Carriages behind a 121 in original livery

Rate this topic

Wexford70

No book specifically about them, but a number of books cover CIE’s 1955-63 railway modernisation programme.

To get the whole story, we need to go back to the GSR modernisation programme which resulted in the 1933, 1935 and 1937 “Bredins”, and the follow-up series of new CIE coaches in 1951-3. The bulk of what were known as “laminates” were a follow on from these, built 1956-61.

The pic appears to be a brand new rake, probably among the last built. 

Just a short time after that, the Cravens were introduced....

Last of them were withdrawn in the late 1980s.

What I liked about the laminates was the sheer variety.

Anyone who hasn’t got it, try to get via fleabay the first edition of “Irish locomotives and rolling stock”, a small but very comprehensive “spotters book” by Oliver Doyle & Stephen Hirsch, published in the 1980s. You’ll be amazed at the various permutations of all things laminate....

Even the next edition of it, after which much of this stuff is withdrawn, is fascinating.

But a 1962 edition would have been the size of seven New York telephone directories due to the sheer variety of everything, and numerous one-off variations!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2

I loved that book! NI railways were fairly sterile in the 80s - although compared with nowadays it was a paradise of interest! CIE by contrast was an amazing happy hunting ground full of relatively ancient stock - with Inchicore yard full of even older relics such as the G class and Sulzers. The departure of trains such as the Sligo Mail from Connolly had a real sense of occasion about it. Add in the freight flow, the ancient signalling that persisted in many places, a crop of derelict rusty branches that still trailed enticingly off the main lines,  and you had a railway that held your interest ! 

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
On 3/15/2020 at 5:58 AM, jhb171achill said:

What I liked about the laminates was the sheer variety.

Anyone who hasn’t got it, try to get via fleabay the first edition of “Irish locomotives and rolling stock”, a small but very comprehensive “spotters book” by Oliver Doyle & Stephen Hirsch, published in the 1980s. You’ll be amazed at the various permutations of all things laminate....

Even the next edition of it, after which much of this stuff is withdrawn, is fascinating.

But a 1962 edition would have been the size of seven New York telephone directories due to the sheer variety of everything, and numerous one-off variations!

Maybe we'll see a 'project 61' but I won't built up my hopes. In the initial 1951-5 rolling stock building programme under CIE the first several composite coaches were built on the 60' chassis then in use for many years following the 57' chassis for bogie stock. Thereafter almost every coach built by CIE was in the new 61'6"" chassis, even the second 5 composites following the initial batch. The originals had 3F 4T compartment while they second batch had 4F and 3T compartments due to the longer chassis. Almost every CIE coach, thereafter, brakes, composites, compartment thirds, open thirds,  were built on that chassis. Commonwealth bogies although some GSR style bogies seem to have been re-used.

Is there a link to the photo you posted or its your own @Wexford70 I just wanted to zoom in on the stock to see if possible to identify them better.

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 5:02 PM, jhb171achill said:

Fairly new “laminates” in original green livery.

There appears to be nameplates on the carriages, suggesting it is one of the two Cork named trains, which may also be why the carriages are so tidy.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1