Cork in a Stunting Layout

Rate this question

GNRi1959

Question

I'm about to lay 3mm cork under my track bed. On looking at pictures of the Goods Yard and sidings at Omagh, there is little ballast and the 'shoulder' of ballast around the yard and sidings have disappeared. If that is the case, would it be acceptable to lay cork across the entire baseboard area and save me the trouble of cutting cork either side of the sleeper line. The ballasting would form some shoulder - would it be enough?

See photo below......

GNR076.jpg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 2

9 answers to this question

In yards ballast shoulders rarely existed because the surface was relatively flat as per your photo above.  So either direct to baseboard, or lay the cork across the entire baseboard which has the advantage of taking track pins a little easier than ply.

Edited by Noel

It will certainly make it easier to lay track, bore holes under tie bar for point motors and fit dropper wires. I may not need to use the extension rods provided on Gaugemaster point motors to throw the points. I think i'll just leave the bare ply as there will be a better bond for PVA and scenics.

Edited by GNRi1959

I have used cork floor tiles from diy store Wickes. The sealed ones used sealed side down, it does make a difference if a chassis is noisy.  There is a company in Walsall who supply cork for all sorts of purposes Charles Cantrell. I bought 7mm thick strips that they sell as expansion joints for wooden flooring. They curve beautifully and two side by side are good for a single track main line. Browse their website for ideas. Just a satisfied customer.

6 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

I have used cork floor tiles from diy store Wickes. The sealed ones used sealed side down, it does make a difference if a chassis is noisy.  There is a company in Walsall who supply cork for all sorts of purposes Charles Cantrell. I bought 7mm thick strips that they sell as expansion joints for wooden flooring. They curve beautifully and two side by side are good for a single track main line. Browse their website for ideas. Just a satisfied customer.

Mike84C, I just got on with it and stuck down 3mm cork from a 10metre roll I bought at reasonable cost. Its down now and to be honest does nothing for sound in a shunting layout but just adds a little bit of depth of sleeper height and improves appearance. I am now ready to drill for point motors, fit droppers and fix track with pins to run serious tests.

I also need to get the baseboard joints sorted with copper clad strips.

Edited by GNRi1959