or 1:72!!)

TescoT-00 IMAG1908.jpg

TescoT-01 IMAG1910.jpg

TescoT-01 IMAG1912.jpg

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

Hi

I picked up a few Tesco trucks last week

Just to clarify on the scale as the discussion was never resolved- these are cheap and great on a layout if you keep them away from OO stuff as they are more akin to HO

Some shots up against a Oxford Daf and 40' container! (keep in mind I have always suspected Oxford are at 1:74 or 1:72!!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21762[/ATTACH]

I would have to agree that the scale of the Oxford truck is a bit suspect.

The box trailer of the Tesco truck measures 156mm, which equates to 39ft in OO. This would make the Tesco truck just a tad under 1/76 scale. In HO a 40ft container would measure 140mm. In comparison, the Oxford 40ft container in the picture is significantly longer than the Tesco trailer, which would make it a much larger scale. My calculations work it out to be about 43ft in OO, making it a good bit larger than 1/76 scale.