CIE COAL WAGONS

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

6 answers to this question

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/libraries/kilkenny-county-library/reading-room/physical-landscape/castlecomer-train-station.jpg

spacer.png

the above is a picture of a train standing at Castlecomer Station - a line that was purely built to service a coal mine. If there was ever a place you were going to see Coal Wagons on the Irish network..............as you can see its a typical GW&SR/GSR/50/60's CIE scene.....JHB is spot on........ CIE didn't build purpose built Coal wagons - either for their own fuel needs or to transport for commercial interests.....whatever could be purposed for the task was used..............

I think people underestimate how utterly broke this country was for the first 40 years of its existence after independence - we were a bit like an Eastern Atlantic version of Cuba - we embarked on a dose of self sufficiency or as close as for a couple of decades after independence - this manifested itself in a credit drought and the re-use, re-purpose and repair of capital equipment on Irish Railways well beyond expected life spans....and also getting the absolute maximum return out of every piece of equipment.......................another age completely compared to now.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Edo said:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/aai-files/assets/libraries/kilkenny-county-library/reading-room/physical-landscape/castlecomer-train-station.jpg

spacer.png

the above is a picture of a train standing at Castlecomer Station - a line that was purely built to service a coal mine. If there was ever a place you were going to see Coal Wagons on the Irish network..............as you can see its a typical GW&SR/GSR/50/60's CIE scene.....JHB is spot on........ CIE didn't build purpose built Coal wagons - either for their own fuel needs or to transport for commercial interests.....whatever could be purposed for the task was used..............

I think people underestimate how utterly broke this country was for the first 40 years of its existence after independence - we were a bit like an Eastern Atlantic version of Cuba - we embarked on a dose of self sufficiency or as close as for a couple of decades after independence - this manifested itself in a credit drought and the re-use, re-purpose and repair of capital equipment on Irish Railways well beyond expected life spans....and also getting the absolute maximum return out of every piece of equipment.......................another age completely compared to now.

As JHB said GSR & CIE used the standard Irish open wagon a 1916 design for general goods and coal traffic. The Irish standard wagons were generally similar in design to wagons used in the UK.

Nice photo most likely in GSWR days almost looks like a fine scale model, possibly a "colourised" black and white photo. Station looks like a weatherboard version of Rosslare Strand and other stations on the Rosslare Route.

I don't buy the Cuban analogy, the GSR & CIE continued to invest it physical plant and freight rolling stock up to date between the 1920s & early 1980s. 

Most of IEs current freight rolling stock is at least 30-40 years old, while the standard open wagons in the Castlecomer photo are of a new design at the time 4-5 years old.

Hi guys & many thanks, so here's something I read / was told about a long time ago.  It was about a coal unloading site / depot in Bray Co. Wicklow, where apperantely boats unloaded coal into wagons which then distributed the coal around the county !!!  I have no proof of any of this but I'm hoping someone will be able to confirm this or maybe not.  Thanks again,

BTB

The postcard above is indeed a “colourised” one. The wagons would all have been plain grey in that pic, standard GSR ones. Since the loco doesn’t look to be lined, though more importantly when this line was opened, it too will be plain grey, albeit a much darker shade, looking almost black when dirty.

The multicoloured wagons are a fiction for Ireland, in all of the very few places coal was handled.