Narrow Gauge

Rate this question

tonybonneyba

Question

On the new layout that I will be building a narrow Guage bit & hope to have part of it integrated in the main line (to allow the locos to go to the locomotives shed). The 00 gauge track will act as 5ft 3 inches, so what Guage of track will act as 3ft? HOm? 00-9? Where can I get such track?

Help would be much appreciated, anything that does will will be shown in " :D Anthony's Workshop ".

Thanks,

Tony.

Tony,

I had debated doing a narrow/broad gauge set up at one point and came to the conclusion that 009 and 00 gauge would be the best option. I even went out and got a T&D 3rd brass kit (no idea how to put together - poor soldering skills!) there are UK narrow gauge 009 locos such as the WHHR Russell that is a hunslet very like 5T, and several freelance similar "Hunslety" locos.......I think it was Mayner that suggested using a T&D backwoods body and using a Bemo chassis use side skirts (prototypical 1890's) to hide the chassis to make the layout easier.

The company that has taken over Chivers i think is called Fivelines, they do an awesome T&D loco kit to retro fit a 00 gauge V1/V2 bachmann chassis.....the only disadvantage is that its 7mm narrow gauge and rolling stock would be more difficult to procure

The 00n3 is more in scale. An Isle of Man 2.4.0T could be painted NCC maroon and there are various coach kits which would approximate to original (straight sided) Ballymena & Larne stock, if a layout based on the NCC was planned.

If you go for 009, there are a number of locos which, if painted grey, would look broadly CIE-ish.

Tony,

I had debated doing a narrow/broad gauge set up at one point and came to the conclusion that 009 and 00 gauge would be the best option.

Modelling in 3mm (TT) on OO9 and OO would be a better option than OO9& OO to keep the scale/gauge proportions right. But would need a greater level of skill in loco and stock building compared to OOn3 or 21mm gauge. The other issue is that the track and stock would be to different scales

At least one modeller has modelled the County Donegal in 3mm scale (TT) on N Gauge track scratch building railcars and rolling stock in plasticard on N gauge chassis.

The main problem with OO9 for the Irish 3' gauge is that you would have to scratch build a chassis. The Irish 3' gauge locos and stock were much more massive than the British 2'-2'6" narrow gauge, the Welshpool & Llanfair was probably closest to an Irish narrow gauge line, but the Earl & the Countess quite unlike anything that ran in Ireland

Scale and gauge does not really seem to be an issue with Tonyboley's planned layout as the narrow gauge appears to be freelance modern image.