The Little Sugarbeats

Rate this topic

Morning peps,

Happy New Year!

Would anyone know where one could find a photo of an O&K Sugarbeat locomotive with the number on the bufferbeam?

As far as i'm aware, the Irish O&K Sugarbeat locomotives carried three plus liveries....

Large painted side tank number with yellow lining

IMG_20181223_160529.jpg.0c97e1f4d485128cb8c67dd467ab27fe.jpg

O&K No.3 with this livery at DCDR on its first day back in pass. service. Dec.2018

Small brass side tank number with yellow lining

IMG_20180827_123419.jpg.80f7c73eb409a415edb83646b0e1d9f0.jpg

O&K No. 1 with this livery at DCDR. Aug.2018

Painted bufferbeam number, possibly with yellow lining?

no photo

As to this, would anyone know of any other liveries the O&K carried?

- Me & a mate sat up past 4am last night discussing this via text 😅

Thx in advance!

Also, thanks for the help on the "Chips" subject :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

RN Clements pic of Thurles No 1, small brass (?) '1' can be made out. No lining discernible. Sporting shunting hook and GSR/CIE style headlamp instead of the large continental type, as supplied when new. The smokebox lamp iron appears to have been omitted on the DCDR restoration.

20190125_162700.jpg

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Informative 1

Detail of photo of Carlow in 1960 of what I assume is Thurles No.3, all the Cockerill VB locos having been withdrawn by 1955/56. Faint trace of a light colour lining visible.

Interestingly Carlow No 2 was transferred to Mallow in 1950, Mallow having two No 2s for a while.

Mallow No 1 sent to Carlow as a stationary boiler in 1956. Thurles No 2 sent to Carlow in 1959 for same reason.

20190127_115757.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2019 at 1:24 PM, tonybonneyba said:

IMG_20180827_123419.jpg.80f7c73eb409a415edb83646b0e1d9f0.jpg

What is the yellow carriage in the background,  Could you please tell me about the yellow carriage in the background, has it something to do with maintenance? In the large collection of Irish railway models I bought two years ago, there were 3 bright yellow coaches, sorta engineering stuff with 'maintenance' written on them , i thought they were English maintenance stuff, so i put them away in box marked 'for sale'.

It's an NIR 80 class railcar acquired from NIR, for long term restoration. The one to its left is another. the remaining two-car set is now restored and the interior being worked on.

The four 80 class cars are all at Downpatrick. The reason this one is yellow is that after withdrawal from passenger use by NIR it was used as part of the sandite track maintenance train, spreading this compound on rails in autumn to prevent wheel slip. NIR now have a new machine for this purpose, hence its withdrawal. 

The 80 class were introduced in 1974 and 1978 and withdrawn from normal passenger use about ten years ago.

• Informative 1

21 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

It's an NIR 80 class railcar acquired from NIR, for long term restoration. The one to its left is another. the remaining two-car set is now restored and the interior being worked on.

The four 80 class cars are all at Downpatrick. The reason this one is yellow is that after withdrawal from passenger use by NIR it was used as part of the sandite track maintenance train, spreading this compound on rails in autumn to prevent wheel slip. NIR now have a new machine for this purpose, hence its withdrawal. 

The 80 class were introduced in 1974 and 1978 and withdrawn from normal passenger use about ten years ago.

Thank You,