N gauge automated layout - Weston Parkway

Rate this topic

Nick

Ah that Loco got me back into Railway Modelling after buy a set in the Old Beatties in Holborn in London whilst on Hols. I was blown away by the detail back then yet N gauge has come on leaps and bound. I don't admit that fact I bought an LMS Engine too lightly being in the totally wrong colour green!

Fab work on the layout mate, I am blown away by all this automation stuff, Beyond my patience zone tbh.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 9:34 PM, Georgeconna said:

Ah that Loco got me back into Railway Modelling after buy a set in the Old Beatties in Holborn in London whilst on Hols. I was blown away by the detail back then yet N gauge has come on leaps and bound. I don't admit that fact I bought an LMS Engine too lightly being in the totally wrong colour green!

Fab work on the layout mate, I am blown away by all this automation stuff, Beyond my patience zone tbh.

Thank you! It's not too hard, it's just time consuming to be fair. 

Now for some run of the mill modelling; 

https://youtu.be/NjdrT9sYp_s

A new video to help with the boredom of lock down. This is a new channel and I'd be really appreciative of anybody who subbed!

• Like 1

Because they don't make a modern DDA compliment model footbridge kit, I've had to scratch build my own. Never scratch built anything before! Here's the basic carcass from 1mm card. I've still one more platform to install when peco start to send out platform edging again! 

IMG_20200512_170031.jpg

IMG_20200512_163613.jpg

IMG_20200512_170046.jpg

IMG_20200512_170038.jpg

IMG_20200512_163622.jpg

Edited by Nick
  • Like 4

I used scalescenes download and print roads, glued down with pritstick of all things. Just make sure you have a good printer with one of those "ecotanks"... you'll need all the ink you can get!  

96721750_3032818253439643_7176845241574490112_n.jpg

97319437_1334543280268011_12823926237298688_n.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This week we're on to a winner, Digikeijs returned my DR5088RC in an operable condition today!!! However, they did not repair my laptop which their unit caused damage to which is a real shame and I will now have to save up to buy another :(

I ordered, and received a DR5033 booster unit, just awaiting the cables now to go between my baseboards before I go about installing this. 

I have built some more buildings, a Faller Aldi, and their Horrem station building, I think they really work well with the layout. 

I have started a scratch build for the platform footbridge, as there is not a model that depicts a DDA complaint bridge ready made at all in n gauge, all are stairs and no lifts (suitable for layouts up to around 2010, but no more modern than that).

Superelevation is all but complete, with a small amount to finish on the junction end of the layout. 

I added a bay platform to the branch, I think it adds a nice touch of modern style platforming. Speaking of platforms, I tried incredibly hard to get eight packs of Peco NB-27 platform edging from any one supplier, but failed miserably - after having Hattons forget my preorder and re-allotting my stock to general sale and selling out, and then ordering from Osborns, to find out they were selling stock they didn't actually have...  Ordered from two suppliers on Amazon as a final resort but took a huge hit on postage fees. 

Finally I have a working layout again, BUT... I have ordered as new DR5088RC literally just for the bay platform... so I'll have six units for eight baseboards. On the next two pay cheques, I will be buying one more each time so I can have one per baseboard, and this will allow for MUCH simpler wiring between baseboards, and thus much more reliability (although it is already quite reliable). 

I have left a few links here to my progress on my YouTube channel where I have bought a DJI Osmo Pocket to now keep my progress well documented. 

Please subscribe if you haven't, I will be uploading content very regularly and trying to show lesser known aspects of railway modelling such as the automation in a simple way. 

Thanks! 

Nick. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Big announcement! 

For ages I have been saying that the automation is being refined, it will be ready soon... 

Well today I managed to run the layout for 3 hours non stop and not a single software error or derailment was had. 

Today I can finally say we have a reliable and interestingly ran layout, whilst packed with trains and lots of action with short headways. 

Here is a quick clip of the automation in action, with prototypical speeds and stopping areas etc. Much more to come as I introduce more trains to the software.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

• 4 months later...