Fitting hand rails to a loco body

Rate this topic

irishrail201

Hi All,

A quick question, I have several T&D Chivers 009 model kits bodies assembled and would like to add handrails and knobs to add more detail to the loco.

I have Alan Gibson short knobs and brass wire, but very little experience as to how to go about it. I even have a small hand drill to cut a hole in the whitemetal body.

If anyone can assist let me know :)

Here is 5T seen overlooking Slea Head and the Blaskets, surely the furthest a T&D loco has gone!

IMG_7957.JPG

• Like 1

A pin chuck is probably the best tool for drilling whitemetal or brass for handrail knobs. Drilling whitemetal can be tricky Titanium coated drill bits are less likely to break than uncoated HSS.

The Expo Tools  a 0.3-1.6mm drill set contains a good range of sizes for work on 4mm locos and stock  https://www.expotools.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=titanium drill coated set&PN=20pc-HSS-Titanium-Coated-Twist-Drill-Set-11533.html#SID=109

• Like 1

just to add, the pin vice in Mayner's video is the best one to get as it has four separate chuck sizes to  cater for 0.4mm right up to 1.5mm drills.

Secondly, it has a swivel head that allows you to apply subtle and consistent pressure using the palm of your hand.

I state this as I bought a more basic one to avoid having to swap and change when doing multiple drillings and it is an utter dog by comparison.

Hi

Candle wax is the best, preferably paraffin wax type- if you run out of spit!

I keep a block of it on the bench (i've had it since I was about 9) and drill into it before drilling the hard stuff, its also deadly when used to lubricate the piercing saw....

also my experience with the Expo Drill Sets is not good, I found on the really small ones the factory grinding to the business end was hit n miss- but replacement bits from Expo are excellent.....

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2017 at 11:12 AM, Weshty said:

just to add, the pin vice in Mayner's video is the best one to get as it has four separate chuck sizes to  cater for 0.4mm right up to 1.5mm drills.

Secondly, it has a swivel head that allows you to apply subtle and consistent pressure using the palm of your hand.

I state this as I bought a more basic one to avoid having to swap and change when doing multiple drillings and it is an utter dog by comparison.

I have same basic one and put a large head drawing pin in the end and this allows a little pressure to be applied .

Robert