Midland Man workbench

Rate this topic

Midland Man

If you are going to use a brass boiler don't forget to get as much weight all around the loco and that includes the rear end as wel. also  if you can get a new motor that will also take a flywheel all the better.

Good luck with the project.

Colin Rainsbury

• Like 1

Thanks Colin and Galteemore but I have decided  not to go through as the model was not that great and did not spend enough time researching the engine instead I am going to go a bit crazy by going O and building a C class in original condition and painted blue. O is a big step but if done well will look good so I am going to research The C class an try and find some royal blue. I think the Dargan saloon is in the right shade?

By the way should point out that I am not really a Newbie only that I have messed up quite a lot of times witch has given me lots of experience.

Two years ago, met a chap at an exhibition who said he was planning to do a kit of a C class, in 7mm scale. Even produce a resin casting of the cab from his pocket. 

We swopped email addresses, but haven't heard from him since...

The C class should make a really nice model, because while it looks like a proper main line loco, it is fairly short and will fit a small layout nicely. Plus, they made it to Courtmacsherry, in my mind the perfect branch terminus.

• Like 1

Really 

The Cs are one of my favorite engines one question I would like to ask everyone and that is how to cut and draw irregular curves.The reason being is that the Cs have a lots of curves and I don't know how to cut them. If someone could help it would b great as I will probably be starting building on Monday as I am getting some brass.

Have a look at the site I mentioned earlier, MM, and those books may be helpful. A set of French curves will give you templates for most curved shapes. What you could do is draw an outline and photocopy it (assuming you have access to such equipment in your place of confinement). Stick that on a sheet of 10 thou brass and then cut with strong scissors or tinsnips, just outside the drawn line. Then file to shape. This may also be of use...

Edited by Galteemore

In many ways, diesels can be harder than steam engines, because of the complex curves. Some aspects are therefore best done from solid - plastic, resin, etc - and lots of gentle filing. Front ends and roofs can certainly come into this category.

The modern way is 3d printing of course...

2 hours ago, David Holman said:

In many ways, diesels can be harder than steam engines, because of the complex curves. Some aspects are therefore best done from solid - plastic, resin, etc - and lots of gentle filing. Front ends and roofs can certainly come into this category.

The modern way is 3d printing of course...

David:

Midland man is planning to build a MGWR C Class 4-4-0 a large Edwardian steam loco not unlike a GER Claud Hamilton rather than a C Class diesel! 

Class C - 5 CROAGH PATRICK - Cusack MGWR Class C 4-4-0 - built 1910 by Broadstone Works - 1924 rebuilt with superheated Belpaire boiler and to MGWR No.26 - 1925 to GSR as No.539, 1935 rebuilt, 1939 rebuilt with bigger boiler, 1945 to CIE - 1952 withdrawn.

• Like 2

Mayner is right.

It is a midland (Irish) C class built by the MGWR in 1915 as the As could not go on the Sligo line as they were too heavy. 

2 hours ago, David Holman said:

Oops! Handsome engine though.

They were but we're very bad prefomers and all were withdrawn by 1959.

55 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

Mayner is right.

It is a midland (Irish) C class built by the MGWR in 1915 as the As could not go on the Sligo line as they were too heavy. 

They were but we're very bad prefomers and all were withdrawn by 1959.

There is a totally different account of Cs (D6 & D7) performance by Jack O'Neill and Drew Donaldson in a "Decade Of Steam in the Fifties" an RPSI paperback published in the early 70s, where they are described as free steaming but rough riding engines.

Jack O'Neill describes firing 540 on the Up Galway mail from Mullingar to Dublin and calls them "fine mainline steeds".

Drew describes D6 543 'doing well" with the Claddagh Express in 1953 (a forerunner of the Cu-na-Mara diesel trains) exceeding 70 down Woodlawn bank and knocking 3 minutes off the schedule between Ballinasloe & Athlone with a max of 67½mph and similar exploits with 538 on an up Sligo Night Mail in 1950 and 536 on a Limerick-Dublin train (via Nenagh) in 1939.

The poor performing assessment of Midland 4-4-0s appears to have been made by Inchacore engineering staff who were familiar with GSWR loco practice and distrustful of the works of Broadstone, following the introduction of the AEC railcars there was very little work for large 4-4-0s on the Midland system, the majority of Midland and GSWR large 4-4-0s were withdrawn within the same timeframe (1953-1959).

Personally the odd thing is that nothing appears to have been done to reduce their rough riding, though the Woolwich Moguls had a similar reputation.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Anthony Burges’ ‘Chasing the Flying Snail’  makes reference to a trip on D5 no 550 in 1953. His experience was unfortunate due to appalling fuel which led to abysmal steaming (he fired the loco on at least part of the trip from Dublin to Dromod). He was glad to leave the footplate - the rough riding can’t have helped ! (Original post edited to reflect my mistake).

2E0D46BC-ACC4-4AE5-B5BE-FD20B23D45A0.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Informative 1

On 4/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Midland Man said:

Really 

The Cs are one of my favorite engines one question I would like to ask everyone and that is how to cut and draw irregular curves.The reason being is that the Cs have a lots of curves and I don't know how to cut them. If someone could help it would b great as I will probably be starting building on Monday as I am getting some brass.

If you can get hold of a copy,  it has to be Miniature Locomotive Construction by John H Ahern isbn 085344 075 1 well worth ever penny or Euro as it would be today

Colin Rainsbury

• Like 1

On April 7, 2020 at 1:09 PM, Galteemore said:

Anthony Burges’ ‘Chasing the Flying Snail’  makes reference to a trip on D5 no 550 in 1953. His experience was unfortunate due to appalling fuel which led to abysmal steaming (he fired the loco on at least part of the trip from Dublin to Dromod). He was glad to leave the footplate - the rough riding can’t have helped ! (Original post edited to reflect my mistake).

2E0D46BC-ACC4-4AE5-B5BE-FD20B23D45A0.jpeg

Really I was in a book shop in Dublin and was going to buy that book but bought Irish steam I the 1960s.

• Like 1

Books are a great resource both for information and inspiration! Unlike years ago, finding 2nd hand books is fairly straightforward. Sites such as Biblio and Abebooks make it easy, so titles that I regret not buying can be snapped up. I’d passed by the Flying Snail book a few times but kept coming back to it. One you probably should look for, given your interests, is Clements and McMahon - ‘Locomotives of the GSR’. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

Now for something ORANGE!

A long time back (well it feels long) I was working on a orange DSER carriage in CIE livery from the 60s. Now after a bit of work on the C (which I will come to later) I have pt the first coat of orange on it. The coat is not perfect but when the black and white is on it it should look class.here is a pic

image.thumb.jpeg.f5fdf0e031c3e22f7c543ab2f50b84a8.jpeg

Now to the C class with the white metal I got a few days ago I am going to build the inside frame of the engine. The frames will then connect the cab and the cab will the hold the boiler (kind of) in place For this I will need some kit so I am going to use a peircing saw as I find it is the best opption. So tomorrow the final designs for the frames will be made up. In the pic it show on piece (the peice that will make up the frames) is on the wheel spacing drawing which show the distance from each wheel.

image.thumb.jpeg.19339a98c0a85a46769a2312164ab362.jpeg

Hope you all like.

MM!

• Like 2

Thanks Colin

Now for something train formation!

So for today something more interesting train formation for the future OO gauge layout. Since  it is a branch line the will only 4 trains each way that mean only 4 formations. Here is the order.

1st Morning goods train (up)

2nd Morning mixed train(down)

3rd lunch goods train (down)

4rd lunch mixed train(up)

5th Afternoon passenger train (down)

6th Afternoon goods train (up)

7th evening goods (down)

8th late evening mixed (up)

So there will be two goods one and two mixed with wagons being taken off at both yards at either end of the layout. The will also be two special trains for the era 

1st 1961 rail tour includes 184 in GSWR green and CIE green stock with silver heating van.

2nd 1964 rail tour includes 186+131(the J15 not the GNRI U class) with GSWR/Park royals in CIE orange.

So a big enough amount o stock but will be very small formation only a coach and a few wagons for years mixed trains. So hope you all like.

MM

• Like 2

Sounds good, but do you mind if I can make a suggestion, don't go mad buying all this kit right away I would suggest getting one loco, two coaches and five mixed wagons, while that might not sound like much, it will however give you enough stock while you are building the layout to play trains with.  

good luck with the project sound very interesting.

Colin

• Like 3

Thanks Colin

You are 100% right on this and have thought long and hard about it and I will need about 5 coaches and 25 wagons as its a branch that the station is modeled on so I am using this principle what goes in comes out, so if the morning goods comes with 5 wagons and a brake the evening mixed may have 3 of the 5 wagons so I wound need that much stock.

Welcome back 

And now for something O!!!!!!!!

today I starte the stucture for the waiting shelter at Moate. It a long building being 4100mm long. I now sea why modeling O is so fun. My model of Moate will be for shows as to build it in the house will be impossible due to its size.  Mean while no work has been done on the C as I don't want to mess it up with the tools I got. Hope you like the pic of the 'frames' as they will be coved with thin plaster card to give a nicer feel. 

MMimage.thumb.jpeg.99ef1c21db19ae2822340b2e550717c7.jpeg

By the way two people have asked for drawings but this was made from measurement I made many a year ago.

• Like 2

Just a quick update 

The last post did not look the best and I have been doing a lot of work to the model. 

I have put supports into the model to make it a lot stronger after that was done I began to put the plaster card on the outside to give the model a concrete feel. Sadly I am low on plaster card and only have scraps of the stuff and is not enough to cover the whole model so more of the stuff will be ordered. As wel as that the waiting shelter at Moate had two windows at each end so those will have to be srcatch built as well. If any one was ever in the shelter (before the green way) please tell me what it was like as I have zero photos/info of inside.image.thumb.jpeg.c9a7a2004bde3342f5547d7b7e739a5f.jpeg

MM

• Like 3