GREY LIVERIED IRISH LOCOS

Rate this topic

heirflick

55 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I will look for a pic if my grandfather's model (from about 1915).... it has genuine paint in it. I posted it here somewhere years ago.

The above isn't actually too bad, considering it's weathered; very very slightly lighter, maybe, but not much.

Happy new year to all here!

Go on ya good thing!.. and many Happy Returns!😉

Me on the Falling-Down Lotion now...

I found the pic below and decided to see to see if I could attach it the right way up on this new version of the website - in preparation to looking for the GSWR grey one....

Tis a scandal that not ONE main line loco has been preserved in working order today in Spain. Unless, hopefully, someone can correct me? There was one in the recent sat, but it's grounded now. Imagine this broad gauge yoke in full cry! Magnificent!

IMG_6025.JPG

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

Now that I've mastered the dark arts of uploading pictures on something that isn't steam-powered, the attached is ACTUAL GSWR / GSR / CIE loco grey. The model was made by HJA, i.e. Jhb171Snr.Snr., about 1915, not exactly sure when. It's "0" gauge coarse scale, and unpowered. He graduated from making this model to doing the draughtsman-work for the 800 class!

186, as presently seen at Whitehead, is in this livery, and apart from the fact that they've deliberately let the smokebox get "blacker", in a thoroughly misguided attempt to make it look "more normal", the shade is absolutely correct.

Lets hope they never repaint it black, as the RPSI had it some years ago - completely unauthentically.

For those interested in correct grey as seen under all three administrations 1915/8 - 1963, the attached should be of interest. I have deliberately shown the model both in full light and shadow. As you can see, the grey is in between wagon grey and extremely  dark grey.

IMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

I might add to the above that Seniorx2 took a small jamjar into work with him one day, went to the paint shop and filled it. Several locos were in for painting.

Senior recalled seeing, on a single occasion, a J15 sitting outside the paint shop at Inchicore with the paint hardly dry. Unusually, it was in noticeably lighter wagon grey all over. Probably a bit like an 071 today.

Once in use, it wouldn't have looked too pristine for very long!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Now that I've mastered the dark arts of uploading pictures on something that isn't steam-powered, the attached is ACTUAL GSWR / GSR / CIE loco grey. The model was made by HJA, i.e. Jhb171Snr.Snr., about 1915, not exactly sure when. It's "0" gauge coarse scale, and unpowered. He graduated from making this model to doing the draughtsman-work for the 800 class!

186, as presently seen at Whitehead, is in this livery, and apart from the fact that they've deliberately let the smokebox get "blacker", in a thoroughly misguided attempt to make it look "more normal", the shade is absolutely correct.

Lets hope they never repaint it black, as the RPSI had it some years ago - completely unauthentically.

For those interested in correct grey as seen under all three administrations 1915/8 - 1963, the attached should be of interest. I have deliberately shown the model both in full light and shadow. As you can see, the grey is in between wagon grey and extremely  dark grey.

IMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

I might add to the above that Seniorx2 took a small jamjar into work with him one day, went to the paint shop and filled it. Several locos were in for painting.

Senior recalled seeing, on a single occasion, a J15 sitting outside the paint shop at Inchicore with the paint hardly dry. Unusually, it was in noticeably lighter wagon grey all over. Probably a bit like an 071 today.

Once in use, it wouldn't have looked too pristine for very long!

Excellent Jhb -- that's the grey livery truly put to bet once and for all!  Many thanks for taking the time!=D

16 hours ago, popeye said:

Here are two pic's taken at RPSI Whitehead showing the grey livery.

186 a.JPG

186 b.JPG

Thats deadly Popeye - funny that different shades appear in both pics of that beauty!   thanks for posting :tumbsup: