RPSI May Tour

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

The DCDR has also had to close down completely for the duration.

Easter trains on this line were always a major boost to pay for winter maintenance, track work, loco and coach maintenance and so on. Mayday trains also got the railway back onto an adequate financial footing before the main summer season - coal had to be bought, and so on. When I did the finances there, once I knew what the profit was from May and Easter, I could copper-fasten budgets for different aspects for the season until Christmas. The Santa results comprised almost half of the year's net income.

This will place an extremely serious burden indeed on the DCDR, RPSI and all heritage railway operations this season.

Malahide is also closed, at the worst possible time - its first year.

I have just been speaking with a colleague in the tourism business, who tells me that CIE tours have cancelled everything. Colleagues in Co Kerry report absolute disaster.

Let us hope those of us who can, may donate to some of the heritage volunteer groups, but that governments north and south will open their wallets wide.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Absolutely right JHB ! Was talking to my dad about this last night given his experience in the area ....

Yes, your dad and myself between us counted the ha'pennies in the RPSI for almost fifty years! And both of us - your dad more so nowadays, are still involved in the odd bit of fund raising. In recent years, my own activities have been reduced to selling raffles and books on the May tour, but it's cancelled too.....!

Strange times.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, your dad and myself between us counted the ha'pennies in the RPSI for almost fifty years! And both of us - your dad more so nowadays, are still involved in the odd bit of fund raising. In recent years, my own activities have been reduced to selling raffles and books on the May tour, but it's cancelled too.....!

Strange times.

Well, I may use part of my three month lock-down to put Syndicate stuff on eBay and get a younger neighbour to post things for me. Over the years The Syndicate has raised tens of thousands for Irish Preservation.

That's if I have any tine from trying to get back the money on a load of train travel in Europe planned over Easter!

Still taking orders for Provincial Wagons - never a better time to try one of my kits!

Keep well, folks.

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

I can attest to what Leslie says.

As a rookie RPSI Treasurer in the 1980s, I well recall getting some very nice donations in from a certain Mr. L McAllister of Camberley. Such donations were very very welcome indeed at a time when the RPSI's finances had to be nursed, over a three-year period, back from borderline bankrupt to what passes for solvency in any such heritage organisation.... so well done, "The Syndicate".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 2:16 PM, jhb171achill said:

The DCDR has also had to close down completely for the duration.

Easter trains on this line were always a major boost to pay for winter maintenance, track work, loco and coach maintenance and so on. Mayday trains also got the railway back onto an adequate financial footing before the main summer season - coal had to be bought, and so on. When I did the finances there, once I knew what the profit was from May and Easter, I could copper-fasten budgets for different aspects for the season until Christmas. The Santa results comprised almost half of the year's net income.

This will place an extremely serious burden indeed on the DCDR, RPSI and all heritage railway operations this season.

Malahide is also closed, at the worst possible time - its first year.

I have just been speaking with a colleague in the tourism business, who tells me that CIE tours have cancelled everything. Colleagues in Co Kerry report absolute disaster.

Let us hope those of us who can, may donate to some of the heritage volunteer groups, but that governments north and south will open their wallets wide.

i extremley doubt the governments will do anything for us john

I hate to say it, Martin, but I strongly suspect you're right!

The RPSI's finances are in a precarious enough state at present without this. The DCDR depends on an annual grant from Down Co Council. With the mother and father of all recessions now certain, the council will be watching pennies as never before.

• Like 1