Waterford Plunkett station yard

Rate this topic

Hi all,

here's some photos I took a few months back, in and around Waterford train station. I cant recall seeing such a selection of locos and stock in Waterford all at once... 079, a pair of 201s, Timber flats, container flats, Autoballasters and of course the retired Mk3 coaches. Enjoy:)

Waterford Plunket Stn. (28)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (25)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (23)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (20)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (18)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (17)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (15)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (12)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (10)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (9)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (8)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (7)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (5)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (4)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (44)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (28)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (25)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (23)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (20)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (18)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (17)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (15)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (12)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (10)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (9)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (8)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (7)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (5)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (4)_sm.jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (44)_sm.jpg

:-bd Shikansen, is there any chance you'd have a higher res shot of the second last one? Brilliant and sad at the same time. I have a desktop slideshow type background, and I'd love to have that shot in it?

Cheers.

R.

Edited by Glenderg

:-bd Shikansen, is there any chance you'd have a higher res shot of the second last one? Brilliant and sad at the same time. I have a desktop slideshow type background, and I'd love to have that shot in it?

Cheers.

R.

Richie I have it organised to pay a visit to Waterford West next week and I will take as many shots of that MK111 rake as I can.

Rich,

Tom great pics and thanks for sharing them :-bd. I was travelling by train that day and I remember saying to myself how great the Autoballasters looked as it was the first time I had seen them up close, now that I think of it may have mentioned it in one of the Autoballaster model threads. 234 must have only been out of the paint shop a few days as she looked very clean.

Rich,

Shinkensen

Nice model, realistic weathering, love the old ferry, how did you do the water? :tumbsup:

Very special place I used to travel down on weekends in the early 2000s to chase the beet trains, one day I arrived just after they had finished unloding the last timber train.

Originally the main line ran through the area where the Auto-ballasters & MK3s are parked with extensive siding on both side of the main running lines. The present laayout dates from when the yrd was re-modelled in the 1970s

John

I think you could be right there Rich but just take a look at how quickly the bogies have gathered dirt in the 1st pic

That's very true Anto, a couple of days out working and they start to pick up road dirt. I think I might purchase another Inter City liveried 201 and re-number her to 234, and just give her a very light weathering.

Rich,

Hi Glenderg,

ask and ye shall recieve. I picked up a few nice shots that evening, 18th of March this year. The light was fading but there was a whole heap of interesting stuff sitting in the railway yard across the other side of the river so couldnt resist:-) The shot looks up river towards the new bridge, taken from Bilberry. The boatyard in the left hand side used to have plenty more bigger and rustier vessels in it. The ferry is kinda cool, not sure if it's got anything to do with the Ferry company operating futher down stream on the Suir.

The original photo is about 4Mb in size! let me know how you get on with this one (about 500 kb) and if it doesnt work out I can email you on the full size. My tinternet is kinda slow for uploading big photos Im afraid.

Cheers Tom

Waterford Plunket Stn. (25).jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (25).jpg

Shinkensen

Nice model, realistic weathering, love the old ferry, how did you do the water? :tumbsup:

Very special place I used to travel down on weekends in the early 2000s to chase the beet trains, one day I arrived just after they had finished unloding the last timber train.

Originally the main line ran through the area where the Auto-ballasters & MK3s are parked with extensive siding on both side of the main running lines. The present laayout dates from when the yrd was re-modelled in the 1970s

John

Hi Mayner,

I can't take the credit for that beauty, but it does look great doesnt it :) Strange thing is, I used to work across the river in the Iron foundry back in the early 2000s. Had a great vantage point to take in the comings and goings at Plunkett station. But alas it was long before the Railway modelling bug took hold! I do remember the morning service from Kilkenny 'backing' in to Plunkett station. The auld fellas at Stanley used joke about this (mostly Kilkenny men!), the train would drive to Killkenny but it would back into Waterford they would say!

Not sure if it was a shunting move, or the train was operating a push pull setup. Then again Killkenny is a terminus/ not a through station... maybe it was actually backing?

If you're ever back in the area, its worth checking out the 'old' railway bridge furthur up river. It's an ancient structure and quiet a contrast to the new suspension roadbridge alongside. Cheers

Tom

That's very true Anto, a couple of days out working and they start to pick up road dirt. I think I might purchase another Inter City liveried 201 and re-number her to 234, and just give her a very light weathering.

Rich,

Mmmmm Shiny! But for how long? Not too often you see these so fresh looking. And I have to say it looks well with the rake of Autoballasters in tow. In regards to renumbering. Is there a decal sheet available to renumber and renameplate the 201's? Anybody here have a crack at it? Rich I'd be very interested to know how ya get on with that:tumbsup:

Waterford Plunket Stn. (44).jpg

Waterford Plunket Stn. (44).jpg

Hi Mayner,

I can't take the credit for that beauty, but it does look great doesnt it :) Strange thing is, I used to work across the river in the Iron foundry back in the early 2000s. Had a great vantage point to take in the comings and goings at Plunkett station. But alas it was long before the Railway modelling bug took hold! I do remember the morning service from Kilkenny 'backing' in to Plunkett station. The auld fellas at Stanley used joke about this (mostly Kilkenny men!), the train would drive to Killkenny but it would back into Waterford they would say!

Not sure if it was a shunting move, or the train was operating a push pull setup. Then again Killkenny is a terminus/ not a through station... maybe it was actually backing?

If you're ever back in the area, its worth checking out the 'old' railway bridge furthur up river. It's an ancient structure and quiet a contrast to the new suspension roadbridge alongside. Cheers

Tom

Ah the old Red Iron Bridge as it is affectionately known as in Waterford. One of the spans is sitting just beyond the cabin at Waterford West. The swinging part of the Bridge is in Africa I think. It is a copy of the Barrow Bridge but not as long.

Waterford South Station was located very close to where the Stanley foundry was, it was closed in 1908. Now the foundry is no more as it was pulled down a few years ago. I had family and friends that worked in the foundry and the stories they could tell you.

Rich,

Yeah I was surprised to see the foundry site levelled. It wasn't a bad place to work in either, twas the people that made it. I was lucky to be there when it was still a working foundry. It was all very interesting indeed... seeing moulten metal being formed in sand casts, pattern makers creating moulds etc... like something from another age!

Ah yes the red Iron bridge... had forgotten the name. Been a few years since I was living in the city. Didn't know there was another station on this side of the river, but I guess it makes sense (Railway square). Long since lost to history.

Another thing.... I'm sure I have some photos of Barrow Bridge around here too. Will stick em up when I find them :cool:

Tom.

Yeah I was surprised to see the foundry site levelled. It wasn't a bad place to work in either, twas the people that made it. I was lucky to be there when it was still a working foundry. It was all very interesting indeed... seeing moulten metal being formed in sand casts, pattern makers creating moulds etc... like something from another age!

Ah yes the red Iron bridge... had forgotten the name. Been a few years since I was living in the city. Didn't know there was another station on this side of the river, but I guess it makes sense (Railway square). Long since lost to history.

Another thing.... I'm sure I have some photos of Barrow Bridge around here too. Will stick em up when I find them :cool:

Tom.

I use Barrow Bridge as my avatar Tom. The pic was taken from the mother in laws barbecue area in the garden. Had a lovely view of the tall ships last year. Raytex had a railway siding many years ago if I remember correctly.

Rich,

Ah so it is... hard to tell cos those avatar pics are so small. Nice spot for a BBQ alright. It was probably the best weather we had all of last year too if I recall. Was down in Dunmore East for it myself, looking across at Hook Head.

I think the forum needs an Infrastructure thread, what do you reckon? Locos, freight, coaching stock, stations etc... get a good look in. But somewhere for pics of Viaducts, over bridges and the like would be a good idea. More viaducts in layouts would be cool too (something i'd like in my own when it's built!!!). Will get the finger out and see what I have on the computer:cool:

Tom