Drogheda MacBride Station and Depot layout build

Rate this topic

heustonconnolly

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22022[/ATTACH

These drawings are not to scale so when it is finished the station and Depot will probably look bigger than in my drawings. I have yet to do it to scale.

The boyne viaduct is included in the layout, I will start work in a few weeks and hopefully it will be finished within a year, well I suppose it will never be totally finished as I will always be adding to it!!! I will take any tips ye have!

Just to clarify this is a rough sketch of something I would like, its not to scale or anything as I wasn't thinking about that I was am just trying to get my ideas across, I hope to have a scale plan in a few days or so!

DSC_0285.jpg

Edited by heustonconnolly

Looks like a great set-up. The GNR main line is particularly interesting with ex-GNR stuff, CIE and UTA (or NIR). Navan branch Taras, Kingscourt gypsum would add to it...

Ya, thats a great idea about the navan branch, I think I will try to in corporate it into the design, I hope to finish the baseboards next week and start laying the track, I will definitely try to incorporate the navan branch

On that basis, it might be worth making the station platforms a bit bigger, and the curves less sharp, even at the expense of moving the depot sidings out towards the Dublin direction even if that's not strictly prototypical. This would also leave too for a "Navan branch" to disappear behind the down platform, and possibly down to a lower level storage road, from where another line "up the hill" could join the main line further down as a cement factory line coming in.

DSC_0286.jpg

As I said the drawing is a sketch so the platforms would be longer and less Sharpe, I will definitely incorporate the navan branch and the cement factory line, I will have them falling away to a different level behind the platform and emerging as the cement factory line,that was a great idea,anyway this is the first rough sketch of the viaductl

If the whole layout is 10x8 , the station looks way undersized. I suggest you try laying out the station on one of the PC based layout programs like any rail , scram , trax3 etc. This will force realistic size into the track diagram.

Dave

Hi dave

That drawing was only a rough sketch of something similar to what I want, the station will be way bigger in the finished product, I can see where you are coming from though,I plan to do the platform sizes in cad to make them 3-d then I can do a scale computer based drawing do yo know what materials I should use in the bridge

The layout will be 10ft long by 8f wide

Seems to me you will need to do a scale drawing [as opposed to your original sketch, as the curves will take up far more room than you think. In 00 scale, I wouldn't go under 24" radius from a visual and operating point of view, though I guess you could get away with 18" radius if you don't mind seeing your trains going round right angled bends. However, even 18" curves means your straight sections will be down to little more than 6' and 4', while remember that even small radius points will be 6" long. In addition, putting platforms on an 18" radius, 90 degree curve will mean clearances between coaches an platform edges will be cavernous.

My suggestion would be to make most of the layout curved [ie no real straight sections], with the tightest radii hidden in cutting/tunnel and platforms on the gentlest radii.

Putting the station almost on a diagonal will increase the length available & because you are only indicating scenery on the other boards, you can afford to make these fairly deep as you will not be reaching over to uncouple. As JHB has said, consider a second level too. Cyril Freezer's booklets [Peco] contain a wealth of ideas, plus there is a series running on double deck layouts in Railway modeller at the moment.

Its quite a challenge to fit a large main line station into a 10X8. The central operating well and baseboards around the walls with separate scenes with the viaduct, station and coastal scenery is a good idea and help make the layout feel larger than I actually is.

It would be worthwhile to add a loop or loops on either side of the main line on the coastal scenic section on the opposite side to the viaduct, this would give you storage space for another couple of trains and add to the operating interest with say the Enterprise overaking a Tara Mines or a suburban train.

It might be better to omit the depot buildings as they would block out the view of the station from the operating well and make it difficult to reach the platform lines. Before the Depot was built it was used as a depot for locos used on cement and Tara Mines trains & a maintenance area for bubble cement and gypsum hoppers.

It would be very difficult to fit in a workable Navan Branch, but it would be easy enough to add in the cement factory branch into the operating well on the Northern side of the viaduct as a destination for freight trains

Seems to me you will need to do a scale drawing [as opposed to your original sketch, as the curves will take up far more room than you think. In 00 scale, I wouldn't go under 24" radius from a visual and operating point of view, though I guess you could get away with 18" radius if you don't mind seeing your trains going round right angled bends. However, even 18" curves means your straight sections will be down to little more than 6' and 4', while remember that even small radius points will be 6" long. In addition, putting platforms on an 18" radius, 90 degree curve will mean clearances between coaches an platform edges will be cavernous.

My suggestion would be to make most of the layout curved [ie no real straight sections], with the tightest radii hidden in cutting/tunnel and platforms on the gentlest radii.

Putting the station almost on a diagonal will increase the length available & because you are only indicating scenery on the other boards, you can afford to make these fairly deep as you will not be reaching over to uncouple. As JHB has said, consider a second level too. Cyril Freezer's booklets [Peco] contain a wealth of ideas, plus there is a series running on double deck layouts in Railway modeller at the moment.

Thanks for the advice David, the base board is nearly finished though!

Its quite a challenge to fit a large main line station into a 10X8. The central operating well and baseboards around the walls with separate scenes with the viaduct, station and coastal scenery is a good idea and help make the layout feel larger than I actually is.

It would be worthwhile to add a loop or loops on either side of the main line on the coastal scenic section on the opposite side to the viaduct, this would give you storage space for another couple of trains and add to the operating interest with say the Enterprise overaking a Tara Mines or a suburban train.

It might be better to omit the depot buildings as they would block out the view of the station from the operating well and make it difficult to reach the platform lines. Before the Depot was built it was used as a depot for locos used on cement and Tara Mines trains & a maintenance area for bubble cement and gypsum hoppers.

It would be very difficult to fit in a workable Navan Branch, but it would be easy enough to add in the cement factory branch into the operating well on the Northern side of the viaduct as a destination for freight trains

It is a good idea to add the loop, I will add that in, I might leave out the depot but leave the yard, but I do like the depot

I'd echo what David Holman has said in its entirety, in particular the concept of fitting the diagonal. If you infill one of the corners you'll have a super slow radius, ala the real thing, and effectively the station can take up a space of 8 x 6 in one fell swoop. It's actually an inspired idea, and I wouldn't bother me browner filling in the rear roundy roundy bit until you have the time and energy to finish it. Your main priority should be the station it seems. I'll try and sketch something out as soon as.

I'd echo what David Holman has said in its entirety, in particular the concept of fitting the diagonal. If you infill one of the corners you'll have a super slow radius, ala the real thing, and effectively the station can take up a space of 8 x 6 in one fell swoop. It's actually an inspired idea, and I wouldn't bother me browner filling in the rear roundy roundy bit until you have the time and energy to finish it. Your main priority should be the station it seems. I'll try and sketch something out as soon as.

Thanks alot for taking your time to sketch out your idea, it doesn't have to be to scale or anything, just to get the idea across, but ya I agree with those points!

Some additional photos of the bridge for you

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=images&county=LH&regno=13620012

Thanks alot for taking your time to sketch out your idea, it doesn't have to be to scale or anything, just to get the idea across, but ya I agree with those points!

I'd take some time to find a workable plan as you may have regrets during the build or after

Edited by DiveController

Thanks for the advice David, the base board is nearly finished though!

If you don't mind , how can u construct baseboards before you have a scale drawing

Note I'd be very cautious about multiple levels in 10 by 8. Gradients need to be at very least 1:50 and preferably 1:75 - 1:100. Even at 1:50 you will need 3.5 metres to get 70 mm clearance ( in my case I'm splitting the gradients over both lines, ie one will go down as the other rises )

I would also suggest changing the plan to use 30" minimum radius curves and points or above as a minimum. This will allow better couplings if you so wish and the train formations ,especially with longer modern carriages will look far better.

I wouldn't touch timber until you have a worked up scale drawing of all the key components. Trying to fit a design to a baseboard is a terrible situation compared to the other way round.

By the way why make the wall sections so thin ? They look about 1'6" , but I could be wrong as u say the plan isn't scaled

Since you have so much scenic area , perhaps you could build skeleton baseboards and allow the " countryside" to rise and fall along the distance, I always find layouts where everything is either level or above the rail datum to be very un-prototypical and easily fixed, if building your own baseboards

Ps. I'd remove most of the straight track and use nice undulating flexi , the prototype rarely had straight anything , it also lets the track move through the countryside , type of thing. Also if you can try and incorporate transition curves into your design, have a look at Templot , if you feel up to it. It can be configured to emulate PECO and is the only layout designer which I would absolutely believe in regards dimension. It's unfortunately a very steep learning curve however , but you can use it for bits and pieces like laying out transition curves etc, rather then the whole layout

Dave

Edited by Junctionmad

If you don't mind , how can u construct baseboards before you have a scale drawing

Note I'd be very cautious about multiple levels in 10 by 8. Gradients need to be at very least 1:50 and preferably 1:75 - 1:100. Even at 1:50 you will need 3.5 metres to get 70 mm clearance ( in my case I'm splitting the gradients over both lines, ie one will go down as the other rises )

I would also suggest changing the plan to use 30" minimum radius curves and points or above as a minimum. This will allow better couplings if you so wish and the train formations ,especially with longer modern carriages will look far better.

I wouldn't touch timber until you have a worked up scale drawing of all the key components. Trying to fit a design to a baseboard is a terrible situation compared to the other way round.

By the way why make the wall sections so thin ? They look about 1'6" , but I could be wrong as u say the plan isn't scaled

Since you have so much scenic area , perhaps you could build skeleton baseboards and allow the " countryside" to rise and fall along the distance, I always find layouts where everything is either level or above the rail datum to be very un-prototypical and easily fixed, if building your own baseboards

Ps. I'd remove most of the straight track and use nice undulating flexi , the prototype rarely had straight anything , it also lets the track move through the countryside , type of thing. Also if you can try and incorporate transition curves into your design, have a look at Templot , if you feel up to it. It can be configured to emulate PECO and is the only layout designer which I would absolutely believe in regards dimension. It's unfortunately a very steep learning curve however , but you can use it for bits and pieces like laying out transition curves etc, rather then the whole layout

Dave

Hi David

You see I already had a layout, but I didn't really like the look of it as it wasn't actually based on any realistic station, so I basically took all the scenery, track,building ect of and riped up the ballast ect, so essentially all I have is a baseboard,.

I kbow trying to make the layout fit the baseboard it hard, the only change I made to the baseboard is the space for the viaduct.

I will definitely have a scale plan in a few days

Oya, the width of the sections is 2ft

Thanks for the advice

Looks a great deal better, but where does the Navan branch drop to.... Is there a (long) section "south" of that plan? If so, no need to drop a level. My initial idea was - space permitting - a drop under existing tracks, on account of my perception that this was all the available space.

Should this not be the case,the short siding you gave there could at least receive and despatch Tara trains from the storage siding there, as if they had come down from Navan. Room for more wagons if you curved that during behind the passenger station; non prototypical, I know, but operational artistic licence.

On the left side, a parallel siding to represent the cement branch would be feasible. Both of these features would add a lot to an already very interesting concept.

You need much more room for it to drop and if you planned some storage that would probably be under the station itself (you'd need the length of a train, plus a headhunt AND enough length to get under the main lines (see post above re gradients since the train has to climb back up to re-enter the layout). You'd want the branch to come off at least on the corner opposite the station in my mind

Edited by DiveController

Ah, maybe I wasn't clear, heustonconnolly, I didn't mean cross it over the Boyne. I meant stick in a set of points north of the river, as prototype on the level. You're right, that would look odd at best.

Regarding the Navan branch, I wasn't clear where it would go after it reached (as on the plan) the extreme bottom right corner.

It's getting into shape anyway. Your latest plan looks a lot better, but (as I'm finding right now with a thing of my own), proper scale drawings will answer many questions.

• 2 weeks later...