Problems with Halfords etch primer

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

I'm at the stage of priming my brass etch ballast plough ( SsM ) but I find the grey etch primer very tricky to use , as it's difficult to stop too much paint going on and it cakes. I've already had to strip it off once ( and re do the plastikard detail grrr)

Painting is always where I struggle.

Any hints or tips on using this stuff.

14 answers to this question

Maybe try warming the can (a little bit!) and spraying from slightly further away - practice on some unimportant things..?

Definitely. Have the can at room temperature and shake well. Ideally spray indoors in the utility room away from the sprogs (as versus the cold and damp man-shed).

Secondly lots of light passes at 18 inches will ensure a nice even coat.

Cold weather really isn't good for aerosol paint! The cold actually affects the pressure inside the can resulting in the paint clumping when you're spraying it.

Try storing your spray cans indoors for a few days, it makes a big difference. If there's any chance you could spray paint indoors then that would be the best option, otherwise you need to wait for warmer weather. This is reason that many modellers (including myself) prefer to spray the primer into another container then apply it to the model with an airbrush.

*Sorry Weshty, you beat me to it!

Cold weather really isn't good for aerosol paint! The cold actually affects the pressure inside the can resulting in the paint clumping when you're spraying it.

Try storing your spray cans indoors for a few days, it makes a big difference. If there's any chance you could spray paint indoors then that would be the best option, otherwise you need to wait for warmer weather. This is reason that many modellers (including myself) prefer to spray the primer into another container then apply it to the model with an airbrush.

*Sorry Weshty, you beat me to it!

That's interesting , would you put Halfords etch primer then through a conventional airbrush ? , is there there a danger of everything drying inside the airbrush ?

My workshop is inside anyway so at house temps , I'll warm the primer in a bath of water

Don't worry , Broithe , I'm just going to use my blowlamp to heat the can up, see, everything is fin.............

That's interesting , would you put Halfords etch primer then through a conventional airbrush ? , is there there a danger of everything drying inside the airbrush ?.

No danger, as long as you clean it as soon as you're finished.

I had Halfords that was runny once, and no amount of techniques made it work. Awful cheap rubbish. I use this stuff - http://shop.thearmypainter.com/products.php?ProductGroupId=15 - available from Gamersworld on Jervis Street, and it's excellent, even on brass.

Thanks every one , Ive successfully reapplied the halfords, then I take a few close up photos, which shows areas to fill in and tidy up

pics coming soon, I want to compete it , and then publish all the photos etc

At this stage Ive be dead before I build a fleet of wagons , boys more RTRs needed

Thanks every one , Ive successfully reapplied the halfords, then I take a few close up photos, which shows areas to fill in and tidy up

pics coming soon, I want to compete it , and then publish all the photos etc

At this stage Ive be dead before I build a fleet of wagons , boys more RTRs needed

Post the photos now, see if anything needs doing

As far as I'm aware, etch primer is supposed to go on a little runny and look awful. It is then left to dry completely overnight, without touching it. The etch primer will then etch itself into the brass and give the desired finish. On the other hand other primers usually dry on the surface and don't grip to the material.

Another thing that you need to be aware of is that some etch primer can damage plastics, so always try on a test piece first.

I have been using Halfords spray cans for years without any issues whatsoever. Indeed, for whatever reason, find the nozzle on their cans to be superior to other makers such as Humbrol, Precision etc.

However, I only use their standard grey or orange primers, NOT the self etch ones. Grey is ideal for non fitted wagons and orange for fitted (ie bauxite).

I use the same methods as the others. Can at room temp, or on a towel on a radiator to warm up a bit and shake well of course.

Often do my basic spraying outdoors, even in winter - though not when it is raining! Have various bits of thick wire bent into hooks and hang a model from one in one hand and spray can in the other. Yes, even kit built locos.

Heresy I know, but works for me and of course there is extensive titivating done in the workshop after the paint has dried for 24 hours.