Moate station

Rate this topic

Jack O'Brien

Hi all, I am planning to model moate station in oo gauge during the early to mid 1920s. I was wondering if anyone has any drawing or diagrams of the station at that point. I was also wondering what locomotives were used there in the time period I'm modelling. When did the MGWR stop painting engines blue and when did they repaint all the engines and coaches. What coulors was the station panted. I would appreciate all help and information.

• WOW! 1

Hey Jack

MOATE STATION IN 1920! I have all the drawings of the station when they did a survey in 2015 I think. Modaling Moate in 1920 would be hard as it is impossible to get any drawings of a A or C class (steam engines) I live near Moate and have surveyed the station a million times so I was going to model it myself in O gauge. If you want any help please just ask as I know people who could get you inside the station.If you need pics join the IRRS as they have lots of photos of the area.

The book is available here Jack for £15 all in, which is pretty good. It also includes a few drawings so you can build your own wagons etc. It’s a good resource for such a serious project - and costs less than a Hornby wagon! https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=Shepherd+&tn=Midland+great+western+&kn=&isbn=

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 6:58 PM, Midland Man said:

Hey Jack

MOATE STATION IN 1920! I have all the drawings of the station when they did a survey in 2015 I think. Modaling Moate in 1920 would be hard as it is impossible to get any drawings of a A or C class (steam engines) I live near Moate and have surveyed the station a million times so I was going to model it myself in O gauge. If you want any help please just ask as I know people who could get you inside the station.If you need pics join the IRRS as they have lots of photos of the area.

He it's a pity those pictures are hard to come by. Can you send on those photos as I need something to keep the boredom at bay during this virus 

On 3/28/2020 at 6:59 PM, Galteemore said:

The book is available here Jack for £15 all in, which is pretty good. It also includes a few drawings so you can build your own wagons etc. It’s a good resource for such a serious project - and costs less than a Hornby wagon! https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=Shepherd+&tn=Midland+great+western+&kn=&isbn=

Thanks  

Edited by Jack O'Brien
  • Like 2

I posted a long post on midlandman's post the other day regarding MGWR liveries. PM me if there's anything specific you're interested in.

Regarding the blue locomotive livery, this was both short-lived and also only confined to a few locomotives, mainly those 4.4.0s which operated on the Broadstone-Galway main line. The various 0.6.0 goods engines would have remained green before, during and after the few "blue" years (mid 1910s) and afterwards. It is unlikely that any of the "G2" 2.4.0s were ever blue either. Only a small minority of coaching stock was blue & white. Locos were green, coaches brown, as explained in detail on midlandman's question.

After 1918 there was new livery. Black locomotives and very deep maroon coaches; mind you, many remained in the older livery after the GSR takeover in 1925, when locos all turned grey and carriages dark "crimson lake".

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, Jack O'Brien said:

Hi all, 

I was wondering if anyone has any drawings of the MGWR A, C, K , G2 or L classes. If anyone has drawings of wagons or carriages as well could you send them to me,

Thanks.

The GSR diagrams of MGWR locos were published as a supplement to New Irish Lines several years ago, https://newirishlines.org/ carriage and wagon General Arrangement drawings are available through the IRRS digital collection http://irishrailarchives.ie/index.php/archives/maps_drawings/.

Its believe that the MGWR locomotive general arrangement drawings may have been mislaid or destroyed at some stage, many of the carriage and wagon GAs in the IRRS archive are quite faded & some are damaged.

If you send me a PM with your personal e-mail address I will forward copies of GSR & Midland loco diagrams.

• Like 1