Ballyclare Paper Mill Sidings

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

Just discovered this gem of a photo from the 'Britain from Above' website, showing the layout of the narrow gauge lines at the paper mill in Ballyclare, County Antrim.  The photo dates from 1929 but the paper mill trains continued until 1950 and were in fact the reason this fragment of the Ballymena & Larne line survived until then.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/XPW028723

• Like 3

Further investigation, involving the invaluable railway-exploration tool that is Google Earth, reveals a possible amazing survivor.  The Ballyclare paper mill sidings were quite extensive and gave direct access into what appears to be a stone-built shed, marked with a white arrow in the original view.  I believe this shed still exists, much extended, and I have also marked it with a white arrow in the recent Google Earth screen grab - it is also viewable on Google Street View (3rd picture).  This seems to be the only surviving building from what was quite a large complex and if so, it represents a fascinating link to a distinctive operation on the County Antrim narrow gauge railways.

Definitely on the list for the post-virus explorations.

Note: The original photo dates from 1929, one year before the cessation of passenger services on the Doagh extension of the LMS-NCC, which is visible at the bottom of the picture.

Ballyclare Paper Mill 01.jpg

Ballyclare Paper Mill 02.jpg

Ballyclare Paper Mill 03.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative 2

2 hours ago, airfixfan said:

Very interesting Patrick as photos of Ballyclare mill siding are scarce. There is a photo of this siding on page 56 of the revised edition of Pattersons classic book.

Yes indeed, that was the only one I've seen so the above aerial view was a great find!  There are a few others with it too on the Britain from Above website - worth checking out!!  Thanks for your reply.

There’s a nice shunting layout to complement “Capecastle”!

Found a few more NCC pics. Locations unknown but all around 1947-50.

These are poor prints but while the negatives aren’t the very top drawer, they’re a great deal better than these. However, I’m including them here as I think they give a sense of the NCC main line, 70 years ago.

Note how many flat-sided coaches are still evident. These are former Belfast & Northern Counties Railway stock.

EC5A56AD-5B8A-4C66-8DA7-CA4A116E6D73.jpeg

4A691527-9689-462B-92D0-321DC3CD4AC8.jpeg

30D3CFAD-35EA-4E94-8C76-300BF0755AE1.jpeg

26612A75-7654-4B64-A48A-6367A82FA8EA.jpeg

3F288996-8C77-4E1E-A59A-195A64F37229.jpeg

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Davey said:

Great pics JB - wonder where the middle photo is, it suggests a station on the DC line? Also, are the platforms staggered, the barrow crossing (?) seems to suggest this. 

Keep these amazing views coming please! 

I think it IS on the DC, but I cannot be sure until I match up Senior's notes with his pics.

• Like 1

Patrick,

I'm pretty sure that if you have a nose around in Ballyclare town you'll find a couple of buildings from the former station - my sister lives there and I went with my Bro in Law to have a tyre changed and realised I was in the station yard!

Keep well so that you can get there in a few months!

When I did my "Venturer" hike for the Scout badge of the same name - with Jim Neilly of BBC fame, as it happens - it was in the Ballyclare area and followed the narrow gauge line quite closely. I put a double page sketch map of the line in my hike report, which went down well with the examiner!

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3